1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just about to be a mini owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Jeff9000CD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just about to be a mini owner

hello everyone. after a long battle with myself on deciding what car i want i finally gave in and realized i'm going to get the car i've wanted for many years now. a mini

i've decided on eaither BRG, dark blue, dark gray, or black Mini S(preferably JCW but not necessary) but the one thing i cant choose(probably the most important part) is if i want it to be turbo or supercharged. i hear many great things from the older supercharged ones but the power from new turbo's sounds like a blast. also since supercharged are older they cost less.

i dont mean to have anyone fight over which ones better but can i get some opinions on who thinks whats more worth it?

please keep in mind im a bmw tech and can do all the maintenance myself. and i dont care about fuel mileage as much as i care about handling and power

Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, as a BMW tech I think you will be able to make up your own mind about which way to go, right?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 AM
Jeff9000CD
1st Gear
im looking for more of the positives and negatives on each side. although i am aware of the differences in design and features i dont know anything about the actual "feel" of driving them. im sure many people hear eaither have drivin both kinds or own both kinds, im just looking for some opinions.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeff9000CD
im looking for more of the positives and negatives on each side. although i am aware of the differences in design and features i dont know anything about the actual "feel" of driving them. im sure many people hear eaither have drivin both kinds or own both kinds, im just looking for some opinions.
Jeff, just by reading the posts on this forum you will learn more opinions than you could ever imagine. I know someone with almost every kind of MINI, and although there are differences, the fact remains all minis are a blast, some just more so than others. If you are into modding, than a plain MCS is a good place to start. I personally like the supercharged MINIs (R53), but the turbos (R56) have many refinements that some people like better.

Here's a link to all of the possibilities of tuning your mini into something more special than it already is. http://soopercooperinfo.com/lindaminidiy11-09.html

I would also recommend going beyond the forums. Meet up with your local MINI club and see first hand what others say about their cars. Most of them meet at least once a month and are a great source of friendship and help on anything MINI.