1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of 2003 Cooper Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
New owner of 2003 Cooper Coupe

Well, I am a new owner of a 2003 Cooper coupe in Solid Gold with a black roof and mirrors. I have questions that I hope some of you all will be kind enough to help answer.

I am still trying to figure out what options I have on it. I know that it has the HK radio, and auto A/C.

I have also figured out it has the "computer" option with the display that also has mpg.

It has heated front seats. Does that mean it has the Cold Weather package and therefore also heated windshield washers?

It has 16" aluminum wheels and black stripes on the hood. Does that mean it has the Sport package?

There is a purple sensor thing on the top of the dash, in the center, about 5 inched back from the windshield glass. What is that for?

As I mentioned, it has auto A/C. How do I just get just plain old vents? I just want outside air, not cooled or heated. Just air blowing in.

The glove box kept popping open. Thanks to some good reading here, I think I got the latch readjusted and it hasn't popped open again yet.

I quickly found that the front cup holders can't actually hold cups; well not even American "medium" sized ones.

The front dash "tubes" (I think that is what you all call them) are kind-of scratched up. Is there a way to touch up the paint on these?

Is they only place to get keys made is by a Mini (or BMW) dealer? I only got the one, and I really want a second just in case.

I can't see/read the top half the tach. Is that normal for most of you?

And lastly... how do I attach my rear licence plate???? Right now, I have cable ties holding it on. Unfortunately, the previous owner seems to have kept the original screws. What size screws are needed? It seems that regular American licence screws are way too big.

Last edited by Walt; 09-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:27 PM
SteveB625
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt
Well, I am a new owner of a 2003 Cooper coupe in Solid Gold with a black roof and mirrors. I have questions that I hope some of you all will be kind enough to help answer.

Hi Walt, Good luck with your new MINI.

I am still trying to figure out what options I have on it. I know that it has the HK radio, and auto A/C.

I have also figured out it has the "computer" option with the display that also has mpg.

It has heated front seats. Does that mean it has the Cold Weather package and therefore also heated windshield washers?

Yes, it should also have heated washers and side mirrors.

It has 16" aluminum wheels and black stripes on the hood. Does that mean it has the Sport package?
Not necessarily. The stripes are an add-on. You could go to you local MINI dealer with the VIN to get a printout of all the options

There is a purple sensor thing on the top of the dash, in the center, about 5 inched back from the windshield glass. What is that for?
That is the sensor for the auto AC.

As I mentioned, it has auto A/C. How do I just get just plain old vents? I just want outside air, not cooled or heated. Just air blowing in.
Shut off the auto ac and then turn the temp selector. You should see lines near the temp indicating fan speed. Adjust fan speed as needed. If you hit the off button air should still come in by the ac vents while driving but it will be warm if the temp was set higher than MIN.

The glove box kept popping open. Thanks to some good reading here, I think I got the latch readjusted and it hasn't popped open again yet.

I quickly found that the front cup holders can't actually hold cups; well not even American "medium" sized ones.
Look in the NAM marketplace for replacement cup holders that work. There are MiniFini and factory. The MiniFini mount low and can get in the way of the seat bottom but work well otherwise.

The front dash "tubes" (I think that is what you all call them) are kind-of scratched up. Is there a way to touch up the paint on these?
They come out fairly easily and many paint them for a custom look.

Is they only place to get keys made is by a Mini (or BMW) dealer? I only got the one, and I really want a second just in case.
My guess is yes if you want the remote to work.

Yes

And lastly... how do I attach my rear licence plate???? Right now, I have cable ties holding it on. Unfortunately, the previous owner seems to have kept the original screws. What size screws are needed? It seems that regular American licence screws are way too big.
I believe they are M5 screws. I got stainless steel socket heads at Ace Hardware.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM
03miniac
3rd Gear
Wecome Walt!
That rear license plate I found bullet style nuts & mated it with some thread matching bolts in stainless steel. The front plate looks really stupid on mine so I found some earth magnets for easy removal.
Good luck with that nugget.. .

Last edited by 03miniac; 09-06-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear

My experiences are with my '05 which may have different package combos than an '03.

On my car, the computer display and the auto a/c are part of the 'premium' package.

16" Al wheels on a Cooper usually means its got the sport package but these wheels could just as easily have been swapped in by a previous owner.

I havent had much luck with this myself. I dont like having to worry about the thermostat setting and fan speeds just to get air blowing into the car. The old days of pulling a **** under the dash to get some fresh air are long gone. I just open the windows a bit (or more) and pop the vent on the sunroof.

Theyre good for bluetooths (blueteeth?), change, stuff like that.

Depends on where the steering wheel is in relation to the seat. I like both at their lowest settings even though I cant see the top of the tach like that. If I adjust the wheel up I can see the whole tach.

And welcome to MINIness.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Much thanks to all!

Is there some where I can find out what all was included in the 2003 Premium Package and the Sport Package? Possibly it could lead me to discover some other features if I knew there was some possibility I might have them.

Is there a source for touch up paint for the 2003 black interior? I would like to repaint the "tubes" if I could find a can of matching spray paint.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
5coy975
Neutral
I wanted to point out that my local BMW shop that does warranty service got me two keys @$150 each the closed dealership (over 50 miles away wanted 200 for the key and a 85 diagnostic.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, looks like you got all of your questions answered, enjoy your MINI and good luck.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Is there some where I can find out what all was included in the 2003 Premium Package and the Sport Package? Possibly it could lead me to discover some other features if I knew there was some possibility I might have them.
In partially answering my own question...

I have the multifunction leather steering wheel, cruise control, sunroof, auto A/C, and "computer", so I believe I do indeed have the Premium Package.

I have the DSC, fog lamps, and 5-star wheels. I think I have the rear spoiler (its small and just over the 3rd brake light). I might have the sports seats, but I don't know how to differentiate them from regular seats. If I do have all this, I guess I have the Sport Package.

As mentioned, I do have heated seats. I have no idea how to tell if I have heated washers and heated mirrors. I know the heated mirrors on my old Jeep, and a "defrost" symbol etched in the mirror glass itself. My Mini seems to have no such marking on the mirror glass.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well if your seat hugs your back and legs they are sport seats. Check with a MINI dealership and see if they were included with the cold weather package that year. On my 04 they were included in that package, or you can just wait for a coming morning freeze. Also you have a great color it is a shame it only lasted 2 years. Check my gallery on my SG/SG.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Zeyk_Shade
1st Gear
Hey Walt,

Grats on the new car. I just recently purchased one as well and found this thread really handy for finding out the options it came with. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-car-has.html

CincinnatiMini sent me a PDF with the options/packages in an e-mail. All you have to do is send him the last 7 digits of your VIN in the thread and put your e-mail address there as well. One hell of a nice service he's providing the community.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
For the down tubes scratches try the Silver Sharpie marker--it is an exact match for the interior silver trim.