1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time car enthusiast/autocrosser in Pensacola FL

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
bronxbomber252
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time car enthusiast/autocrosser in Pensacola FL

Hello all,

I am a driving enthusiast and avid autocrosser as is my wife. I currently Daily drive my S2000 which is also my autocross car. I want something that will be fun to drive, more fuel efficient, and more practical to compliment our S2000 and Durango. We are considering a new Mini Cooper as a DD and I decided to join here to learn more about them. I figure the regular Cooper is the better bet for us because it is cheaper and more fuel efficient and likely more reliable. Plus I have the S2000 for my HP fix.

-Is there anything I need to be aware/weary of?
-Is the sport suspension worth the upgrade for a DD that is not the primary "fun" car?

About me and my Wife:
We are stationed at NAS Pensacola FL. but, my wife is still up in NJ finishing her degree in Engineering. I am a 2nd Lt. in the Air Force and am here to train to be a Combat Systems Officer (basically a Navigator that also does electronic warfare and weapons systems). I grew up in NY and NJ and my wife grew up in NJ.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Welcome to NAM, Bryan.

You must have peeked at the SCCA H Stock Solo Nationals results before deciding that the regular Cooper (sometimes called the Justa, or MC here) would be better for you than the MCS.

My wife and I autocrossed a '64 Mini Cooper S in the early '70s, but I've been autocrossing a Cayman S since '06. Missing the old MCS, wife bought an '06 MC last October as her second car. My other car is a M3, so I find the MC to be an enjoyable change of pace, so to speak. It's a momentum car, so you'll need to stir the shifter a lot to keep up the pace; a bit like keeping the S2000's revs up, but with a much lower red line. In short, they're a lot of fun to drive.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Bryan,
Welcome to NAM!
You might check the NAM Marketplace ads.
There were a couple of Solo Spec cars for sell about a month ago.
Would like to thank you for your service to our country.
My son is in the Army and he has said you airdales are doing a great job supporting the ground pounders. THANK YOU!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
bronxbomber252
1st Gear
Thank you all!... I don't have too much aspiration to autox the Mini (except as a backup if the S2k breaks)... It's really going to be more of a commuter car that gets driven spiritedly... So as such Im probably going to go for a few of the niceties that the SCCA HS crowd avoids for weight reasons... (after DD'ing a roadster, I gotta at least have a sun roof lol) I really look forward to learning more about the car, Mine (when I get it) will probably stay bone stock, As I tinker a lot with the S2k since it is an STR car as opposed to a BS car. But who knows... Maybe when I get a promotion or 2, the S2k will get converted into a track car and the Mini will become the autox machine!

@Vollgas: THank you for your son's service as well... Airpower alone cannot win a war, but without the aerial supply lines, strategic bombing, Air superiority, and close air support, the ground forces cannot meet their full potential. It is a huge team effort, beyond what most realize. it feels good to know the "ground pounder's" appreciate the support we give them!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
JTang
1st Gear
lol i might end up selling my mini because i have orders to japan and i leave in july. Soo if youre still interested..... ill be passing through pensacola to go back home to tampa =)

Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM
bronxbomber252
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JTang
lol i might end up selling my mini because i have orders to japan and i leave in july. Soo if youre still interested..... ill be passing through pensacola to go back home to tampa =)
Keep me in the loop, Definitely something to consider