1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - doing research

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
magikald
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member - doing research

I have been on the forum for a couple of months, doing research on my *future* MINI. I don't own one yet but will in the next 6 months to a year.

I am still doing tons of research on different cars but nothing makes me feel "this is the car I want" like a MINI. I keep comming back to them time after time, article after article. I am loving this forum - nothing like real world experience to help wtih my research!

I am planning on getting an 07 or newer used MCS. My question is, as a daily driver, should I calm down my need for speed and stick with a standard MC? My previous car before my stupid PITA Aura was a Saturn ION Redline edition and was such a blast to drive. I am seriously missing the fun drive and the ability to get away from stupid people on the highway. I am an agressive driver so not sure if a MC is suitable or MCS would be better.

Thoughts on this?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magikald
........ I am seriously missing the fun drive and the ability to get away from stupid people on the highway. I am an agressive driver so not sure if a MC is suitable or MCS would be better.

Thoughts on this?

No brainer. MCS.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
magikald
1st Gear
Common sense tells me to calm down and drive safter and get the MC

But my heart and inner thrill seeker says MCS all the way....

I do not see a huge difference in price between the two when comapring same model years

Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe the MCS vs MC and safe vs reckless driving are mutually inclusive factors. I drove my MCS aggressively, and also mellow, when I wrapped my brain around the fact that I was being the driver I don't like. The safety aspect comes from being a responsible and respectful driver, regardless of the vehicle. That said, safety also comes from capability. My opinion, the S model is a safer vehicle, in that you have more power to get around that semi, more responsiveness to swerve around the SUV that crossed the yellow line, etc. As a previous MCS owner, I was very much in love with the stuff suspension, the handling, the power over the base model on the freeway. In the city, my friend's MC was plenty snappy, by virtue of the weight and design of the vehicle. It was at speed and on hills that the MCS was more capable, I think.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go the mcs. there are so many more standard options in the mcs than mc.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an S driver, I say go with the S. It is fun and fast and gets just about the same MPG.

But, get what feel right. I'd suggest you try to get a Sport Package if you drive aggressively and look for a LSD if you want to autocross.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Here's another vote for the MCS for all the reasons stated above. Of course, you didn't really think I was going to say anything else did you?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
You sound like an S driver to me, however I've got a base Cooper with automatic and have yet to be outrun by a stock S, have no problem in passing on the highway, no problem with high speed manuevers or any of those things that the S does better? Learn how to drive fast and the base MINI will keep you smiling.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Kyran
2nd Gear
I say get the MCS because that's where your heart seems to be.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM
magikald
1st Gear
Thanks for the input - I think deep down I knew MCS but thought it couldn't hurt to ask actual owners.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM
nitrogen76
2nd Gear
MCS. I have been wanting a cooper since 2003, and finally picked up an '05 MCS last week. I love it. Just do it.

I had a line on the '05MCS and a 07 convertible cooper. I decided on the MCS and I made the right decision. I feel like i'm 16 again when I drive it. I actually ENJOY my commute now.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
magikald
1st Gear
Thats what I miss....enjoying my drive. I HATE MY CURRENT CAR!!!!!! HATE IT!!!!!! And its leased so I don't even feel like its "my" car. I will never lease again...

Another question - which gen should I look at? R53 or R56? I am reading about quite a few issues with the turbos on the 07s. Would it be safer to get an 06 or 08 vs an 07?

I do have to say I absolutely loved my supercharger in the Redline...I haven't had much experience with turbos though. I am not looking to mod, just want something stock that is quick that will last awhile (at least 5-7 years from purchase)

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
mbu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by magikald
I am planning on getting an 07 or newer used MCS...
Since you are getting the mini used I wouldn't worry if it's a "S" or not! As pre-owned mini's pop up in your area you'll have a chance to test drive them and see if it meets your expectation(s). So far you're being VERY smart about your eventual purchase by taking your time and not jumping into anything. That's a very good character quality!

