1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Doris01
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and HELP!

Hi there.

I have a 2005 Mini that was making chirping sounds so the dealership replaced the belt tentioner yesterday. The service light was also on so they installed an oxygen sensor. Well, this morning I took it to Jiffy LUbe to get an oil,filter change and about 1 hour after driving the car, it started to chirp again. Does this have anything to do with the oil change that was done?

I remember that the service guy at the MINI dealership asked me if the noise was worse when I had the air conditioner on.??? Whats that all about? Can the air cond. be the problem? It only has 56,783 miles on it and I'm good at keeping up with the maintenance so any advise will be greatly appreciated. I spent $412.00 yesterday to replace the belt tentioner but it's a good thing that the 02 sensor was covered by warranty or my husband would have been P!!!!! PLease any advice will be appreciated.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I understand that you were trying to save money by taking it to Jiffy Lube for the oil change, but you will never be able to hold one service facility accountable if you visit two different places in one day. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) Find a car guy husband.

2) Never go to Jiffy Lube. MINI oil changes are few and far between if you go by the book. How often are you having the oil changed?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
First - NEVER take your MINI to Jiffy Lube! Find a local independent mechanic who works on MINIs or BMWs.

The reason they asked about the AC is that the AC places a greater load on the belt - so if the belt was older, it could cause it to slip, hence the chirp. Without hearing the chirp, it's tough to diagnose. At least you know it's not the tensioner... Did they replace the belt at the same time? Has the belt ever been changed?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring your husband and come to my house and I will show you how to change your oil yourself. Filter and oil go for about $35-$40, plus you get to get your hands a little dirty, but thats why soap was invented.
I'm probably too far away, but I bet you could find someone closer to help. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 'chirping' sound could be a bad ac blower, that's why mini mechanic ask you if the ac was on.