1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 PM
gle_helle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Newbie

I've always loved MINIs, and I'm thinking of buying this one:

http://www.keeler.com/used/MINI/2005...eHistory=true#

Truthfully, I'm sort of being scared off by the reliability/repair horror stories out there. I figured this was a good place to come for support.

I can get what I think is a very good price, but no CPO.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
That car likely sold around 30K new, so the price is not out of line. It certainly looks well cared for by the pictures.

Do yourself a favor and get some education about potential problems here:http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

If this car has been maintained as it appears, it should be good for many miles. I have a 02 MCS with 70K that still runs like new. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a MINI mechanic (independent or dealer) take a look at it however.

I ran across a beautiful hardtop the other day, a "like new" 04 MCS with 29K miles that is obsolutely perfect inside and out. This car is available at an independent MINI shop where I have my car maintained. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/d1khUb

All the best in your MINI hunting. Take your time and find a well-maintained one; otherwise, you can spend a small fortune on neglected or abused cars.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Yes it looks good, but have it checked out before purchase, better safe than sorry.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 AM
gle_helle
Neutral
Thanks for the quick responses - I love car forums!

I can get it for $14,600 (really 15,600 and 1000 for my trade, but my trade isn't really worth anything), which is a good price, I just don't know if I'm getting myself into a frustrating ownership experience, despite an excellent diving experience.

The Carfax (for what it's worth) shows no manufacturer recommended services, and no services at all, really. Plus, the car came from Michigan, which means rough roads and possible mushrooming, right?

I think I need to look at it again, taking a careful look under the hood. Where should I look for leaks and other things a non-mechanic might be able to spot. I've never had a dealer let me take a car to a mechanic.

I'm just nervous about possible reliability nightmares, and I've owned Saab, Audi, and VW!

BTW, this is at a MINI dealership.

Last edited by gle_helle; 10-29-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
A couple of typical issues to look for are a leaky valve cover gasket & thermostat housing, as well as the coolant tank. I bought my MINI at an independent foreign car dealer, not affiliated w/any particular make. They had the car inspected before taking it on their lot, but had no problem w/transporting it to a MINI shop for a PPI.

The MINI dealer should be able to provide a history of service done on the car by any MINI dealer. Also - just my humble opinion - but they shouldn't balk at your request for an independent PPI if that's your wish. Your money for the PPI, your money for the purchase, what do they have to lose if they have faith in the car & nothing to hide?

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
gle_helle
Neutral
Honestly, are these cars less reliable than other European brands?

Looking over this site (and others) is like a horror show of potential big buck failures. Leaking gaskets, coolant tanks, mushrooming strut towers, and the odd $3,000 convertible top replacement. I know the Internet brings out all the complainers, but enthusiast sites are usually where I go to find out the good things.

I love this car and the price is right, but I feel like buying one of these out of warranty is a really bad idea.

I'm panicking, obviously, and I haven't even bought the car.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gle_helle
Honestly, are these cars less reliable than other European brands?

Looking over this site (and others) is like a horror show of potential big buck failures. Leaking gaskets, coolant tanks, mushrooming strut towers, and the odd $3,000 convertible top replacement. I know the Internet brings out all the complainers, but enthusiast sites are usually where I go to find out the good things.

I love this car and the price is right, but I feel like buying one of these out of warranty is a really bad idea.

I'm panicking, obviously, and I haven't even bought the car.
I haven't owned any other Euro brands, so I really can't offer a comparison. I will say that after having owned Honda, 2 Toyotas (both Camry's), and 2 Buicks, that every car will have issues at some point or another, some more than others. Personally, I'll never own another Buick as long as I live, but I digress. As vehicles age repairs are the nature of the beast.

I'm gonna dish a little tough love, so apologies in advance. I LOVE my '06 MINI, and am committed to doing whatever it takes to keep it on the road f-o-r-e-v-e-r. But if unexpected out-of-pocket repairs are a concern, I'd say buy a new MINI w/free maintenance & a four-year warranty, or buy a Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

I've had the valve cover gasket replaced, brakes flushed, and tires rotated. $180. Had the thermostat & housing replaced: $170. I don't have extra deep pockets, but these aren't big-ticket items to me. Everyone's different, and they may be for you, we all have different pain thresholds. If you tack on another zero, then it's a different story... Also, none of these repairs left me stranded, they were just things I needed to get done, but not catastrophic failures.

I believe that you really like this car, but if the prospect of having an out-of-warranty car is already bothering you this much, maybe it's not the right choice for you, or just not the right time. As another member wrote in a different thread "MINIs are so much fun they are worth the possibility of some hassles." But if you're already worried about the car being beyond warranty, and the unknown/unforeseen cost of repairs, that would probably spoil the driving & ownership experience.

I hope I haven't caused offense, just wanted to offer my $0.02. Best of luck no matter which way you go!

Last edited by fridayxiii; 10-29-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: phraseology
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
gle_helle
Neutral
No, no offense at all. This is what I do when I car shop: I find something I like, then I proceed to find every possible potential fault and assume I will have them all. It's maddening.

I can handle out-of-pocket expenses like yours and more, but the prospect of a convertible top failure the day after I drive off the lot is daunting.