1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
not a pile, Squonk. Watch that manufacturing video: a neatly organized line of helpful robots holding them... secretly plotting their revolt.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAAAYYY BRG! Hahaha you won't be sleeping tonight! My guess is you'll be able to pick up tomorrow, just ask nicely! I got mine turned around in under 24 hours Can't wait for pics!

Thirdrail: oh the simple joys of life

Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thirdrail - right you are! And I certainly did not meant to offend the robots who will be building my ride! Robots - please build my car before launching your revolt, ok?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
BGR Alex
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squonk
That is GREAT news!!! Hopefully you don't have anything lengthy to be done at the dealer. My dealer said they will turn my car in 3-4 hours. Mine is still a pile of parts in the Oxford plant so I will look forward to hearing about yours!!!

You ordered yours only 10 days before mine so your dealers spot in line was waaay closer to production than mine was.
Yes, I got a little lucky with my production spot. There is a chance I'll receive my car in under 4 weeks from my initial order.

The only dealer accessory I have going in are the sport stripes. The paranoid part of me is concerned they won't be straight or will have bubbles!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
He's here, well almost:

Originally Posted by BGR Alex
MY CAR IS AT THE DEALER!

OMG I think this will probably be the hardest part of the wait.... knowing that the car is 10 miles away but still needs to go through the dealer prep stuff. I may see if I can drive by and find it on the lot tonight...
HEY ALEX, AND ALL YOU GALS/GUYS Lil Guy is here, well sort of, he is arrived at the dealership this morning in Schaumburg. Maria said that Lil Guy is very anxious to meet his owners and to get started on his new life. I've asked for pictures of him, I don't care if he's not cleaned up or not, just to make sure that he truly IS there. So, it looks like Saturday is the pick up day. Boy that is going to be one heck of a trip. I'd like to do an in to Chicago and then return that same day, but that's a 600 mile trip both ways. I think that Olga will probably nix that, so I imagine that Dubuque will be an overnight, maybe Davenport. Depends on if I can get Sunday off or not from work. Going to have to pull some strings to get Saturday off as it is. So, Lil Guy has FINALLY made the trip. Can't believe it really, this whole deal has been quite an adventure.

From what MiniUSA informed Maria, this is the first JCW to be shipped to the USA with the Chili Red interior trim rings and dash. Now someone will probably say that they've seen one some place else, but that's according to MINIUSA. Anyway, it's mine, or I should say, ours.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Travel Buddies!!

MY CAR IS AT THE DEALER!

OMG I think this will probably be the hardest part of the wait.... knowing that the car is 10 miles away but still needs to go through the dealer prep stuff. I may see if I can drive by and find it on the lot tonight...

Alex, I believe that our guys rode up from Baltimore together, as was the cae on the Fedora. Maria said that Lil Guy actually arrived at the dealership last night, but was processed this morning. So, that would mean that Lil Alex had enough time to go to Madison from Schaumburg.

So, this is great news for both of us. Funny though, I had to e-mail Maria to get the information that he was in. I just had that feeling that he was in this morning, while I was at work this morning. Funny I've had different feelings about the Lil Guy, all through this build, then the shipping and the arrival in Baltimore. Really scary really.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
awesome, hemi. that's quite a journey! And you guys'll have to take it eaaasssssssy on the way home on that new engine. At least you'll be getting good break-in miles!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
BGR Alex
2nd Gear
Yeah, remember to vary the RPM's Hemi. Don't use the cruise control!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
nxtMINI
2nd Gear
Congrats BGR Alex & Hemi, you'll be motoring in no time

I'm still waiting to order my 2011; I'm waiting till the December build for MINI Connected. I'm hoping to get my MINI by x-mas.... that would be an awesome present!

Last edited by nxtMINI; 10-25-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Hey Guys,

I learned many years ago and many new cars ago to do this: Fill the tank up, first. Get around 20 miles or so at low rpm, then take it out on the highway, or interstate, drive at variable speeds. Drive for a long period, at least two hours. Make the engine pull, but the key is to drive for a long period without turning the engine off. But vary it between 2000 grand up to 3000 grand the couple of hours. Then, vary from 2000 grand up to 4000 grand, in top gear. Maybe in the Mini in 5th gear. I'd hate to think what speed 4000 grand would be, so the main thing is to vary the speed, and you're right Alex, no cruise control, other than to see if it works.

