1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not a new owner, new to modding

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a new owner, new to modding

Hello there -

This forum seems like a great place for help.

I have a 2006 mini, base model - the R50. I paid it off a few months ago and now I figure it is time to start doing some neat things to it - it is part of the fun of owning one, right?

So far I have added a Magnaflow catback exhaust and replaced the stock filter with a K&A. The performance increase in noticeable and the sound the car makes is mechanical music.

I'm in Los Angeles California - if anyone has recommendations or experience with their car, it would be nice to hear.

brian

Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spoonclaymore
Hello there -

This forum seems like a great place for help.

I have a 2006 mini, base model - the R50. I paid it off a few months ago and now I figure it is time to start doing some neat things to it - it is part of the fun of owning one, right?

So far I have added a Magnaflow catback exhaust and replaced the stock filter with a K&A. The performance increase in noticeable and the sound the car makes is mechanical music.

I'm in Los Angeles California - if anyone has recommendations or experience with their car, it would be nice to hear.

brian
how long after purchase did you add the exhaust and welcome

Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
I purchased the 2006 model in the beginning of 2007, so it was a late model purchase. I added the exhaust in January after owning the mini just under four years.

Mid February was when I had the car for four years.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I purchased the 2006 model in the beginning of 2007, so it was a late model purchase. I added the exhaust in January after owning the mini just under four years.

Mid February was when I had the car for four years.
so you waited till your warrenty was up to put on the exhaust?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
Yes, definitely. I actually waited to do any modding until the car was paid off as well - I wanted to make sure it was actually "mein mini" and I would not have to worry about voiding the warranty or paying it off.

I didn't actually check, but does changing out the exhaust void the warranty? I assume it does. I am also looking to the back seat removal option - remove 37 lbs and increase storage space. I read that removing the back seats voids the warranty as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
trust me having a 2 seater sucks.. you can never have more than one friend

Old 02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
I hear you. I'm debating it, but I haven't tipped the scales yet. I'm figuring I will focus on the performance mods first since that is the most fun for me.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I hear you. I'm debating it, but I haven't tipped the scales yet. I'm figuring I will focus on the performance mods first since that is the most fun for me.
\do you have a intake system yet?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
\do you have a intake system yet?
I do not. So far just the exhaust and a non-stock filter - K & A, the triangular version for my model. I looked at upgrading the air intake, but I don't think California would be too friendly with that.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the rear seats are vestigial at best, deleting them is a no-brainer IMHO. Pounds lost is performance gained.
Along the same line of thought, find some lightweight 15" wheels.
Do some searching and I'll bet you can come up with a CA friendly CAI. I realize this means ditching the $40+ filter panel you just bought, but someone here will buy it.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I do not. So far just the exhaust and a non-stock filter - K & A, the triangular version for my model. I looked at upgrading the air intake, but I don't think California would be too friendly with that.
wut is it noise violation or your just not aloud to have after market intakes?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
wut is it noise violation or your just not aloud to have after market intakes?
It's C.A.R.B. Without going into too much detail here, there is an entire section on aftermarket modifications. I think the section on after market intakes says that they must be enclosed. If they are not, then they must follow factory specifications. If that is the case, then there really is no point in the mod.

The thing about modifying the air intake is that it might affect the smog test that every five year old car has to pass every year.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
It's C.A.R.B. Without going into too much detail here, there is an entire section on aftermarket modifications. I think the section on after market intakes says that they must be enclosed. If they are not, then they must follow factory specifications. If that is the case, then there really is no point in the mod.

The thing about modifying the air intake is that it might affect the smog test that every five year old car has to pass every year.
wow is it only cali that has the law?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM
spoonclaymore
1st Gear
wow is it only cali that has the law?
Some other states might have adopted part of the law, but yes it is a California mandate because of the amount of cars on the road here.

I imagine other states may adopt similar laws at this point.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, the vehicle inspection was very strict in comparison to other states. Pulling the tires to check the brakes was the most in-depth check I remember, and also the wear on the tires along with lights, hazards, turn signals.

In South Carolina, the vehicle inspection was windshield wipers, turn signals, brakes, horn and high beams.

In California there is a SMOG test. Every year you take your car - if it is five years or older - to get smog tested. If it does not pass, you have to pay a lot of money until it will. I guess that would be a catalytic converter replacement, at least. You cannot register your car unless you have the valid passed SMOG test and insurance. I think older cars, like 15 or 20 years, have an exemption.

That's why I was leery at first about the exhaust upgrade, but the catalytic converter is still in place. I suppose an upgraded intake would not hurt the smog emissions either, but I am hoping to hear if someone else had had done anything like this yet.