1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mini Cooper S

Hey everyone, i just purchased a 2004 Mini Cooper S. $11,200 with 68K mi 6 speed premium package with 17' rims and strut bar.. Its a greeeeat car and i just wanna get some pointers and/ or opinions and whats normally the first upgrade i should look at. Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by niquemarshall
Hey everyone, i just purchased a 2004 Mini Cooper S. $11,200 with 68K mi 6 speed premium package with 17' rims and strut bar.. Its a greeeeat car and i just wanna get some pointers and/ or opinions and whats normally the first upgrade i should look at. Thanks
Tires and general maintenance

Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!
Post pics of your new baby, too.
Before doing any mods, I would make sure all your general maintenance is up to par first. Check brake fluid, pads and rotors, engine oil, trans fluid, cabin, air, oil filters, s/c belts, plugs and wires, check for leaks on the coolant expansion tank (white residue) motor mounts (greasy) and oil around the crank seal/gasket also check front lower control arm bushings and check for cracked upper strut mounts. Do a search function to any of those issues and you will find a DIY to help you out, the later 2 issues are more involved and might require the help of and independent MINI shop. Also, check out a Bentley book for the MINI.

After that I would suggest a 19mm rear sway bar to minimize body roll even more and a 15% pulley (with belts and plugs) for increased horse power. And as soon as the run-flats wear out get some sticky non run flats tires, for better grip and more comfort.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 03-02-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Welcome Nique to NAM and the world of MINI motoring: It sounds like you found a very nice R53 MCS, otherwise known as "Gen 1".

Here's a link to the forum's many threads on mods: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fications-196/

If you haven't already heard about the "magic switch" on the R53 (MCS), here's the entire kit for a reasonable price: http://bit.ly/bs5HNA This kit plus a high-volume CAI and new cat-back pipes will help your MCS breath harder. These mods alone will put you around the 200WHP mark. Epic fun.

Happy motoring!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome nique marshall

Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome n enjoy it..there lot of upgrades to do.. toughg part is which ot do first

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
howsoonisnow: the car is in great condition, i have checked all fluids, all it needed was wiper fluid and "CHF" fluid whatever that is. I had the car inspected on a lift by a mechanic and he said its all good except for slightly overfilled power steering fluid. And ive replaced the spark plugs the other day, used NGK 4 prong laser plugs. And it already has the pulley reduction on it. And the tires are BFGoodrich G-Force.
On another notw, i dont really know how to post pix yet....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by *Ghost*
Welcome nique marshall
Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
the car is in great condition, i have checked all fluids, all it needed was wiper fluid and "CHF" fluid whatever that is. I had the car inspected on a lift by a mechanic and he said its all good except for slightly overfilled power steering fluid. And ive replaced the spark plugs the other day, used NGK 4 prong laser plugs. And it already has the pulley reduction on it. And the tires are BFGoodrich G-Force.
On another notw, i dont really know how to post pix yet....
Welcome to the MINI world.

Before recommending more mods, you might want to ask yourself what exactly you will be doing with your new MINI. Do you intend to go to auto-x or high performance driver education days? Will this just be a show piece? Will it be for blasting down back roads? Do you want to get into racing?

There are just so many things that a MINI is good for. Once you have answered those questions then you can make plans that will keep you working towards a goal. With a goal set people can make more specific recommendations to help you get there.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Welcome to the MINI world.

Before recommending more mods, you might want to ask yourself what exactly you will be doing with your new MINI. Do you intend to go to auto-x or high performance driver education days? Will this just be a show piece? Will it be for blasting down back roads? Do you want to get into racing?

There are just so many things that a MINI is good for. Once you have answered those questions then you can make plans that will keep you working towards a goal. With a goal set people can make more specific recommendations to help you get there.
Well as of right now, not looking to make crazy power levels since its still a daily driver. I just want a daily driver that i can have fun in!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Welcome to NAM!
Before doing any mods, I would make sure all your general maintenance is up to par first. Check brake fluid, pads and rotors, engine oil, trans fluid, cabin, air, oil filters, s/c belts, plugs and wires, check for leaks on the coolant expansion tank (white residue) motor mounts (greasy) and oil around the crank seal/gasket also check front lower control arm bushings and check for cracked upper strut mounts. Do a search function to any of those issues and you will find a DIY to help you out, the later 2 issues are more involved and might require the help of and independent MINI shop. Also, check out a Bentley book for the MINI.

