1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Package Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium Package Question...

I'm pretty close to snatching up a 2010 MCSa from a dealer's lot. Trying to take advantage of the August financing/package bonus. Pepper white, Black top/mirrors, Convenience Pkg, Premium Package 2, Piano black trim, Armrest and 16" Bridge Spokes.

Three Questions for my future Mini family:

1) On the 2010 models, is there a difference between Premium Package and Premium Package 2? The dealer has the package listed as Premium Package 2 which I thought was odd. I couldn't find anything on this.

2) I know a lot of you have experienced problems with the HPFP and/or cold start issues (and I hope all your problems have been solved). Are there any of you out there who haven't had these problems? *knock on wood*

3) I originally didn't want a sunroof because the mesh screen doesn't do a good job keeping the sunlight out. Have any of you tried tinting the glass (limo tint shade)? If so, does it make a big difference? Are there any other aftermarket solutions for this?

Thanks so much in advance and I'm so glad I found this forum. I've learned a lot from everyone.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 PM
thecanuck
3rd Gear
My sunroof is dark tinted with a UV style tint. It works fine without the mesh cover.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
thanks for the reply, canuck. i just read a few other posts saying how well the limo tint works on the sunroof.

i just found another 2010 MCSa at a nearby dealer with these options:
Premium Package, Convenience Package, Comfort Bluetooth/USB/iPod, Center Armrest, Piano Black, 16" Bridge Spokes in Chili Red with black top and mirrors. If I can get them to swap the rims to the 16" black Bridge Spokes I may go in for the kill.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 AM
thecanuck
3rd Gear
Piano Black is soooooo smooth. I say go for it.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
The PremPack2 has no upgraded HK sound. Just the sunroof and climate control system

Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
It sounds perfect! The premium package is worth the money. I had a 2009 MC equipped as you described. I went to Cooper Flags and bought the decal for the sunroof. It was perfect, blocked the sun. In my new 2010 Conv, I have the piano black..... it is nice.
Good luck. GO FOR IT!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Regarding question 2: I haven't had any problems with the HPFP and as far as I know the cold start issue was fixed earlier this year so you shouldn't have any problems with that (and if you do, it'll be under warranty so no worries).

I agree with piano black being really nice. My "secret compartment" gets a lot of fingerprints though, my only complaint.

The HK sound is nice if you like to listen to your music loud, but if you like listening to the sweet sound of an exhaust like I do, you won't miss it. I wish I had gotten the auto climate control though, my wife has it in hers and it's really convenient.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
brettno1
1st Gear
Regarding the sunroof, I had mine tinted with limo tint and it's worked out fine. There are also shades that are made to fit the sunroof that would block out the sun entirely. Check them out here. http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
just checked out the 2010 MCSa in the Chili Red that I mentioned earlier. if I can get the dealer to swap out the rims to the black ones and maybe knock a few hundred bucks off i think i'm going to pull the trigger. keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCSonMymind
I
3) I originally didn't want a sunroof because the mesh screen doesn't do a good job keeping the sunlight out. Have any of you tried tinting the glass (limo tint shade)? If so, does it make a big difference? Are there any other aftermarket solutions for this?
The tint guy who did my '03 recommended against tinting the moonroof, because it heats up the glass and can cause it to crack.

I've been using a modified foiled-foam front window shade I had lying around and holding it up there with the pull-out mesh screen. The $10-ish one from Wallyworld with the nice decorative oval swoops on each end. I cut along the folds and took the middle section out--right at the mirror dip on one side, one fold out from that on the other--and was left with two pieces that *perfectly* fit the moonroof. A split piece of gaffer's tape seals the edge of each, and it works great. Eventually I'll get a Zippee Shade, but until this thing starts looking too frumpy, why spend the $$$ there when I need to get a 15% pulley and all that stuff? I can get a Zippee Shade next spring....

HTH!

C ya,
Dutch

Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Update on the chili red 2010 MCSa:

So I took it for a test drive today and just to test out the warm/start issue, I let the car sit for a few minutes and tried starting it up again. FAIL! The car immediately stalled. Tried a 2nd time and it stalled again. After failing for the 3rd time, the MA got frustrated and searched through the onboard computer to see if there were any CELs but there weren't any. So I tried starting it a 4th time and it seemed a little weak so the MA told me to give it some gas and that seemed to do the trick.

The MA then made an excuse about the wrong key fob being in the car but no matter what, the MA was standing right next to me and the door was open. So the key fob was clearly within range to start the car.

Ultimately, I took it for another spin around the block and turned off the engine again when I got back to the dealership. I waited a few minutes and restarted the engine and it caught on fine this time. Such a peculiar problem for such a well designed piece of modern machinery. A car that has problems starting = useless. I'm going to have to rethink this whole thing. I wonder if the 2011 will have these issues.