1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is horrible.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is horrible.

I've had this problem ever since I got my 03 mcs. Shifting from 1-2nd is always jerky unless I do it super slow.

All the other gears are smooth as butter, even when I shift lightning fast.

What techniques do you guys use to go from first to 2nd. I am aware that 05's have different gear ratios? Did that fix this problem?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
therjparker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive an 03 R53 and I experienced the same issue you described for the first few weeks of driving it. Basically, it's a matter of "feel."

I've driven my fair share of manual transmissions before getting my cooper and suffice to say the MCS 6spd is a different breed than most. Basically what you said is true, 1st gear on the 03 S is "short" (meaning there's not much room there to wind out the gear). I thought this would be an issue I could never overcome and that would stand in the way of my enjoying the car, but it has not and I LOVE my MINI.

Some tips:
- If you're not accelerating up to a high speed right away, ride first only to about 2000-2200 rpms and go to second. You want to find 2nd where it's supposed to be and not over-shoot it.
- If you are accelerating quickly, you're going to have to shift quick. At first this can be a cumbersome maneuver but will become easier with more time behind the wheel. It did for me.
- Also, if you're really trying to wind her out a bit and you want to ride 1st, you can take it up to about 25mph or close to 30 and then jump right into 3rd, where you'll still have a good amount of torque to ride out 3rd till about 40-45 mph and go to 4, 5, and 6, depending on the road and whatnot.

The short answer, is to just practice. Which, hopefully, is as fun for you as it was for me. You will learn to drive your car smoothly and masterfully as it was indeed designed to be driven.

There is no inherent flaw in the manual tranny in the 03 coop, just a little tricky to master. I'm reminded of this fact when I let my friend drive my car. His car is also a manual but when he "wheels the coop" 1st to 2nd is a jerky experience.

Anyway, I hope my rambling has enlightened you in some way and hopefully you find your groove soon and come to feel real comfortable shifting in all situations and throughout all the gears. Happy motoring!