Last edited by mbu; 09-22-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Drive the R53 and the R56. They are quite different beasts. You'll know which one you want after a test drive or two.

As for the turbo issue in the R56... You may mean the "death rattle", which is actually the chain tensioner. 07 and most 08 can have the same issue. Check to see if the SIM has been performed on the engine. Most of the problems have been solved with the new tensioner. You will KNOW if the engine has the issue. You can not miss the noise. Just ask that the car NOT be started and warmed up before you get there. (It is also covered by the 4 year warranty)

Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
magikald
1st Gear
Well I test drove both a MC and MCS over the weekend. There was nothing used available so had to drive a 2011. What great car. There was a little noticeable difference between the two but not much. Of course, I could not get the MCS on an open expressway to really test out the turbo...but for city driving, an MC would be just fine. Quick, peppy and so much more interior room than what I imagined.

I am thinking an MC would be fine for my driving needs...but I will be on more test drives to make sure. Now to find an '05-06 MCS to test drive....!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
An R56 MC or MCS? Maybe a R53 upset? Oh my, the plot thickens.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM
magikald
1st Gear
I am a very indecisive person and this car will be my last for awhile. I need to make sure I make the right choice!!!

The only reason I am shying away from the MCS is more moving parts on the engine = more things that can go wrong in the long run. I plan on keeping this car for 10+ years. Which model year do you think would be most durable?

I WOULD LOVE TO GET AN MCS....the only thing holding me back from the newer models are the reported turbo issues.

ahhhhhhh....decisions, decisions.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
If you're planning on keeping it for 10 years, then you're planning on taking care of it, and you might as well enjoy it as well. Get as MCS and don't look back. Good luck! The only turbo issues that I know of is it's not big enough .

Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
I have a Just A Cooper and its fast but lacks that kick in passing speed = go with the S ! If i had to do it again = I would go S ! I might trade my Justacooper in a few years & get an S !
El Tiger

Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 AM
magikald
1st Gear
Well, looks like I found my car. But its not a MINI. Its a BMW 330xi. Was too good of a deal not to pass up. Love the car so much.

Did test drive a countryman and will probably be ordering one (husband absolutely loved it) in the 2012 or 2013 production year.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Congrats magikald on your new BMW. Great cars! I'm sure the all-wheel drive will not be wasted in those Michigan winters.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
RATS, SELL THE 330xi AND GET THE MINI. (Only kidding (not really)). Good luck and have fun, Have your husband order the Countryman tomorrow .

Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM
magikald
1st Gear
I still feel a twinge of heartbreak as I pass any MINI on the road....

But I am loving the V6, all wheel drive and xenon headlights!

Thanks to everyone for their great opinions and helpful information on this board. I'm sure I will still be a lurker as I will have a MINI someday....

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
loulo
1st Gear
my thoughts exactly, have 04 mc automatic that will move it on

Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
gwrx64
1st Gear
Congrats on the Bimmer.

I've been in your shoes, sort of.
I lusted for a Mini Cooper for about 3+ years. Then I found a steal of a deal on a brand new 2008 Nissan 350Z. Couldn't beat the price and figured that if I didn't like it after a year or so, I could sell it and not lose too much $$$.

After two seasons of AutoX in the 350Z, I decided to part ways. Lost about $900 so I'm not complaining. Went down to Mini and put in my order. Five weeks later, I picked it up and can't stop grinning.

Also, even though I really enjoy AutoX, the 350Z wasnt that fun to use on public roads. No excitement until I was pushing it past 7/10th's. Prior to the 350Z, I had a MercedesBenz SLK32 AMG. It was ferocious. Great on the track, but too easy to double-up the speed limit on most highways. In the MCS, going to get milk is a blast!

I guess it goes back to the old adage, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." Not that the MCS is slow, just much more "usable" and rewarding.

Cheers.