1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopefully new Mini owner soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
nitrogen76
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully new Mini owner soon!

Looking at getting a mini cooper. I've wanted one since about 2003, and I have 2 I can choose from. Price on both is almost the same.

One is a cooper convertible with 30k miles on it, an 07.
The second is a cooper S with 17k miles on it, an 05.

I'm probably leaning a bit toward the cooper S, but want some input from ya'll, if you don't mind.

I have 2 questions that will affect my decision:

I know convertibles are a pain in the ***. Is the cooper convertible more or less than a regular pain in the ***? Anyone with any experience?

Second, how big of a pain in the *** is the supercharger in the cooper S?

Any common problems with it?

Anything else those of you with either of these cars think I should know that'd affect my decision?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
~EVILMINI~
1st Gear
Just bought my R53 two days ago. The "S" is the way to go, in my opinion.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 PM
SunnySkies
3rd Gear
As an owner of two convertibles, my Cooper S cabrio is a dream. I've had a drop top Miata, a first generation plastic window type of top (which is not exactly a pain, but neither is it a breeze to let down on a whim). The Cooper top is an ingenious design and is a breeze to lower (you can even lower it if you're going less than 10-15 mph!--not recommended though!). I have the best of both worlds, a Cabrio 'S'. So I cannot tell you what is more important, as a convertible person I would choose the Justa Convertible. Or I would hold out on finding an attractively priced Cabrio S. If a wind-in-your-hair experience just isn't that important to you, I'd definitely say the 'S'! Turbo is like being on a Gravitron sometimes! SO much fun and it blazes through the highway (not that I speed !!). I will say that in my experience with driving both hardtop and cabrio MINI's the cabrios do have some blindspots that you won't find with the hardtop version (top up and down). So, again, I would say if you're like me--a convertible person-- you'll find nothing more fun than a Justa Cabrio, but if you're a speed/thrillseeking/power kind of person then the 'S'. However, if you want both, I say it's quite alright to wait to find one with both qualities. Have fun and good luck, hope I was of some help. Sorry I wrote a novel.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
I would continue to look for a S Convertible, it seems like thats what you want, so why settle for something else, if you do you will only grouse about it later.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look for the wan u wan so u will enjoy it.. i have a 05 mcs conv n love it

Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM
nitrogen76
2nd Gear
Just got her home. Of course, the power steering pump fan just started grinding...