1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

build your own mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM
cozyp828
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build your own mini

how do you go about building your own mini?

do you go to a dealer and tell them what you want?

are there any problems in doing this?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start out at MINIUSA.com, there you can "Configure" a MINI to your liking. Keep in mind that the Configurator can become an obsession, just like your MINI!! *insert Evil Wicked Laugh*

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
cozyp828
2nd Gear
after you complete your configurator, you send it to the dealer. when you sit with the dealer, afe the numbers as clear as they are from the configurator? is there any haggling over the price like there is when you are choosing one from the lot, or is it really clear-cut: the price is the price configured and only tax title license dest charge need to be calculated as well?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Price is always negotiable. Here's what you should do. Email your configuration to a few dealers (I sent mine to everyone within 1 days drive) and tell them to give you their best and last offer, that they will be competing against x number of dealers. Then compare the prices vs. driving distance. Mini dealers usually aren't too flexible in their pricing, but the economy is still relatively weak. Most dealerships have an online salesman. They want to get a commission as well and don't have the luxury of meeting you in person. I think they are willing to deal more to get you to come in.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, you have pretty much gotten the drill from the 3 post above. Give some real thought to the MINI you "build" on the web site, make sure that any item you select is something you really want or need. It's funny how 250 here 750 there can add up and the next thing you know 22,000 has become 31,000.

Your best chance at negotiating a deal will come on a unit in stock, don't expect much if anything off an ordered unit. One of the big choices is color, a lot of people will take only one, if you can accept two or three your chances are definitely increased in finding the unit you are willing to buy. Also have a list of ''must haves'' and a list of ''would be nice, but could do withouts" and be prepared to decide on items that the unit has but you don't want or need.

This approach of sending your configured car to a number of dealers is the only way to get a "deal". But it is going to take some tough negotiating on your part and some guys may not be willing to play. Buying a MINI can be a frustrating undertaking.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 AM
cozyp828
2nd Gear
i have been seeing how frustrating buying a mini--or any car- can be. now that i am hooked on a mini, and have been to two dealers, and spoken to four salespeople, i understand that $500 is the avg price anyone will take off the sticker.

many of the dealeships have the sliding roof and other extras that i don't want, as well as a color i am not crazy about.

how long does it take for the mini that i create to be produce and shipped to the dealer?

how much does a dealer want for a deposit on this creation? is it $500 or more, or is it up to the dealer?

are the prices on the configurator set in stone, or can they be negotiated at the dealer?

since i have to wait until next year for my lease to be over, i figure maybe this is a better way of getting into the exact mini: since i have to wait, why not build one now, get my money together, send dealers my configurator, and go in and order it?

this way i know exactly what i'm getting, i know when it's coming, and i now have something to look foward to without having to worry about what i need to get into after my lease is done!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Ours took 6 weeks from ordering until it was delivered, but there are many variables such as how long it waits at the dock in the UK to be placed on a ship to be sent to the USA. $500 sounds about like the average amount most dealers are offering off MSRP. We always order our vehicles because as expensive as any new car is today, you get EXACTLY what you want and can live with it until you decide to trade or sell.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine was $22,600 less $1,000 at 1.9% financing last April. I did it via email. Refundable deposit was $1,000.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
I will be ordering a 2011 as well. I have been playing with my configuration for about six months now. I made a spreadsheet with six different configurations. Taxes and out-the-door price are updated as I add or subtract options. You should really take your time deciding on your configuration. Once your car goes into production, you can't make any changes.

Currently there are no incentives for 2011 cars. Since this is the year of the refresh, they know people will pay full price to be the first to own the refresh model. You can expect MINI to give incentives in a couple of month since their sales during the pass year have not been good and the economy is in the tank. You can expect to get either 0.9% financing or free option package ($1,250) and 1.9% financing.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM
cozyp828
2nd Gear
six months, eh? that's a long time, but it needs to be done, and no pressure from salesperson, because you're home doing the construction not on lot making a decision.

what do most people feel needs to be in the mini, and is there much of a difference if one just gets the base model and not the s? i was just keeping the base model.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine took 6 weeks from order to dealer. My dad's was even quicker, 4 weeks I believe.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
My Clubman took exactly 2 months from the day I ordered it and I picked it up at the dealer. cozyp828, the waiting is very hard but this and other MINI forums help a lot. Also, the memory of the wait at the point you arrived at the dealer for delivery. Don't forget to look at every option and talk to others about what they left out for what ever reason. Also, if you do order, even getting your VIN is exciting, knowing that your cyber space creation is becoming real!