1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
When my Lil Guy came across on the Fedora last month, it stopped at New York, then Baltimore, where he got off, then it went on to Savannah to let off Mini's, and others, there. These ships don't just stop at one or two ports. The Fedora, after stopping at Savannah went thru the Panama Canal on to New Zealand. With a capacity of over 8,000 cars, they can deliver to many ports.

As for the reports on ASK-MINI, eve a week ago, they had Lil Guy at the Southampton port waiting for loading. Maybe I should check now, but I can't remember the production number now.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey squonk, I found out I was on the Topeka by putting VIN into the cargo field on the off chance. Car gets off at Baltimore. Sorry they're not on the same trip- looks like my car is solo too.
MANON is scheduled for the 8th at Southampton. so is COURAGE. Both stop at Brunswick- you'll be on one of them, surely.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Sauron - Yep I figured I'd be on the Manon or Courage when I looked last Tuesday. My poor car has probably been accosted by drunken sailors in the port! Hopefully if it got a tattoo, it is a cool one. I hope everything goes well for you on the Topeka!

I just checked the WW site again, still no record of my VIN on a ship. Since both of those ships sail on Monday, hopefully the VIN will appear on the manifest Monday as well.

Which new tires are you planning to put on your MCS?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are close!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
I don't have the luxury of summer and winter tires (apartment living), so I'm looking at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Everyone here on NAM seems to rave about them.
Since I have 16" wheels, I'm going to have to get 205/55/16. The threads here indicate it shouldn't be a problem. I've emailed alex, just in case.
I considered aftermarket 17" wheels, but have decided against the expense for now. Maybe later.
Should make for a slightly more accurate speedometer, though

Hope to be able to sell the stock summer RFTs soon and at a price that should cover most if not all of the tire+installation- isn't winter the best time to buy summer tires for next year?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Spring Tires

Originally Posted by Sauron
I don't have the luxury of summer and winter tires (apartment living), so I'm looking at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. Everyone here on NAM seems to rave about them.
Since I have 16" wheels, I'm going to have to get 205/55/16. The threads here indicate it shouldn't be a problem. I've emailed alex, just in case.
I considered aftermarket 17" wheels, but have decided against the expense for now. Maybe later.
Should make for a slightly more accurate speedometer, though

Hope to be able to sell the stock summer RFTs soon and at a price that should cover most if not all of the tire+installation- isn't winter the best time to buy summer tires for next year?
I"m going with the Continental Extreme Contact as they are ranked by Tire Rack, No. #1 and the price is right. 215x45x17" $117.00 per tire. The 16"ers are a little less, but the important part is they are good in just about all weather, even not bad on ice and snow but they are a summer performance tire, non rft.

I've got my Michelin ICE in now and just need to make an appointment to have them put on.

Had to rea the entire Mini Manual yesterday, just to figure out how to set the clock. Never did find where and how to do that, but did get it changed. Mini does make things interesting. Had a boring day at work, the company is moving to another facility that they just built, so it is very boring. So, the manual, and everthing else got read.

Where they said to find the resetting for the clock, is in the radio boost manual, but I couldn't find that. Figured it out, was not all that difficult.

Still love the Lil Guy, and still can't find anythng wrong, or that I don't like. The most difficult part so far was, programing the Universal Garage Door Operner. Still have to reprogram it. I, haven't tried reprograming anything else yet. Will keep you informed as I go along. Keep in mind, I am not exactly computer literate. I'm just a simple guy.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
There seems to be a lot to do once you get the car! I'm looking forward to it- keep us posted on the universal opener... I'm going to have to program mine for the building garage.

Glad you're doing the non-RFT mod. Lots of RFT hatred on the forums Wish Mini offered non-RFTs as a factory option. Now who will buy my tires?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Universal Garage Opener

There seems to be a lot to do once you get the car! I'm looking forward to it- keep us posted on the universal opener... I'm going to have to program mine for the building garage.

