1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with specing new Mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
MountMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with specing new Mini

Hi all, newbie here! I am about to order my first mini. I have picked out options below and would welcome input on any options I have missed, or ones that are unnecessary for me. I have commented after each option with my reasons for my selections. By way of background. This will be a second car for me, a cool go-cart. I will drive it hard on the roads of South Florida, but not the track, and in the mountains during the summer.

Lastly price, I am new here so if talk about price is not allowed please disregard. I was thinking that a reasonable deal would be to pay 90% of MSRP(estimated dealer cost) + delivery charge, tag, taxes, and $1,000(including any "fees") for dealer profit.

Thanks,

Dave

2011 Cooper S Hardtop
Base MSRP* $23,700.00

DESIGN
Chili Red Body Color STD
Dash/Door Ring in Piano Black INCL
Door Panel in Carbon Black STD
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction STD
Rooster Red Color Line INCL
White Roof/Mirrors STD
Center Arm Rest $250.00
I imagine that this is more comfortable, at lease for the passenger, and a place for the iPhone
Leather/Cloth:Rooster Red $1,000.00
My other choice was full black leather, I chose this because of the red color accent and the cloth to provide more lateral stability, but I can be talked out of this option.

PACKAGES
Sport Package $1,250.00
17" Infinite Stream
I don't really care about aesthetics of the rims, although I would pick black if it were available with my color combination. I thought the 17" wheels would provide better performance(has anyone compared both to comment on the difference?
Dynamic Traction Control
If I understand this terminology correctly, this lets me turn off the DSC so that electronic nanny is turned off.
White Bonnet Stripes
White Turn Signals
If it came at no additional cost, it would be my preference, but if I delete the package I would probably not choose the light color.
Xenon Headlamps
This may be blaspheme, but I would not pay the cost alone if not for the package. I will not be doing a lot of nighttime driving, they are nice, but maybe not $500 nice.

Depending on the input above, I can delete this Package.

PERFORMANCE
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
An absolute Must
Sport Suspension $500.00
Front Fog Lamps STD
HD Radio STD SIRIUS Satellite Radio
STD harman/kardon Sound System $750.00
Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter $500.00
MSRP w/Factory Options $27,950.00
Dealer Accessories** $0.00
Total As Configured $27,950.00

The other question I have is the value of the strut brace.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
welcome. exciting!
I'm of the opinion that if you're going in on the S model you deserve the sp rt package. Having the ability to turn off the 'nanny' as you mentioned, just seems like a no-brainer to me, even if only occasionally used, depending on your driving style. Even though you say no track time now, you never know once the MINI bug bites you, so the stiffer suspension etc etc of the S model is of benefit. Frankly, if it wasn't price prohibitive for me, I'd go JCW. On my last MINI, an 06 MCS, I elected not to, because I felt i could aftermarket tune, get better results, cheaper, and have fun doing it. But in the end, I was gunshy about voiding warranty, and given some of the issues I had with my clutch (part me, part SF hills) which was replaced under warranty, I was glad there wasn't much for them to sqwawk at under the hood. JCW gives you the admittedly expensive piece of mind that the tuning is factory warrantied.
That all said, regarding what you spec'd, one question: no sunroof? It's one of my favorite interior details of the MINI. It brings a lot of light in, but is still tinted, and you can get a shade as well. I know you're in Florida, but it IS something to consider. If you do, the Premium package basically makes it financially prudent, because you've already spec'd the radio upgrade.
On the wheels, I like 17s for stability and grip, but some complain the ride is too rough, especially if you leave the run-flats on, which I did, to my wife's frustration. Many remove the run-flats...

Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are very nice options. the deals you can get at the dealers all depends on your location. just be patient and let those dealers compete for you business. nam members, here, are able to get around 1-2k off of msrp. so your goal is definitely possible.

most of the options you have are great and may change depending on your preferences and budget.

do you want black headlamp housings? it's a free option and makes the mini looks more aggressive.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Self leveling Xenons a must.

Arm rest a good idea.

Make sure you drive one with sport springs - STIFF as all get out. We could hardly handle our MCS without sport springs, went non runflats in our sig to make it more comfy.

No point in adding bluetooth, get the convennience package and it's included as well many other cool features.

Consider rear fog lights - great to switch on for tailgaters.

Consider chrome package inside and outside if you are so inclined.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 09-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car you have spec'd out.
IMHO:
Sports suspension is a must if you drive agressively.
Go with 17" wheels, but if you are going to ditch the run-flats quickly, get the standard 16" and buy much lighter 17" with some nice tires. This is a great aftermarket upgrade for not that much more than the heavy 17" MINI wheels.
Don't have the bonnet stripes put on if you are getting a clear bra. Put them on after.
Xenons - YES YES YES.
White turn signals..... wish I had done it!

Good luck deciding on your new ride. YOu can't go wrong.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM
MountMini
Neutral
Thanks for the replies. A couple of comments and questions. The sunroof is a deal breaker for me, just personal preference, I don't like the light and don't need the extra weight and body flex, even though they probably very minor.

