1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you might know, Mexico isn't the safest place at the moment. Let's just say I took some preemtive measures just to be safe. I really wish I could tell you, but you never know who lurks on the internet

Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cfrm, that better be oil slick, caltrops or smokescreen launchers! On my r53 they sent out stickers you could put over the area where the toggle switches were so you could add these 'options'. I added an ejector seat. Passenger side of course.

Hemi, I know many people who had it done. I don't like that vie seen them yellow over time, though. Mileage varies. I didn't use one, and I did have a few rock ships over the years

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
TruMini
3rd Gear
Finalized the order order of my New Countryman S on October 20 and the automated 1-866-ASKMINI system told me that my car is in production and due to be completed on Nov 5th.
I actually told the automated system that I loved it!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM
CFRM
2nd Gear
I am very sad to inform you that yesterday night on the way back from dinner I got a warning light indicating "Engine Fault". The car has 32 miles and I assure you I'm one of the most careful peeople you can find. I didn't do any hard acceleration or sudden movements. Just before the light went on I was trying to get the cruise control to work. From what I've read it could be anything from a software upgrade to the Turbo
I had the car towed to the dealer at 1:00 AM and was told I would get a call back from the Service Director...

I really hope that the revised engine isn't plagued with gremlins. I'll keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group-img00199-20101028-0002.jpg   "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group-img00201-20101028-0003.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Oh noes!!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CFRM - Sorry to hear that! Let's hope it's just some loose wire or a software glitch. It is hard to believe that something major made it past the factory QA, VDC and then the dealer PDI process. Hang in there!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
CFRM: That really sucks, hate to hear this especially when I will be in the middle of nowhere Illinois on Sunday coming home from picking Lil Guy up. One good thing for me though, is that I have the same JCW engine that they have had for the past couple of years. Probably left over from then, if the truth be known. I do hope that they fixed the Cold Start rattle though.

I hope that what you are experiencing isn't something serious, but it still is a bummer.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Thank you guys, I'm just really frustrated having to deal with all this. Coming from Cambridge has made this worse. Down here you pay a yearly tax for taking the car on the road. I paid October in FULL so I could enjoy the car, not to let it sit at the dealer. I'll post an update later.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
CFRM: Sorry to hear of your troubles. May be something very minor. When I first picked up a BMW X5 some years ago, on the drive home from the dealership I used the power telescoping steering wheel to bring it forward a bit. As soon as I did that the whole dashboard lit up like a pinball machine (every single warning light) and the car went in to "limp home" mode. Turns out a wire got pinched and caused a commotion. This problem of yours will soon be a distant memory.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
WoffordMini
1st Gear
Michigan Highway is in key west. pretty sure it took our car with it.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
TruMini
3rd Gear
CFRM - any news??

Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
BGR Alex
2nd Gear
These flat black wheels are amazingly awesome. I'll post some teaser pics after I get back from my first drive.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Just got back from the dealer. They said that it was just a loose cable and a software glitch. They claimed they never saw the warning light, but when they scanned it showed those two errors. Drove just fine on the way back. I hope it doesn't happen again. Any way, this weekend I should be hitting some mountain roads to test it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes

P.S. Here's a shot I took at the dealer with a dark silver MCS behind me!

Attached Thumbnails "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group-img00204-20101028-1819.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
What happened

Originally Posted by CFRM
Just got back from the dealer. They said that it was just a loose cable and a software glitch. They claimed they never saw the warning light, but when they scanned it showed those two errors. Drove just fine on the way back. I hope it doesn't happen again. Any way, this weekend I should be hitting some mountain roads to test it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes

P.S. Here's a shot I took at the dealer with a dark silver MCS behind me!
That sounds very good, glad that it wasn't something serious, but it's still not something that we want to have happen on our way home. Car looks nice.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear

When I got back home and shut off the car the Turbo Fan stayed on. Thinking that this is normal I thought it would turn off in 15 minutes tops. I went out 3 hours later to check it out and it was still ON!
I just got back from the dealership... We'll see how it goes tomorrow

Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
What the hell?!?
Unacceptable!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Thirdrail, I knew MINIs were somewhat prone to faults, but the car has less than 50 miles, what's your take on it? Do you think I got a lemon? I have been saving for this car since 2003 and I'm starting to feel very dissapointed with the experience. I am coming from a 2001 Audi A3 which was faultless from the moment we took it out of the dealer until we sold it a month ago. I just want my car to work...

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
My only experience was my 06 mcs but I had no such out of the box problems. I've read very little about such occurrences in the current models. It sounds very unusual. I would make sure BMW/MINI in your country is informed of what you are going through, beyond just the dealer. I'm sure the dealer isn't playing games and it's a fluke. I suggest patience: I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but all cars have the potential to have hiccups here and there, and while you have experienced two very unfortunate and frustrating ones Right away, there's no reason to assume the whole car is a lemon. When you consider all of the factors that go into the assembly, test and retest, it's theoretically unlikely that different things would be failing all over the place. I'd wonder if orogramming is at fault on both. Regardless, go as high up in the vendor food chain as you can and get the service you require!!!

Beyond that, all I can say is that I pock up my clubman on Sunday, and if I encounter similar issues, I'll be sure to post!

Good luck, deep breaths, and look at the long view: you have years of motoring ahead of you!!! It's a wonderful car and you'll love it.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
I wish you the best on sunday, keep us posted and I'll be looking forward to some pics. I really hope you are right, I'm still sad bc I won't be able to go out this weekend since I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the road at night( I wanted to test the adaptive headlights).

I'll keep everyone posted tomorrow.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
CFRM
I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your brand new MINI. I am sure you will be taken care of by your dealer

Thirdraildesignlab
When did your car arrive at the dealer?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
CFRM: As Thirdraildesignlab insinuated to, don't just stop at the dealer on this, yes make sure that they know that you are in your opinion, there is no reason for all of this. But ask for the name and a way to contact the Area Supervisor for Mini/BMW in your area, or country. Then, send e-mails, letters to Mini/BMW Corporate. If you have printouts on what the problems have been so far, fax that to them, or make copies and send them to the Corporate Offices of Mini. In other words, make a stink out of it. Be polite, but firm as my old boss use to say. And remember, it's not fun now, but it will be soon.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Hemi and Thirdrail have said it best. Let MINI know that a bad egg has left the farm!

So sorry to hear that you are having these problems...

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM
AngryBrit
1st Gear
Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM
WoffordMini
1st Gear
Looks like we will be getting our car sometime next week. Estimated delivery day is 1st. Has anyone heard anything about the 1000 dollar incentive being extended to November??

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I was kind of wondering what the November incentives are going to be too. But, my Motor Advisor recommended us finalizing the deal on Lil Guy on Saturday. So, I'm not concerned now, and she wants her money too, so Lil Guy comes home about a week early.

Really, complete process has gone rather smoothly. We did the ordering on Sept. 8th, and the build process started late, but still on Sept. 28 and finished up on Oct. 5th. Where we got real lucky was on catching the Fedora boat and it left on Oct. 10th. Some people have had to wait a week or more. Then, we got lucky again and the Fedora is one of WW's fastest and newest ships, it made it to New York in 8 days and to Baltimore three days early. Two days at the VDC and onto the transport truck to Schaumburg where it arrive on Monday Oct. 25th.

So, it was 7 weeks and 3 days from ordering to my taking delivery of Lil Guy. That's not too bad, especially considering it was 4 weeks from ordering to birth of Lil Guy. If it were like normal, and the build would have started within a week, it might have been only 4 weeks or less. Not too bad at all.

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group