1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading my Z3 for a Clubman S

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 PM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading my Z3 for a Clubman S

Hey All,
I'm a nubie here. Just working out the details to purchase a 2010 Clubman S and I want to pay invoice and not MSRP. We'll see how that goes.

Have skimmed through the site, lots of good info. Have to bone up on new terms but it seems like I've found a good site to learn about my first Mini.

I run a small biz in West Los Angeles and live just 12 miles away via a couple of canyon drives and a transverse run on Mulholland. It has been fun in my Z3 but I want something quieter, with more creature comforts and a better sound system, bluetooth, etc. The HK sound system will be a great improvement.

I think the Clubman would do the trick even with my upright bass or 8x10 Ampeg speaker cabinet, or the 10 to 20 cases or paper I have to tote around sometimes.

My first choice in colors are the dark gray to the silver but there aren't many "S" models around and I'll have to make do with what's out there.

BTW, the Mazda A3, hatchback was the other serious contender. It's a different class of car, a mid value Japanese version of a fold down seat clubman (or maybe its the other way around?). Style points go all to the Mini and in the end, if I can swing the deal in this dead economy, the Clubman should costs just a bit more than the Mazda.

CanyonRunner - aka Richard

Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my 2010 Clubman S...I came from a highly modded 2005 Cooper S..and I don't miss the old R53 at all.

Good luck on getting a good deal..I chose to do the MINI Select program when I bought mine back in June.

also Richard

Originally Posted by CanyonRunner
Hey All,
I'm a nubie here. Just working out the details to purchase a 2010 Clubman S and I want to pay invoice and not MSRP. We'll see how that goes.

Have skimmed through the site, lots of good info. Have to bone up on new terms but it seems like I've found a good site to learn about my first Mini.

I run a small biz in West Los Angeles and live just 12 miles away via a couple of canyon drives and a transverse run on Mulholland. It has been fun in my Z3 but I want something quieter, with more creature comforts and a better sound system, bluetooth, etc. The HK sound system will be a great improvement.

I think the Clubman would do the trick even with my upright bass or 8x10 Ampeg speaker cabinet, or the 10 to 20 cases or paper I have to tote around sometimes.

My first choice in colors are the dark gray to the silver but there aren't many "S" models around and I'll have to make do with what's out there.

BTW, the Mazda A3, hatchback was the other serious contender. It's a different class of car, a mid value Japanese version of a fold down seat clubman (or maybe its the other way around?). Style points go all to the Mini and in the end, if I can swing the deal in this dead economy, the Clubman should costs just a bit more than the Mazda.

CanyonRunner - aka Richard

Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, and yes I would take the MINI over the Mazda. Good luck lat uus know your final decision.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 AM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
Seems like the 'stealers' have the advantage...Having read a few forum threads it doesn't look like much hope for invoice over MSRP?

I thought that given last month's auto sales, which were way, way down, and it's getting near the end of their inventory year, that they would be willing to make a deal. Cars Direct maybe?

The difference between the invoice and the MSRP is $3k!

BTW, after reading about all the rattles associated with a moonroof, its off my list.

OctaneGuy - good looking car - nice red accents.

Anyway, off to the West Fork of the San Gabriel River for some 'urban' fly fishing.

Last edited by CanyonRunner; 09-05-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There has really never been an option for invoice on the MINIs...you'll need to buy another car that doesn't have as many buyers willing to wait months for a custom order like an American car. MINI dealers don't have any incentive to lower their costs by much, since MINIs sell on their own. MINI has been offering a number of specials however for 2010 vehicles..special interest rates, internet specials, freebies, etc.

As for ratlles, I don't have any rattles, nor did any of my previous two MINIs which had 65,000 and 110,000 miles on them and both had sunroofs.

Originally Posted by CanyonRunner
Seems like the 'stealers' have the advantage...Having read a few forum threads it doesn't look like much hope for invoice over MSRP?

I thought that given last month's auto sales, which were way, way down, and it's getting near the end of their inventory year, that they would be willing to make a deal. Cars Direct maybe?

The difference between the invoice and the MSRP is $3k!

BTW, after reading about all the rattles associated with a moonroof, its off my list.

OctaneGuy - good looking car - nice red accents.

Anyway, off to the West Fork of the San Gabriel River for some 'urban' fly fishing.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
An update. I'm waiting for some other financial traffic to clear before making my move on a dealership for a 2010 Clubman S. Through Autotrader have located 1 remaining within 500 miles of my home (fun drive home!). Has dual pane sunroof, Harmon-Kardon sound, phone upgrade and white turn signals, roof is body color. I think it is gray but can't be certain (color A94?).

It's $29.7k MSRP and I'm offering a grand over invoice citing: 2011's are here for $30k; Countryman is going to eat this line up (arguably); end of the year and they will want to turn inventory.

Meanwhile, I have been preparing my Z3 for sale. Have taken the time to wash it myself and have put a couple layers of wax on it over the last two weekends. Have composed the following ad during this quality time.
""
[FONT=Arial]Beloved Z3, Artic White, driven streets and fwys, as commuter car, 12 miles one-way for last 12 years. Garaged at home/work, it is a great ride for SoCal. Built on the Ti-318 chasis, the '96 has the small engine and a five forward speed stick that tend to the low-end. Its low center of gravity make it a joy to run the canyons on everyday.