After that I would suggest a 19mm rear sway bar to minimize body roll even more and the a 15% pulley for increased horse power. And as soon as the run-flats wear out get some sticky non run flats tires, for better grip and more comfort.
How are you 7th gear forum ranking?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Well, 32xx posts might be a clue.....
To the OP, sounds like you got the MINI with the basics done already. Sounds like you are like me, just want to have some fun with the daily driver. You might look into a good CAI and maybe a nice exhaust(enhance the "audio" portion of the motoring experience ). A larger rear sway bar will help with the handling and maybe a front strut brace (although the benefits of this are debatable). Lighter wheels are always a good choice.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NMgokart
Well, 32xx posts might be a clue.....
im saying there is no 7th gear...

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
ufomini
4th Gear
1) Non runflat tires
2) Cold Air Intake
3) Smaller Pulley (Way Motor Works pulley package) Etc...
4) Poly Bushings (Control Arm)
5) Koni Struts
6) Larger rear sway bar

7) Updated Radar Detector

After all basics are checked.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ufomini
7) Updated Radar Detector

After all basics are checked.
im sad that radar detectors are illegal in VA

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no,

"Pass the Rum, Yo!"

either...

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
There's no,

"Pass the Rum, Yo!"

either...
haha but here they have radar detector radars.. and its around a 500 dollar fine. not worth it

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

After that I would suggest a 19mm rear sway bar to minimize body roll even more and the a 15% pulley for increased horse power. And as soon as the run-flats wear out get some sticky non run flats tires, for better grip and more comfort.
I have posted pictures of the MCS. It should be on my profile

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
How are you 7th gear forum ranking?
BMWMotorsport 7-Speed M Drivelogic Double-Clutch Transmission Race System.
The benefits of being in the Alliance.
I have posted pictures of the MCS. It should be on my profile
Nice!!
So with the mods, you got a good deal.
Check and see if it has a sway bar already?
Next?? Cam? Header? Tune?
Also, seems you live near "my version of Disneyland" you got Virginia International Raceway take an HPDE course. Also, Summit Point nearby WVA.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 03-02-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
BMWMotorsport 7-Speed M Drivelogic Double-Clutch Transmission Race System.
The benefits of being in the Alliance.

Nice!!
So with the mods, you got a good deal.
Check and see if it has a sway bar already?
Next?? Cam? Header? Tune?
Also, seems you live near "my version of Disneyland" you got Virginia International Raceway take an HPDE course. Also, Summit Point nearby WVA.
O i wish i did live near VIR.. i live in florida.. And random question.. i noticed that near the gear shifter like under the boot, i see three colored cords that indicate that some aftermarket component was there at some time.. what could this be?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
O i wish i did live near VIR.. i live in florida.. And random question.. i noticed that near the gear shifter like under the boot, i see three colored cords that indicate that some aftermarket component was there at some time... what could this be?
here is the picture

Attached Thumbnails First Mini Cooper S-wp_000046.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
First07MINI
1st Gear
Those are audio connectors, probably for an amplifier. Welcome to NAM and happy motoring!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
jharmon
Neutral
New Mini Convertible Owner....Need Help!

Hi all. Just purchased a 2007 Mini Coop Convertible, 7,000 miles - love it. So many gadgets to learn. Anyone willing to give me some pointers regarding all the goodies on the dash? Have read the owner's manual, and don't get some of it. I'll be luck to figure out radio station programming! Thanks much.

J

Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
buckland
3rd Gear
I think I might be a little pre-mature being on this site right now. I don't get my new Mini until mid March. Just two or three weeks to wait.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jharmon
Hi all. Just purchased a 2007 Mini Coop Convertible, 7,000 miles - love it. So many gadgets to learn. Anyone willing to give me some pointers regarding all the goodies on the dash? Have read the owner's manual, and don't get some of it. I'll be luck to figure out radio station programming! Thanks much.

J
use the owners lounge. it does wonders?

Quick Reply: First Mini Cooper S