1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! Possible future DC area MINI addict...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
kedmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! Possible future DC area MINI addict...

I've looked at these cars for awhile now. I wanted one as my "first car" in '07 (when I say first car I mean a car that wasn't 12 years old handed down by my mother ), but it was out of my price-point. Three years later I was looking again - but unfortunately talked myself out of it and went for the cheaper, point-A-to-point-B 2010 Honda Fit Sport.

It's been about 4 months now and I can't tell you how much I regret my decision! I told myself that premium gas and the upkeep (along with all the horror stories I hear about HPFPs and transmissions and rattles etc etc) would just be more of a pain than it was worth, but I feel like I didn't give the MINI a chance. And while the Fit is reliable and easy - it's really boring and well, your typical Honda.

I see MINIs everywhere in Alexandria! I've visted the dcmetro MINI site (haven't posted but looked around), and it seems like there's a pretty big network. I've been considering trading in my '10 Fit for an '11 MC (justa); the 0.9% financing is tempting me terribly. I'd probably lose a good $2000 in my Fit down payment and taxes unfortunately, so I wonder if it's worth it. I live within walking distance of Alexandria MINI... I should really stop by and do a few test drives.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
amberback
5th Gear
Life is short, drive what you love.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by amberback
Life is short, drive what you love.
+1

To the OP: my last few cars were hand-me-downs too. I'd been lusting after a MINI since '02 or so, but for many reasons was forced to take the practical route when it came to cars. This year I was in a position to buy my "first car", and was urged to go practical again (Subaru Forester or Outback). I test drove '10 "justa's" & Ss, and well, it was all over but the buyin'

In late Sept. of this year, I found myself the perfect '06 S. amberback put it best. But I'll warn you, figure out if financially you can take the hit, make sure it makes sense for you first. Once you test drive emotions take over & it's likely all rationale goes right out the window, and :POOF: a MINI magically appears in your driveway or parking space.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come to the dark side. We have cookies. And a SPORT BUTTON!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Try it you will like it, or continue for 4 or 5 years with the Honda, your call.