Performance is best in the 30-80 mph range. Its not fast off the line but is quick in traffic. Front end could use some work and it drops oil but otherwise is mechanically sound. Good tires and soft top, rear window clouded. Some door dings and a scratches. Maintained by a very diligent mechanic for its lifetime, and driven with care and precision.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Sold "As-Is" with clean title, factory installed 5 carousel CD, AC (replaced a couple years back), heated seats with a long and beautiful hood, asking a firm $3,500. Test drive it and you'll be hooked. ""[/FONT]

It's the end of an era and the beginning of another.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Had a 1997 Z3 and it drove similar to the Clubman S although being rear wheel drive it's not comparing apples to apples. Had my Clubman S almost a year and "0" problems, rattles or anything. I got $1,000 of sticker but I ordered in Sept of 2009 and wanted a 2010. Seems like you should be able to get $1,000 off and maybe $1,500. The dealer would have given me a good discount on an instock 2009 a year ago buit I wanted a 2010.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I also was snooping around for a 2010 Cooper s but found that the manuals were long gone. Slim pickins! It's true what has been said: it's hard to get a GREAT price on a MINI as a commodity car with a strong fan base of customers willing to pre-order, but still, you should have success staying under MSRP if your dealer wants to move the car. In contrast, when I bought my first MINI in 06, the local dealer in SF was still charging something like $4k OVER MSRP and had several months wait. It was crazy. I dodged that bullet, though.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
Thirdrail, found a nice car at BMW of Concord, however, I just bought a used from a private party.

Selling the Z3 turned out to be pretty easy. I washed and waxed it up inside and out and snapped a few photos. Craigslist was my first choice to test the waters and I had six solid hits and sold the car on the second day to an aspiring stunt driver who plans to use the car as a drift trainer.

Meanwhile, I had looked at some dealers and their deals, when up popped an ad on AutoTrader. A private party with a Clubman S automatic had purchased the 2009 model in Feb 2010. It has 3,840 miles on it (hasn't had its first service yet).

I called and left a message, and a second more strident message the next day after I sold the Z. I thought, well, the car is sold and the guy just hasn't taken down the ad, or whatever.

He called this morning and we met up and I took a look at the car. Black roof, dark silver body, black interior. He added a Garmin GPS and will leave it with the car because he fears that removing the mount will damage the dashboard. There are a few minor scratches that should rub out on the passenger door and a couple of dents in the back door. Looks like someone hit it with the end of a re-bar. There is another on the roof near the back door. I think that they are bicycle pedals that banged against the car.

Since he has lost the second key, he's taking $500 off the asking price ($23,500) and then I asked for another $500 to take care of the dent in the roof which is all the way to the metal. He agreed.

So, I'm in a 2009 Mini Clubman S with under 5k miles on it next week after some paperwork, paying $23k. Sweet deal... Has a chrome gas cap. The only thing that I will don't like is the black mesh grille rather than the vintage chrome bars in the 2010 models. Will make a note to look up replacement after I get settled with it.

Will get my gallery started soon. Looking forward to learning about its handling characteristics and performance aspects.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Whoo that was fast. Good work!
I'm still trying to sell the current car to avoid trade in.
The ship leaves the uk today so I have some time...

Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Whoo that was fast. Good work!
I'm still trying to sell the current car to avoid trade in.
The ship leaves the uk today so I have some time...
Yeah, it worked out pretty sweet but given the large market is Los Angeles, you should be able to make things happen.

What are you selling...Mini of course. Good luck with it. It's a hassle and you never quite know what to expect. I will tell you that I posted 4 pictures and had several requests for additional photos, but then again, this site is LOADED with pixs.

-richard

Old 10-09-2010, 12:24 PM
CanyonRunner
Neutral
Brought Home A Mini Last Night

Well, it rained this week in Los Angeles and I was on the bus waiting for my private party to return from a biz trip.

My wife put a bug in my ear that we should look around and see what's available. Found a 2009 on a dealer lot, used, 12k miles, premium package, chrome wheels/vent, sports seats, interior mood lighting, navigation, auto, etc.

We settled on $25k and it comes with 25 months of extended warranty.

Drove it home last night with the wife following me, slowly.

First impressions:

Steering is tighter than my old Z, probably because its newer.
Handling is about the same but the acceleration is way faster.
Chili Red/Black is a head turning choice.

Attached Thumbnails Trading my Z3 for a Clubman S-frontview.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
congratulations!

"Yeah, it worked out pretty sweet but given the large market is Los Angeles, you should be able to make things happen.

What are you selling...Mini of course. Good luck with it. It's a hassle and you never quite know what to expect. I will tell you that I posted 4 pictures and had several requests for additional photos, but then again, this site is LOADED with pixs."

Nah I'm selling my 09 Element EX-S AWD fully loaded... i sold my beloved 06 MCS for the Element, as a result of a baby arrival, but after a year, we couldn't take being MINIless any longer. We're a one car (and 9 bike) family, so we made the difficult decision to sell the nearly-new E at a loss and get a Clubman.
I'm in the SF bay area...