Glad you're doing the non-RFT mod. Lots of RFT hatred on the forums Wish Mini offered non-RFTs as a factory option. Now who will buy my tires?
Universal Garage Door Opener: PUSH AND HOLD FOR 20 SECONDS THE OUTTER RUBBER BUTTONS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MIRROR.........THEN PUSH YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER AND WITH BUTTON YOU WANT TO HAVE PROGRAMED FOR YOUR DOOR.....HOLD FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
chakram105
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Universal Garage Door Opener: PUSH AND HOLD FOR 20 SECONDS THE OUTTER RUBBER BUTTONS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MIRROR.........THEN PUSH YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER AND WITH BUTTON YOU WANT TO HAVE PROGRAMED FOR YOUR DOOR.....HOLD FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS.
or watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=XyKd0dxcZ8M#!

More videos here: http://www.miniusa.com/AboutYourMini/

Old 11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Thanks for the links chakram105

Update: I got bumped off Topeka. Car is listed as "Returned to shipper". Anyone knows what happens next?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Ok, now how can that happen. These reservations that are made for these Mini's are made two months in advance. At least mine was, so I would assume that others are, too. Anyway, you should be on the next one out, I would guess. Good luck now.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
squonk
3rd Gear

Update: I got bumped off Topeka. Car is listed as "Returned to shipper". Anyone knows what happens next?
Sorry to hear you got bumped! Your car was probably still at the bars drinking and missed his boarding time. Have you checked the WW schedules to see when the ship leaves that will be coming to your PDC's port?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
dirkback
1st Gear

I'm right there with you Sauron - mine was bumped too. It looks like out of the 219 MINIs booked on the Topeka, like 30 didn't make it. Fingers crossed we make the next one out!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dirkback
I'm right there with you Sauron - mine was bumped too. It looks like out of the 219 MINIs booked on the Topeka, like 30 didn't make it. Fingers crossed we make the next one out!
How do you find out information like that Dirkback? My car should be leaving port today but the WW site's track & trace still says no records found when I enter my VIN. It seems to me like you have a way to see more information...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Getting Bumped

Originally Posted by dirkback
Boy, that would really be a bummer. Sounds kind of what I would have expected for my luck. But question for you: How did you find out that there were 219 Minis booked and also that 30 had been bumped?

When my Lil Guy got to the dock, and I saw the the reservation document. We found out that the reservation for Lil Guy had been made 6 days BEFORE I even ordered him. I found that curious, but my MA said that reservations are done all the time on the idea of holding a spot for an upcoming order/build coming to port.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
dirkback
1st Gear
Originally Posted by squonk
How do you find out information like that Dirkback? My car should be leaving port today but the WW site's track & trace still says no records found when I enter my VIN. It seems to me like you have a way to see more information...
Sorry, but I don't know if I do. Here's what I did:

On the Track & Trace page of the WW site I put my VIN into the Cargo ID field. This gave me the ship it was supposed to be on. It also listed a Booking Number (GBSOU853301).
Back on the Track & Trace page I put that booking number into the Booking Number field. This gives a list of VINs, that I assume were originally booked on this ship, along with a status of "RETURNED TO SHIPPER" or "LOADED ON VESSEL"... unfortunately mine is not one of the ones Loaded on Vessel.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
squonk
3rd Gear
Dirkback - That helps! Now if only my VIN would show up on the WW site, then I'd be good to go.

Does anyone else out there happen to have the Booking number for the MANON or COURAGE which are set to leave Southampton 11/8 and 11/9 respectively?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
chakram105
3rd Gear
Ordered!

My Order: I ordered this morning, Week 48 production (OL says on Order still, but askmini says scheduled for production, with no specific date)

2011 Cooper S Convertible (Named: Anders)

Laser Blue Body Color

Packages

Convenience Package II
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
-Black Bonnet Stripes
-17" Black Star Bullet

Options

6-Speed Automatic with Paddle Shifters
Black Headlamp Housings
Chrome Mirror Caps
Auto Dimming Mirrors
Carbon Black Color Line
Dash/Door Ring in Striped Alloy
Retractable Headlamp Washers
Rear Park Distance Control
Xenon Headlamps
Rear Fog Lamp
White Turn Signals
All Season Tires
Leather: Lounge Carbon Black
Door Panel Color: Carbon Black
MINI Connected with NAV
Black Soft-top

Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
chakram, looks like you loaded up most of the the order

Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Just ordered a M7 turbo heat shield. After feeling the heat that comes from the turbo, and that was in light driving, I decided that if for nothing else, to lower the heat on the hood, and redirect it to the sides and lower. From what I've been told by those that have this turbo heat shieled, it also lowers the engine temperature quite a bit. Next on the agenda is to get a hood scoop that offers more of an opening. Not the agressive Vortex hood scoop, but their more conventional scoop. Yes, and paint it Midnight Black.

