1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got a MINI Cooper: Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
tripletaker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Got a MINI Cooper: Some Questions

After lurking for over two years and wanting a MINI, I just bought a used 2007 MINI Cooper S Chili Red for the first time today! It is a manual transmission and I have never driven a manual before so I learned how to drive it today (roughly). It came with the cold weather package, premium package, and the sports package.

It didn't come with a owner's manual (but downloaded it from the MINI Owner's lounge), or any sort of maintenance history. I am not that auto-savvy so I have a few questions and am asking for any tips or advice. Apparently I have I have 2000 miles left on the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Questions:
Should I take the car to the MINI dealership to get a checkup? Is this covered in the warranty or do I have to pay for it? What else should I ask them about? What is covered in the limited warranty? The speaker grille is a little chipped, would they fix that? Can they tell me the history of the car?
When I first started the car it seemed to rattle for a few minutes. Is this the infamous cold start rattle I read about?
What happens after 50,000 miles if the starts having major problems? Am I out of luke?
Anyone know a good mechanic in Atlanta, GA for MINIs?
I think I have runflats. For the future, what kind of tires should I get and where? What happens if I get regular tires and I get a flat? Where can I keep a spare?
Oh, and how do I get my phone's bluetooth to work? On the steering wheel there are buttons for it, but I don't see it in the menu.

Thanks and I'm excited!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Rustys' '05 Rag Top
1st Gear
Hi Triple taker:
In my manual it says most options can be turned on or off at the dealership. So that said , the dealer can tell you if your particular mini has that option or not. My onboard computer only tells me the outside temperature or the speed. but it may be able to be set for other readings.. Only the dealer can tell me. Rule of thumb. You can get an extended warrenty for much less if your car is still under factory warrenty than if u let the factory warrenty expire.. and u can set your deductable... I do not think the speaker cover will be covered.. sorry.. I have a small scrape on my right passenger inside door grip and it would have to be replaced to make it good.. but it is not real noticeable. so i live with it for now. Good luck with your Mini. I am sure you will love it... I don't want to go anywhere with out taking my mini... What is the deal with the "starter?".
thanks.. russ

Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We are located in Atlanta GA, Feel free to give us a call and we'll check your car out and get you a list to take to the dealer for your warranty work.

WAY Motor Works
3115 Marjan Drive
Atlanta GA 30340
10-6 mon-fri
www.waymotorworks.com

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
tripletaker
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I found a mechanic for my MINI.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Go see Way he will put you on the right road, good luck with your new ride.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you're gonna be in good hands.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tripletaker
After lurking for over two years and wanting a MINI, I just bought a used 2007 MINI Cooper S Chili Red for the first time today! It is a manual transmission and I have never driven a manual before so I learned how to drive it today (roughly). It came with the cold weather package, premium package, and the sports package.

It didn't come with a owner's manual (but downloaded it from the MINI Owner's lounge), or any sort of maintenance history. I am not that auto-savvy so I have a few questions and am asking for any tips or advice. Apparently I have I have 2000 miles left on the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Questions:
Should I take the car to the MINI dealership to get a checkup? Is this covered in the warranty or do I have to pay for it? What else should I ask them about? What is covered in the limited warranty? The speaker grille is a little chipped, would they fix that? Can they tell me the history of the car?
When I first started the car it seemed to rattle for a few minutes. Is this the infamous cold start rattle I read about?
What happens after 50,000 miles if the starts having major problems? Am I out of luke?
Anyone know a good mechanic in Atlanta, GA for MINIs?
I think I have runflats. For the future, what kind of tires should I get and where? What happens if I get regular tires and I get a flat? Where can I keep a spare?
Oh, and how do I get my phone's bluetooth to work? On the steering wheel there are buttons for it, but I don't see it in the menu.

Thanks and I'm excited!
It is 4yr/50K but you will have the 50K sooner anyway. You are out of luck unless you can purchase an extended warranty. Have them check the rattle - don't wait.
The dealer will probably have some history for any warranty work.
Most people dump the runflats and get a spare from another car. Use search tool
The wheel has the buttons even if the BT option is not present.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
tripletaker
1st Gear
Where can I find supplemental manuals for the 2007 Cooper? Also, I would like to find the service manual as well. Would the dealer have one to sell? I'm not sure what the recommended service intervals are. I am at 48,000 miles now. Is there anything I should be doing? (I guess I'll find out when I go to Way's and the dealer, but it doesn't hurt to be informed)

So far this car has been amazing!