In my High Performance car days, breaking in the engine this way was worth 20 hp. With the Mini, that might be 10 hp as well as mpg. How you break in your higher performance engine really makes a big difference. The engines today aren't as finicky as they were back in the old days, but it still can make a big difference in both, performance and mileage. Oh well, end of Professor Bills lecture.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's very fun & exciting just reading all you guys' posts on your status

Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
WoffordMini
1st Gear
Does anyone know if there is a way to see ship arrivals in brunswick? Michigan highway still a no show on any of the tracking sites

Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WoffordMini
Does anyone know if there is a way to see ship arrivals in brunswick? Michigan highway still a no show on any of the tracking sites
Mine is on that ship too--bet they know each other.
Unfortunately I have to leave for Florida on Saturday for business, and won't be back until Nov 8th, so LilBlu will be at the dealer (I assume) a few days before I can pick it up. By that time it will have been the "dealer Demo" and have a thousand miles on it. God, I'm having nightmares already.
When I ordered my Corvette two years ago, we flew out to Bowling Green and picked up the car at the factory to eliminate any delivery induced trauma. I can't help but wonder how many uncaring souls will have had their paws on my Mini before I do.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
fred
when I picked my first MINI it was in the showroom. I was standing there as a family of 4 were getting in and out of it and oohing and ahhing. They were very respectful. Hope!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Hey Guys,

In my High Performance car days, breaking in the engine this way was worth 20 hp. With the Mini, that might be 10 hp as well as mpg. How you break in your higher performance engine really makes a big difference. The engines today aren't as finicky as they were back in the old days, but it still can make a big difference in both, performance and mileage. Oh well, end of Professor Bills lecture.
This will be my guide, Professor Bill!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
1st Gear
Question

My ship is heading to Baltimore, Charleston, and Brunswick. Are MINIs unloaded at all these cities, and how do you know which one? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Your motor advisor will know which port that it unloaded at. All the Midwest dealers cars are delivered at the Baltimore POE.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
My car was at the VDC for approx. 2 business days.
Two to three days sounds about right.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
I have tried several times to look for a Brunswick webcam, but I could not find any.

I looked on the K-Line website. I found a schedule in Excel format. It says the Michigan Highway sailed from Southampton on 10/16 and is headed directly to Brunswick. It is due to arrive in Brunswick on 10/26 (although Marinetraffic.com has it scheduled to arrive on 10/25 at 11:30 AM)

http://www.kline.com/

Schedules --> RoRo/ Car Carrier --> "K" Line Atlantic RoRo Schedules (Excel) --> TAL IMPORT tab, look for voyage 22 A

Since it is a non-stop from Southampton, the ship will not come down the East Coast. It is making a kind of perpendicular approach. I doubt you will see on radar till several hours prior to docking. I hope I am wrong.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Orm
2nd Gear
Hemi & Alex: Happy Motoring to you two! I am so excited for you guys. Remember to post some pics when you have the chance.

Now, here is a list I was planning on using for my Mini checkup. I gathered it up from various sources over the Internet and modified it based on my specs.

INTERIOR

o All options present? Go down your build sheet line by line.
o Dealer programmed accessories. Are they working the way you want?
• Check keyless entry
• Check all key fobs.
• Windows go up & down? Smooth consistent motor speed?
• Turn signals etc working
• Radio: Don't be afraid to play it LOUD at the dealer. Use the radio. Used the CD player. AUX-in port, too. Bluetooth, USB-port. Make sure it all works. As well as the fit of the speakers in the doors and dash.
• other programmable features
o Check the dash and all instrumentation. Turn the car on and make sure all the warning lights go off,
o Steering wheel & Column. Does it tilt and telescope as designed? No strange noises going lock to lock?
o Full sunroof operation. Tips both panes and fully retracts.
o Check the fit and function of all the control ***** and switches. One by one.
o Interior lighting. Changing colors as designed? All other door sill, foot well and reading lights working?
o Air conditioning blowing cold and all climate controls working as intended?
o Seatbelts
o Fit and finish of interior.
• Look for stitching issues in the seats and check the seats for marks or tears and make sure they operate properly, Rear Seat Cover/Baby Seat Hold-Downs (no foam padding showing)
• Even/uniform carpeting coverage.
• Headliner is it firmly attached to the interior roof above the rear passenger windows.
• Scrapes or scratches on the side panels, dash or color line. No chipping on chrome plating.
o Make sure you get your mats if you ordered them
EXTERIOR

