1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perhaps a new Mini owner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Shift.
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a new Mini owner?

Hello everyone, glad to be a part of the site, and hopefully own a Mini soon as well. Here's my story.

I currently own an 06' Honda Civic Si. Great fun little car, and couldn't be happier with it. Only had it for about a year, but I've started to get a little bored of it. I've driven the heck out of it, and am nearing the 100k mark already, which has made me think of trading it in before it REALLY depreciates.

I had wanted a Mini a few years back, but they were too much for me at around that time. 20k~ or so (I'm a 20-year-old college student) . But now, I can actually afford one.

I'm looking at a nice 05' S for about $12k, which is around what I'd like to spend. I currently owe about $10k on the Si, but I've already come through with a buyer, so I'll pretty much be breaking even.

Now here comes my real question. As far as mechanics and reliability, what seems to be the best "bang-for-your-buck" year? I know mileage has a lot to do with it, but I'm sure there has to be some features that were only available after a certain year.

Also, would it be worth the extra 2~4k for a Turbo 07' over a Supercharged 06'? Again, I'm assuming preference has a lot to do with it as well.

I know this is all a lot to ask, but after digging around the site I was still yearning that "tailored" answer, lol. I guess it serves as an introduction for me as well.

Oh - And on a performance standpoint, has anybody switched over from an Si? I'd love to hear some thoughts on that as well.

Thank you all for your time, I do appreciate it greatly.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your research. All the answers are here on the NAM site someplace. Everyone has an opinion. I hope someone who has owned both will weigh in for you.

My first suggestion is that you take a long test drive in both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 MINI. Be sure you can try some cycles of acceleration from a stop and passing speeds. Then take them through the twisties. You will feel a difference and probably know which you want to too buy.

As for reliability, the '05 & '06 are reported to be the best of the Gen 1s. The Gen 2s had an issue with the timing chain "Cold Start" which is reported to be solved by most owners. If you go to the problem threads for both Gen 1 &2 you will find other issues that owners are having. While these problems are real for those that are reporting they are not a majority of owners.

Motoring File is a great place to find a buying guide.

I love my '07 MCS!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with your search of finding the perfect MINI for you! You'll find it, I'm sure.

Have you driven both? (supercharged and turbo?) They are completely different, so if you haven't, I would advise you to do that before you start shopping around.