1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter Housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
McnMINI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Filter Housing

The lid to my air filter housing is cracked where the screws secure it. Dealer says I have to have the whole box at a cost of $223. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one less expensive? All I really need is the top part that has the two screw holes, that's what's cracked. It's for a '06 MINI Cabriolet, automatic. Thanks for any help you can offer.

McnMINI

Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw an OEM one on eBay. You may also want to consider an aftermarket intake kit.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 AM
McnMINI
Neutral
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd try fixing it with epoxy, failing that you may find one here in the Marketplace. I saw one not too long ago.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McnMINI
The lid to my air filter housing is cracked where the screws secure it. ...
Plastics can be "hot air" welded or...perhaps a metal patch could be placed over the cracked area for reinforcement. For example, a piece of brushed stainless steel (SS) could be cut in a "design" such that it would look like the housing was actually manufactured with it on. The stainless would be bolted to the plastic with nice SS button head screws. This way, moisture will never cause it to rust.

A piece of stainless steel about 1/16 inch thick would be sufficient and it can be cut with a hand nibbler fairly easily. One can get a fairly large piece of sheet stainless steel from a junkyard for a couple of dollars. The button head SS bolts and nuts can be obtained at any hardware store such as True Value for about 10 cents each. You'll need to supply the "ingenuity" though! If you don't have a hand nibbler, the cost of this tool is around $10.00 and is a good addition to your toolbox.

Here is an example of a piece of SS that I used to protect the plastic by the accelerator petal from my "big feet".

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ification.html

It sounds like your lid broke at a weak spot and if you get a replacement it'll probably break too.

Would you mind posting a picture of the problem area?

Last edited by mbu; 09-30-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
McnMINI
Neutral
Picture

Here's a picture (if I uploaded it right!)...you can see the crack at the front bolt really good. The back is cracked too, but because of the hose right next to it, the area's hidden. You can see where my son tried some JB Weld on it - didn't hold, but he also didn't let it sit up for long, don't know if it would have worked or not.

Attached Thumbnails Air Filter Housing-housing-005.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Go aftermarket - it's cheap and it'll help the car breathe a little bit!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McnMINI
Here's a picture (if I uploaded it right!)...you can see the crack at the front bolt really good. The back is cracked too, but because of the hose right next to it, the area's hidden. You can see where my son tried some JB Weld on it - didn't hold, but he also didn't let it sit up for long, don't know if it would have worked or not.
I don't think JB Weld will work either! Check out this video...

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-re...aboard-290765/

There are similar products on the market if you don't want to go with this brand. The brand shown in the video, TAP Poly-Weld Adhesive, cost around $14.00 for 1 oz. which should be enough for your job. I'm pretty sure the filter housing is Polyethylene, but check it to be sure!

Last edited by mbu; 10-02-2010 at 06:22 PM.