I am going to lease the car and want to keep all of the add-ons factory, so I can capitalize them in the lease.

I am confused on the tires. Are they all run flat? Can I choose regular tires from Mini?

Again, I appreciate all the help.

Dave

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, all tires are run flats. Can't get around that from MINI. I upgraded to non-run flats after about 2,000 miles and sold my old wheels/tires.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM
MountMini
Neutral
I ordered my Mini today, felt like a kid in a candy shop. Asked the dealer about swapping the run flats for something else, but that led nowhere. Anyway, I am very happy the lease deal, 36 months 12k/yr with a money factor of .00225 and 62% residual. Apparently this deal requires delivery by Oct 31. The dealer changed the specs of one on order, build starts next week, so in 30 days+/-, I should be official.

Dave

Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MountMini
I ordered my Mini today, felt like a kid in a candy shop. Asked the dealer about swapping the run flats for something else, but that led nowhere. Anyway, I am very happy the lease deal, 36 months 12k/yr with a money factor of .00225 and 62% residual. Apparently this deal requires delivery by Oct 31. The dealer changed the specs of one on order, build starts next week, so in 30 days+/-, I should be official.

Dave
It won't be here that soon, but whatever deals are offered when you take delivery is what you can get. It was 2.9% purchase when we ordered. At delivery it was 1.9% purchase and free Premium package, sweet.

So how did you spec it out???

Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where in S FL? I did not originally like the idea of a sun roof, but I bet it could feel smaller and claustrophobic if mine hadn't had it. Sounds like decent options. I personally think my stock 16s (RFs) are harsh enough without a sport suspension, but I will eventually go to 17s and non RFs. The Auto air also seemed silly to me but it is very nice to not have to keep changing the fan speed or rarely even the temp ****. I set the temp I want it at and it just does it. Even in SWFL with the hot summers I don't use the MAX setting often, just int he afternoons to go home, 68-72 does me just fine depending on feelings and time of day.

Sounds like a fun car, how does the lease work at the end of the term, you have the option to buy it right? How much will that be?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
MountMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
It won't be here that soon, but whatever deals are offered when you take delivery is what you can get. It was 2.9% purchase when we ordered. At delivery it was 1.9% purchase and free Premium package, sweet.

So how did you spec it out???

If production is scheduled to start Monday the 27th, how long until I should expect delivery?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MountMini
If production is scheduled to start Monday the 27th, how long until I should expect delivery?

There are whole threads on how to go all **** on tracking your MINI....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-updated.html

See my sig for how long mine took to the Seattle area...... But my suggestion is plan on 8 weeks or more, do NOT track it - then be pleasantly surprised when it shows up.

So how did you spec it out ???

Last edited by MCS Fever; 09-23-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
MountMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by yetti96
Where in S FL? I did not originally like the idea of a sun roof, but I bet it could feel smaller and claustrophobic if mine hadn't had it.
I starting thinking about the sunroof and I realized that since I bought my first car in 1981, I have always had a sunroof or convertible. I made some use of the convertibles, but I can count on one hand the number of times I used a sun roof. It even bothers me when my wife leaves the shade open. I find the light from above distracting, I like the cave effect. I'm sure that part of this is due to dark window tinting that is hard to see through when there is light from above.
Sounds like decent options. I personally think my stock 16s (RFs) are harsh enough without a sport suspension, but I will eventually go to 17s and non RFs.
I am a little concerned about the choice of the 17" tires, I want the corning, but hopefully I will not get beat to death, I live in Fort Lauderdale where the roads are pretty good and very few potholes.
The Auto air also seemed silly to me but it is very nice to not have to keep changing the fan speed or rarely even the temp ****. I set the temp I want it at and it just does it. Even in SWFL with the hot summers I don't use the MAX setting often, just int he afternoons to go home, 68-72 does me just fine depending on feelings and time of day.
I gave some thought to this, as I have had automatic air for a long time, but I do like as much manual control as possible. I see how this one works out.
Sounds like a fun car, how does the lease work at the end of the term, you have the option to buy it right? How much will that be?
At the end of the lease I will have the ability to buy the car for the "Residual Value" which in this case is 62% of the negotiated sales price($17,329). However, it will not make financial sense to do so. The 62% is a subsidized rate by MINI/BMW. It will be worth less than that, but higher Residual Value reduces the lease payments. The Residual Value is also a flat 62% of the sales price, including the options, which depreciate much more than the base price of the car.

There is also a $350 dispossession fee for turning in the car, if I do not buy another BMW/MINI.

Dave

Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
MountMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
There are whole threads on how to go all **** on tracking your MINI....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-updated.html

See my sig for how long mine took to the Seattle area...... But my suggestion is plan on 8 weeks or more, do NOT track it - then be pleasantly surprised when it shows up.

So how did you spec it out ???

I did not make any changes from my original post.

I started to read the tracking thread, now my head hurts. I think I may save a week in transportation time compared to Seattle. The dealer is pretty confident of a 14 boat ride, we will see. If the car arrives in November and the same lease terms are not available, we may have a problem.