1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly ordered 2011 MCS arrives damaged!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM
azOrange
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly ordered 2011 MCS arrives damaged!

Hi all. This is my first post. I'm glad to finally post after gathering such great info from all of you.

I was due to pick up my new Spice Orange MCS with a bunch of goodies. I waited forever for this car, especially since I held out for a 2011 since last year, and then longer because I wanted a unit with Nav & Mini Connect.

Finally, I was all set to pick up my new Mini on Friday. Needless to say I couldn't wait! About 5 minutes prior to leaving for the dealer to take delivery, my MA calls and tells me that they need to hold onto it as was damaged as it was brought over from the VDC. The paint is chipped on the front and rear bumpers, and one of the side panels where the side scuttle sits. The damaged areas are relatively small, but enough to require repainting of the bumpers and the side panel. I'm confident it will look fine in the end, but disappointed nonetheless.

I was planning on driving straight from the shop to get a full ClearBra install, and then Viper Stripes and blacking out chrome. Now I need to wait for a yet unknown time period for the paint to fully cure before putting on the ClearBra and stripes.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how to approach the situation ? I am still excited about the car, but am wondering if I should just wait to take delivery until the paint cures. Does anyone know how long I should wait for the ClearBra application ? Should I worry about having those sections repainted on a brand new car ? Has anyone ever had similar issues upon taking delivery ? Any other recommendations ?

Thanks in advance, and like I said, thanks for the wealth of information that you have all already provided on these forums!!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine got hung up at the VDC when they noticed a paint scratch on one of the doors. Delayed a week, I think.

No help on the rest of your questions, though. But welcome!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Welcome to the forum azOrange!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:41 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear about this. the repaint job will probably be excellent and color match with it's blending process. however, you can be certain that dealer will know that it has been repainted if you want to trade in the car down the line. dealer has a tool to measure paint to discern on any body repair and will likely assume the worse case in valuing your car.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
It happens and doing a repair to fresh apint is a lot easier than 5 years old.
Just inspect it to make sure it is right. My Black Firehawk I ordered in 1995 took 9 months from GM and when game it had a big drip/run in the passanger side door. We reshot the that whole side of the car and it looked better than what the factory did.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 07 was delayed at the VDC with damage. My MA showed me their paperwork where they detailed the location and severity of a scratch. To this day I still can't find where the VDC fixed it. Looks perfect.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Not unheard of to get damage in shipment.
Look at what happened to some BMW's and a MINI here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-center.html

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by azOrange
Does anyone have any recommendation on how to approach the situation ? I am still excited about the car, but am wondering if I should just wait to take delivery until the paint cures. Does anyone know how long I should wait for the ClearBra application ? Should I worry about having those sections repainted on a brand new car ? Has anyone ever had similar issues upon taking delivery ? Any other recommendations ?
Fresh paint usually takes about a month to cure (really more like 2). It'd be tough for the dealer to agree to let you wait it out as they'd probably prefer to order you a new car and sell that one. Instead of waiting, I'd try and work some free stuff out of the deal (floor mats, license plate brackets, or something). I agree that the clear bra should wait until it has cured.

The tough part about waiting to take delivery until the paint cures is how it will affect incentives and pricing. I'm not sure of your situation, but I'd make sure the dealer will guarantee your finance rate/trade in pricing/etc. in writing.

Good luck and congrats. I'm sure you'll love the car!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
You should wait even if no repaint done.

The paint on your car is new. You need to wait at least two months before putting that ugly clear plastic crap all over it.

New paint needs to breath to cure properly.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I don't think the factory paint needs to cure.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
CaptainJack Kidd
1st Gear
azOrange… I feel your pain my 2011 JCW Clubbie received some damage during a transport accident.

Mine is scheduled for paint touch-ups this week, but now the south is buried in snow. I'm curious about this convo is there a paint curing window?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
The paint on your car is new. You need to wait at least two months before putting that ugly clear plastic crap all over it.

. . .

Ouch! That really hurt! IMO, the clear bra is not ugly clear plastic crap. If done right, you cannot see it on the car at all. I had clear bras on 2 previous cars, and they really do help protect the hood/bonnet. I'd say it is one of the best investments you can make to protect the paint of your MINI's bonnet.

azOrange: You can probably call the place where you are going to get the clear bra. I am sure the tech can tell you how much cure time, if any, the paint will need. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
azOrange
2nd Gear

New paint needs to breath to cure properly.
All of my previous cars have suffered from road damage, a chip here and there on the front bumper and hood. With the lower profile of the Mini I thought it might be worse, and perhaps I'd be better off with some ClearBra. Have you found that you don't have that type of damage, or are you more of the opinion that it isn't worth the trade-off of the look of ClearBra ?

I have to admit, I haven't seen a ClearBra application myself, but of what I've heard it is barely noticeable. Maybe that's my other option, not to ClearBra the car at all ?

thanks....

Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
azOrange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CaptainJack Kidd
azOrange… I feel your pain my 2011 JCW Clubbie received some damage during a transport accident.

Mine is scheduled for paint touch-ups this week, but now the south is buried in snow. I'm curious about this convo is there a paint curing window?
My understanding is that the curing is only an issue for ClearBra or perhaps vinyl applications. The danger is that later down the line, removing the ClearBra or vinyl might lift the paint if it had not been allowed to cure prior to the initial application. If you're not applying anything, I don't think you need to worry about the cure.

