1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go ethanol free

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go ethanol free

check out pure-gas.org for a station near you

Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the link! ... but it doesn't list a vendor in my area.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mbu
Thanks for the link! ... but it doesn't list a vendor in my area.
They don't even list my state. I know NJ is the butt of jokes, but we have the refineries here. We should at least have unmolested gas.

///Me

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can find it you will notice an increase in power. mpg

Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am conflicted on this issue. I love power, but I also love the earth. I actually work in R&D for biofuel, so I may be biased. Biofuels are able to be produced on waste products, so they are renewable. We are not reliant upon foreign sources for energy and their uncompromisable economics if we move in this direction.

This will be detrimental in the short term (lower power, less efficiency), but if motor R&D start designing motors that take higher ethanol content into account, they can be every bit as good as traditional motors, imo.

Cheers!

Ryan

I am new to the forums. I just bought a 2011 MCS and I am in love with this car!!!! JCW will be my next!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EtherealPanMan
I am conflicted on this issue.
Many of us are.

Originally Posted by EtherealPanMan
I love power, but I also love the earth. I actually work in R&D for biofuel, so I may be biased. Biofuels are able to be produced on waste products, so they are renewable. We are not reliant upon foreign sources for energy and their uncompromisable economics if we move in this direction.
What percentage of the current ethanol comes from bio fuel made from something other than corn? My problem is that the corn subsidies are high and it seems to take a lot of oil to grow the corn.

Waste oil diesels? I am all for that. Ethanol from food waste. Bring it on. But if it is going to corrode the parts on my current ride, then I think we have to be cautious.

What are our prospects of large amounts of ethanol coming from waste rather then grown by large farms only because it makes economic sense with subsidies?

Rich

Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
EtherealPanMan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Many of us are.

What percentage of the current ethanol comes from bio fuel made from something other than corn? My problem is that the corn subsidies are high and it seems to take a lot of oil to grow the corn.

Waste oil diesels? I am all for that. Ethanol from food waste. Bring it on. But if it is going to corrode the parts on my current ride, then I think we have to be cautious.

What are our prospects of large amounts of ethanol coming from waste rather then grown by large farms only because it makes economic sense with subsidies?

Rich
Right now, most ethanol comes from corn. We are currently working on methods to create the ethanol from the waste products from corn (cornstover, cobs), as well as any lignocellulosic material. It will take some time to make a cost effective and efficient fuel, but it will happen.

There is a long term plan to make enough ethanol (from waste product) to supply all of our personal energy needs. It may come at a higher cost initially, but in some respects, it will be worth it.

Also - it will require a paradigm shift in motor R&D to take full advantage of these new fuels. This parallels the shift from leaded gas to unleaded in some respects.

Cheers!

Ryan