1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Looking to purchase a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
janelson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Looking to purchase a Mini

Hi
I am new to this form and I am interested in and looking to purchase a used Mini Cooper. I just wondered if there is anything special I should be looking at. What about years, first generation, getrag gearbox, Mini Cooper S, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the intended purpose of your MINI? Are you looking for a big-city commuter?, something to have fun with on the weekends? Auto-X? The more details you can provide, the better we can answer your questions.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear

Could you give us alittle insite on what oyu want to do with the car?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
janelson
Neutral
OK
I am looking for a mini to commute back and forth to work but I am also looking to do some driving the Blue Ridge Parkway on the weekends. I commute about 16 miles to work, mostly city driving in Charlotte, NC.

I just want something more fun to drive than my 16 year old Ford Ranger. Also might take some road trips to Ohio through the mountains.

Thanks John

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by janelson
OK
I am looking for a mini to commute back and forth to work but I am also looking to do some driving the Blue Ridge Parkway on the weekends. I commute about 16 miles to work, mostly city driving in Charlotte, NC.

I just want something more fun to drive than my 16 year old Ford Ranger. Also might take some road trips to Ohio through the mountains.

Thanks John
would you be looking for a faster car like a supercharger car or tubro car. or just a regular car?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd recommend test driving both the Cooper and the Cooper S. Plenty of us, me included, feel the Cooper is zippy enough, but some feel the extra straight line power in the Cooper S is a necessity. Find out what suits your driving style.

Are you looking for a manual or automatic? If auto, stay away from 1st generation non-S coopers with the CVT trans, they are known to fail and it's not cheap.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that's not going to be hard to do.
Sounds like you are looking for a daily driver with a bit extra. The Cooper S is definitely for you. Trust me, if you buy a "justa" you will be looking at Ss very shortly. And will have to go thru the trade thingy. Been there, done that.
Just get the S the start with and go from there.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
janelson
Neutral
Thank you for the quick responses. Yes, I want a 5 speed or 6 speed manual. Any thoughts on the getrag gearbox which I think was introduced around 2004. What about first generation vs. second generation. I understand about getting an S, but is reliability an issue with the turbo?

Thanks