I also took a little tour of the dealers paint/body center. They appear to have some 'baking' bays that accelerate the curing, but only to a point. I'm trying to confirm that today.

Let's keep in touch on this ... I'm curious to see how your experience compares. It's a bummer, but we've waited this long so I guess a bit longer won't hurt too bad.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
What he said !!!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that the curing is only an issue for ClearBra or perhaps vinyl applications. The danger is that later down the line, removing the ClearBra or vinyl might lift the paint if it had not been allowed to cure prior to the initial application. If you're not applying anything, I don't think you need to worry about the cure.
************************ AND************************
I still say that clear crap is butt ugly & it is visible.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
************************ AND************************
I still say that clear crap is butt ugly & it is visible.

X2....... Did not get the very visable and fugly bra or any stealership ad-ons......

6 months later, the only chip on the front is right at the top edge of the hood scoop area - an area right on the edge the clear bra would not have covered.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
azOrange- Sorry to hear you MINI was damaged in transport. If it was my MINI I would want to see the damage before it is repaired. I would have them re-order me another car if a lot has to be painted. There are some very good body shops around that do stellar work. Is your dealer one of those?

I agree with you getting a clear bra. I thought about doing that to mine, but in only 2 weeks it was already to late. Rock chips all over my new MINI. If you have to wait 2 months to have the clear bra installed it will be to late for you too.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
azOrange
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
azOrange- Sorry to hear you MINI was damaged in transport. If it was my MINI I would want to see the damage before it is repaired. I would have them re-order me another car if a lot has to be painted. There are some very good body shops around that do stellar work. Is your dealer one of those?

I agree with you getting a clear bra. I thought about doing that to mine, but in only 2 weeks it was already to late. Rock chips all over my new MINI. If you have to wait 2 months to have the clear bra installed it will be to late for you too.
I did drive out to see the damage. The nicks themselves are indeed small, one on each bumper and one on the small side panel/fender where the side scuttle sits. I was thinking the same about re-ordering, but then again there are others around here that seem to have experienced similar issues. The way it was explained to me if the cost of repairs fall under 3% of the car value, the repairs don't even have to be disclosed! I'm thinking I'll start off by requesting the invoice showing the repair value. If the cost is over the 3% threshold it may sway me as to which way to go with the deal.

thanks...

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Really doubt you could refuse delivery without loosing your deposit - new cars are damaged all the time in transport. Why do you think they are plastered with all kinds of pads trying to protect them from the longshoreman of the world....

Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by azOrange
All of my previous cars have suffered from road damage, a chip here and there on the front bumper and hood. With the lower profile of the Mini I thought it might be worse, and perhaps I'd be better off with some ClearBra. Have you found that you don't have that type of damage, or are you more of the opinion that it isn't worth the trade-off of the look of ClearBra ?

I have to admit, I haven't seen a ClearBra application myself, but of what I've heard it is barely noticeable. Maybe that's my other option, not to ClearBra the car at all ?

thanks....
Hi azOrange,

The clear bra decision may depend on the type of driving you'll be doing and the color paint you have. I drive for a bit every day on the interstate, where rocks fall off construction trucks and road debris flies everywhere all the time. Dings happen almost daily it seems! I got a ding in my paint right next to the MINI wings on the bonnet as I was driving my MINI home after taking delivery and I was so mad. I know dings are going to be visible on my Chili Red, but it was still so annoying to see that as soon as I drove the car home.

I got the clear bra a few days later and I am so happy. The clear bra has not only reduced the number of visible dings, but it also makes it easier to remove things from your car like bird droppings, dead bugs from car trips, and other crap you might encounter on the road. All that stuff washes right off, no problem! I got the clear bra for the bonnet, head lamps, side view mirrors, and boot bumper. And I can hardly seen any lines because the installer I use is a real pro. The decision over the clear bra is a personal one, but I would much rather have a fine line, which is really only visible when you stoop over to inspect the bonnet, than a bunch of dings all over my MINI. Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide to do!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a Clear Bra on my '03 JCW for 65K and did not have a mark on my front end. I did not get it on my '09 Clubman S, and now at 30K miles I wish I had. It'll cost far more to have the front end repainted than what the clearbra would have cost, especially on a metallic paint car.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I just learned to love my dings and chips.

If necessary to overcome any negative impact, I could probably make up some really good story about how they got there.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
CaptainJack Kidd
1st Gear
I've been switching back and forth on the clear bra option after seeing these comments.

But, mine will be Midnight Black Metallic, and based on the three nicks mine received during the transport accident. I really think the smart decision for me is to go with the clear bra. I also think the boot bumper is a smart choice for my car.

I've started used car shopping for my daughter… what a headache, and one of the first things I've started noticing is the scraps and scratches to the trunk bumpers.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about these problems. I had the ClearBra installed at the dealer before taking delivery, and I'm happy with that decision.

Good luck to you. I hope you'll be motoring soon!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CaptainJack Kidd
I've been switching back and forth on the clear bra option after seeing these comments.

But, mine will be Midnight Black Metallic, and based on the three nicks mine received during the transport accident. I really think the smart decision for me is to go with the clear bra. I also think the boot bumper is a smart choice for my car.

I've started used car shopping for my daughter… what a headache, and one of the first things I've started noticing is the scraps and scratches to the trunk bumpers.

I take my kids back and forth to school everyday, and having the clear bra on the boot area of my Clubman has really saved it from getting banged up by backpacks, computer cases, and clarinet cases!

Quick Reply: Newly ordered 2011 MCS arrives damaged!