1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions

After months of searching, we finally purchased our new (to us) ’07 MCS MT last Sat. forenoon. We had picked out the car several weeks ago, but due to a thick layer of ice on our long, steep driveway, it’s been sitting waiting for better weather. The weather here in NE OH has turned back to winter, so our timing was good. It will sit in its new home until the roads clear again and rains wash off some of the crud.

I have several silly questions. First, when you open the door, there’s a sound like a servo that lasts for a few seconds – what is it? Speaking of the door, when you close it, there’s an extra thud coming from inside that sounds like a worker left his or her Thermos inside, any thoughts as to what that is? I don’t want to run a front license plate and would like to remove the bracket. Since the back of the bumper is hidden so, can anyone tell me if the screws which attach the bracket are going into tapped holes or are there nuts involved?

We’ve ordered an indoor cover strictly for dust protection, but it has yet to arrive. I thought it would be a good idea to see how hard the antenna is to remove from its base and it is VERY hard. Is there a trick to removing it or did the previous owner resort to Loc-Tite to thwart thieves?

I should add that when checking the oil, it was virtually impossible to see the 1st try. I ran a search and found this is a fairly common complaint. However, someone posted you need to have good lighting, so I gave it another shot. The 2nd time around, I made sure the gauge was good & dry, re-inserted and looked at it away from the hood’s shadow. The shine from the oil was very apparent and easy to read as advertised.

Last, those who utilize a lug bolt assist tool, do the ones which are straight (as opposed to those w/ a step) present any problems when sliding wheels on or off?

Any help with my newbie questions will be appreciated.
JH in NE OH

Last edited by bluesman77; 02-21-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The door sound might just be the windown sealing up that 3/4"....

The front plate just unscrews from the plastic bumber, no nuts.

Think I would just cut a slit or hole in the car cover for the antennea and leave it alone.

Oil check when cold easy cheesy.

Straight alignment tool is best, got the one linked in my sig x 2.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
Thanks for your fast response! I may be missing something here - not sure what you mean about the door sound. Does the window glass move up & down when you open/close the door? It's definitely a motor running a short period of time. Thank you for the cover suggestion - a much better idea than unthreading/threading the antenna anytime we want to drive.

Now if only the paint hasn't been scared by the bracket, I'll be very pleased. Though, I have to admit, as much as I dislike the appearance of front license plates, the MINI's isn't objectionable.

Again, thanks for answering my questions.

Originally Posted by MCS Fever
The door sound might just be the windown sealing up that 3/4"....

The front plate just unscrews from the plastic bumper, no nuts.

Think I would just cut a slit or hole in the car cover for the antennea and leave it alone.

Oil check when cold easy cheesy.

Straight alignment tool is best, got the one linked in my sig x 2.

Last edited by bluesman77; 02-21-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: better writing
Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
brettno1
1st Gear
I believe the servo sound is the fuel system being primed for starting the car.

Yes, the window (of whatever door you open) drops a fraction of an inch when you open the door, and raises the same amount when the door is closed. It happens very fast, but if watch for it you'll see it happen.

The antenna screws off. Mine unscrews very easily but yours might take a little extra strength if it hasn't been removed before.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you're finding the help you need here!