1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Al

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
alchea1945
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al

I am new on this site. I was on it about 3 years ago, but lost track of it, but now I am back. I have a question for everyone. I have a 2006 Mini S with about 55,000 miles. My concern is: My steering wheel is developing small splits that are real close together. They are in 2 different areas of the wheel, and it makes the steering wheel feel very rough. Has anyone out there had this problem. The car stays in the garage when not in use, so it is not in the sun for long periods of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome!!
Sounds like the leather is getting dried out.
One disclaimer...becareful when putting anything on a steering wheel.
If the leather has already split, you might try a conditioner...put it on heavy, let it soak in, then wipe off the excess...
This will not fix the splits, but will soften the leather, and make it less rough, making it feel better...but like I said, be cautious with applying anything to the controls of your car.
I guess you could put one of those steering wheel covers over the oem wheel, or even have the leather redone!! All options, just depends on what you want to spend.
As for what to use, stick to a natural type product for leather...no amour-all type of stuff...the same stuff you would use on a fine leather jacket or seats should work wonders...just work it in, and give it some time...I know mink oil conditioners were once favored, not sure what is currently in use as the conditioner.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome back to the forum, hope the advice will help you.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
alchea1945
Neutral
ZippyNH - Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestions.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alchea1945
ZippyNH - Thanks for the reply. I will try your suggestions.
If that fails, you could try getting rewrapped by a place that does custom interior work....
This might be a bit of a longshot, but it might be worth a call...
Min-speed in FL once had lots of premade leather stuff for the r53 mini...WayMotorWorks.com bought most of their unsold stuff...(he also took over TSW line of stuff)so they might have a new steering wheel wrap...would be a simpler longterm solution if they still have any...installing it might be a challenge, but any interior shop, or maybe even a saddle maker (for horses, but I think youbarevin horse county) might becable to do it...
Then again to exaust the possibilites, you could even have a used steering wheel installed, and then simply reuse you airbad..cost other than a bit for the install might make it the cheapest of all!!