What are you all doing about front license plates? I'm considering waiting to see if I am stopped before doing something with the front license plates. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
squonk
3rd Gear
Hemi - I'm lucky that I live in GA where its the law that front plates are not required.

After reading your post about the M7 hood scoop, I started reading up on them. Interesting stuff. I ever found it for sale on Amazon! I look forward to hearing your feedback on it.

My car still does not show up on the WW website. I swapped emails with my MA who said my car in on a ship and in route but did not tell me the name of the ship when I asked her if it was the Manon or the Courage.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Tracking

Originally Posted by squonk
Hemi - I'm lucky that I live in GA where its the law that front plates are not required.

After reading your post about the M7 hood scoop, I started reading up on them. Interesting stuff. I ever found it for sale on Amazon! I look forward to hearing your feedback on it.

My car still does not show up on the WW website. I swapped emails with my MA who said my car in on a ship and in route but did not tell me the name of the ship when I asked her if it was the Manon or the Courage.
Just an educated guess, but I believe your guy is on board. Look at my signature and you'll get an idea.

With Mini, at least they are letting some air in to cool thru the hood scoop, but I, personally think that it needs more air. I'm a firm believer, from my old drag racing days, that you need things cooler under the hood for best performance, both in economy and being fast.

Most of my mods are not going to happen before next Spring, I just want to get thru the winter first. That's why the winter tires, on my black Challenge wheels, and I just thought about the turbo shield and with insulation, all the better. Oh yes, I do have on order too, the 3" antennae. Tried to put the JCW car cover (got a heck of a deal on that thru marketplace) and had to unscrew the 10" antennae, then the next day I forgot to put it back on. Do you know that the Mini radio works without the antennae on? I remember doing that with my Miata MX-5 and all I got was static. Guess Mini radios are better.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 AM
nxtMINI
2nd Gear
The turbo heat shield is going to be one of the first things I order before I get my MINI. Like hemi said, it'll bring the engine temp down, but it will also stop your hood scoop from melting
Shorty antenna will also be on order, but I'll think I'll go with the MINI brand.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Hoodscoop!

Originally Posted by nxtMINI
The turbo heat shield is going to be one of the first things I order before I get my MINI. Like hemi said, it'll bring the engine temp down, but it will also stop your hood scoop from melting
Shorty antenna will also be on order, but I'll think I'll go with the MINI brand.
My thoughts too, but when I picked up Lil Guy, I asked my MA about that, and she said, look at the hood here. That was under the hood, and it is now metal, rather than all plastic material. And, there are now air inlets, granted not completely open, but slits in the hood scoop grille looking area. Pardon my description, but that was the best to come to mind. So, Mini has gotten the message about heat and plastic hood scoops, but still, nice to have it cooler under the hood.

Tomorrow, off to get the invisishield for Lil Guy. Lots of favorable comments on that, and a few not so favorable, but in the end I think that it is a good investment against sand and small gravel chips. Then on Friday,the winter tires get installed, and THEN I'm done till spring. Lil Guy has gotten enough Birthday and Christmas presents.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
On my first MINI the scoop required perforating to get airflow to the cold air intake input in there. I covered the hole with wire mesh to protect from major chunks of particulate getting up in there.

M7 scoop on amazon? That's awesome

I not only had a stubby antenna, I had it custom engraved. Problem is, 2008 and on use a different thread dimension. My custom antenna doesn't fit on the new car! Bummer.

I'm saving most monkeying around under the hood for spring as well...

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2011" Support Group