1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
nametakennow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post

I've had my account for awhile, but haven't posted up til now because I hadn't felt the need to. I'm more of a reader around here, though I have been heavily involved in car forums before with my old car ('01 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 5spd).

I've had my '06 MCS (Chili Red/White) for a little over a year and have had way too much fun already. That said, I have had a few minor issues. My water temp sensor grommet melted, so I got a new one under what little warranty was remaining at the time. I'm at 50k now, so I figured I'd chase down my latest issue on my own unless it's going to be a pain.

Before I get to that, a little about me and my car: I've been into cars in general since well before I could drive. The MINI is the second car I've owned and my only vehicle. I've noticed a few random things about it that I'm not sure about. For instance, it appears that the previous owner installed fog lamps, but not the switch for them, so I haven't the faintest clue how to turn them on. Similarly, the car has aftermarket brake pads and slotted rotors in the front, but, from what I can see, no other modifications.

I have a fair amount of mechanical experience, so I'm comfortable digging around the car when I need to. Just this past weekend I did my first autocross in my brother's Mazdaspeed Miata and had an absolute blast, so I'm hoping to get in on some Atlanta-area events in my car soon. As a result, I have a sudden desire to fix my intermittent issue described below.

I have searched and don't need a long explanation if someone can point me to thread(s) or search term(s) on the subject, but here's the basic issue: If I get on it (70%+ throttle) in the lower rev range (under 3.5k) of any gear (usually happens in 2nd and 3rd), the car bogs/lurches a couple of times, as it's missing or starved for fuel temporarily. Is this the infamous "Yo-Yo" or what? I imagine it has to be a BPV or fuel issue.

Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction on this bogging!
-Winston

Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Welcome, Since your in Atlanta feel free to come by our shop and we'll see if we can help you out with any of your questions.

WAY
www.waymotorworks.com

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
If ya do not figure, check out WAy Motor Works in ATL.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Way will answer your question.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 AM
nametakennow
Neutral
I had no clue that there was a MINI specialty shop in Atl. When I get a chance I will drop by. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!