1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so maybe I cheated

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Fahrout
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so maybe I cheated

...just a little bit. I know the name of this place is North American Motoring. Problem is, I don't live in North America. Now, dont get me wrong, I am an American, but I dont live there right now. I have lived in Germany for the last 7 years or so, but am now on temporary assignment to Kuwait (but going home in 18 days!).

I found myself here because I have been in Kuwait for almost six months, and that means I have not driven my Mini in waaaay too long. So, I vicariously experience it through the internet. Certainly not at all adequate, but for now, its all I have.

Now, about my Mini. It is a 2007 R56, with the JCW engine mod, and various other aftermarket bits and pieces bolted on in strategic locations. Her favorite hobby is terrorizing Audis on the autobahn.

So, that is it. Hopefully you fine folks will not hold my geographic deception against me. If it helps, I am due to return to the States in another year os so.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
No cheating necessary. Originally the site was MINI Cooper Online (MCO), but BMW had a hissy fit, so they had to change the name.
Welcome! It's a great place to learn, or just obsess.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!
I want to thank you for your service to the US.
My son is also overseas, 4th tour.
Sounds like you have been bitten by "Mini Madness".
Good luck and Godspeed.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
thank you for your sacrifice, and welcome!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like an awesome MINI. How do you like the JCW kit? Do you feel like the exhaust adds too much of a drone at highway speeds?(I'm debating the tuning kit).

You'll be back driving the MINI soon enough and showing those Audi's your tailights on the autobahn. Thank you for your service and we'll see you here stateside soon.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fahrout!!

Thank you for your service

Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Fahrout
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated.

@ NJ Mini:I personally think the JCW kit was worth it. It does add some power, but what I really like is how the engine responds now, the way the engine pulls all the way up the RPM band seems much improved over the old firmware. It seems to have better throttle response too.

The exhaust does not seem too drony to me, but then again I almost always have some tunes on the stereo, so I may not be the most objective opinion. I do know that when the dealer drives it around the corner to the maintenance bay (not sparing the throttle either, the maintenance manager really likes my Mini, as Germans do not modify their cars much at all) the exhaust sounds really great, much better than stock from an outside-the-car perspective.