o Make sure all doors and panels align properly, (seen lots of comments about problems in this area)
o Uneven panel gaps? Run your finger along the different panel seams. Hood, doors, boot and bonnet.
If you feel (or see) the gap "pinch" together, ask them to fix it.
o All panels securely attached? Everything appear solid at the edges? Blank fenders, too? Rear spoiler, too? Grab 'em. Give 'em a wiggle.
o Tow Hook Cover, is it securely attached.
o Bonnet, boot and doors.
• All open and close in a uniform manner?
• Make sure your keys are programmed properly, doors and boot locks, windows open/close.
• Latches secure? Levers and handles feel solid?
• No notchy-ness, snags or strangeness?
• Everything appear to seal up tight? All seals appear smooth and even?
No budges or gaps that might suggest a future leak?
o Open the hood - even if you have no idea what goes on underneath. Make sure there is nothing obviously wrong - signs of oil or water or other dirt on the engine and underneath of the hood. it should be spotless.
o Is the bonnet making contact with the line running near the turbo? If so, ask for it to be relocated or a rubber "bumper" strip to be attached for some additional protection in that area.
o Windows: Check all glass for pits, and cracks - especially look for potential stress cracks on the windscreen
o No cracked fog lights or similar.
o Check your wheels and tires - they should be perfect - no dings or scrapes.
o Check brakes
o Check tire pressure and double-check they are mounted in the proper direction. There are little arrows on the side that show which way they should be rotating. Improperly mounted and inflated tires can affect something as simple as gas mileage... or cause something as bad as a firey crash (a mild exaggeration if you look at the big Firestone/Bridgestone fiasco a few years back). This is particularly important with run flat tires, since it is not likely that you will notice the feel of an underinflated tire.
o Paint & Finish: go over the entire exterior paint with your hand to identify the smoothness of the finish, there have apparently been damaged/repaired areas during transport that are not the same as manufactured quality. Check this outside in daylight.
o Dents, dings, scratches or scrapes in the surface suffered during shipping (rare, but happens)?
o Clear plastic paint rub circles for the bonnet and hood intact? They are located where the rubber "standoffs" meet the painted bodywork, to eliminate paint damage.
o All fluids present and topped off? Sounds silly, but... I never assume.
o Car jack and wrench, they should be identified as 5DD on the Vehicle Inquiry Report.
o All lighting equipment operational? Lights, blinkers, etc... headlights aimed properly.
o Wiper blades not leaving any streaks.
TEST DRIVE

o Turn the car on and walk around it when it’s running - listen for any out of the ordinary noises.
o Keep the hood up - listen for any odd noises
o Drive it off the dealer's lot with the radio off and a window open. Take the dealer with you.
o Make sure the car doesn’t pull excessively as you brake hard.
o Listen for wind noise during your test drive, too.
o Rattles or squeaks? all cars have 'em... but any that concern you, bring up to the dealer.
o Transmission noise and function. Upshifts and downshifts well? Any noises out of the ordinary tranny whine?
o Engine noise and function. Does it sound smooth? No misses, pops, surges or stumbles?
o All gauges appear to be working as intended? No bouncing speedo or burnt out LEDs in the display screens (very rare, but it happens)?
o Cruise control: Operate as normal, not inadvertently cutoff during operation.
o Document all and any problems when you are there and make sure the dealer agrees to fix them. If they are really severe don't accept the car and make them fix them asap. Ask for a loaner.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
WoffordMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
I have tried several times to look for a Brunswick webcam, but I could not find any.

I looked on the K-Line website. I found a schedule in Excel format. It says the Michigan Highway sailed from Southampton on 10/16 and is headed directly to Brunswick. It is due to arrive in Brunswick on 10/26 (although Marinetraffic.com has it scheduled to arrive on 10/25 at 11:30 AM)

http://www.kline.com/

Schedules --> RoRo/ Car Carrier --> "K" Line Atlantic RoRo Schedules (Excel) --> TAL IMPORT tab, look for voyage 22 A

Since it is a non-stop from Southampton, the ship will not come down the East Coast. It is making a kind of perpendicular approach. I doubt you will see on radar till several hours prior to docking. I hope I am wrong.
Thank you. I have looked at that schedule several times and never looked at that small box toward the bottom.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Thank you. I have looked at that schedule several times and never looked at that small box toward the bottom.
Sorry, I couldn't help you much. Too bad your car is'nt going to Charleston. I found a webcam shot last year which showed Fort Sumter, and allowed you to see all the ships going into Charleston.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Here is a video showing you how cars are secured aboard ships. I believe MINIs are secured by the front and rear tow hooks.

http://www.eukor.com/homepage/eukor/cargo_service.jsp

Old 10-25-2010, 05:37 PM
TruMini
3rd Gear
Orm -

Great checklist! Thanks.
I printed it out and have it stashed in my folder. My Countryman S is still showing "On Order" but I'll be ready when I go pick him/her up!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Thanks

[/QUOTE]

ORM: Thanks a bunch for this. Many of these I would do naturally, but a nice reminder, and yes I intend on printing this out to take with me to Chicago, very helpful. I would advise others that are picking up ANY car for that manner, to print this out and use this as a check off sheet. Especially the fit and finish issues, and window operation. I've hear some say that the window back up for opening the door sometimes has issues for not working. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group