1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Laardilla, did we meet at HelenBlitz? We need to get together at The Dragon. We are staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville. They only had suites left for $90 or so. When are you thinking of leaving? We're planning on being on the road at 0500ish.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep! That was me. I am driving up to the Mom's in Lenoir, NC after my first final exam on wednesday. I will probably be at the Dragon thursday through sunday..

Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice lookin' MINI! Congrats.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
how do i find out wut tint is legal in VA
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
OK...I couldn't wait any longer.....I just bit the bullet and put the NM Engineering Cat back exhaust on my VISA card!!

I can't wait till it gets here next week.....

If it sounds anything like this one it should be Sweeettttt.

I wanted deep and fairly quiet (Im 38..LOL) and after all the searching and discussions I went with NM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZjO0bZG-go

Larry

PS_--Also staying at the Microtel in robbinsville for the MOTD

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
sarahgordy
Neutral
Mini Hatchback hinge broke

Though I am 12lbs soaking wet I managed to break the hinge on my mini's hatch back. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace or how much this may cost me?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Do cat-backs give you CEL's? The deepest plunge I've taken in performance mods is the NM Engine Torque Arm Insert. At The Dragon, Way is going to install the WMW Performance Blow Off Valve. That will be it for me for awhile. I need to replenish my bankroll! Concerning the "deep and fairly quiet", I'm down with it... I'm 47.

Sarah, no idea. Good luck and if we ever meet, no hand shakes or hugs!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Larry, that sounds AWESOME. Since I'm even older than you, maybe I need that one as well. Any comments when you were researching on the drone factor? I don't mind a bit of drone, but it gets on my daughter's nerves when she has to ride in the backseat.
I currently have a folder on my desktop of all youtube videos of various exhausts. So far the one you just linked to is my favorite, hope it's not out of the park expensive.
Annette

Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
sarah it may be best if you post in a more specific forum and start your own thread. If you want to send me a PM with the year of your MINI I'll be happy to point you in the right direction to find the answer.
It will also help if you fill in your location in your user profile then people can recommend MINI service folks in your area.
Annette

Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
So far the one you just linked to is my favorite, hope it's not out of the park expensive.
Annette
'

i really like that ehaust too wut is the price on that thing?
my choice would be betweeen magnaflow and that

Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Drone is going to be an issue with any system, but luckily, every MINI I have ridden in with an exhaust had drone at RPMs higher than cruising range on the highway.

I am stuck between a custom Magnaflow...this one actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFYf...&tracker=False
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2GK...&tracker=False

Or, saving up for a Quicksilver.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSamdpzfpZk
Here is a local Tarheel person with a quicksilver...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_syPxk59N0

Last edited by Laardilla21; 03-09-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Annette, I spent the past two weeks at work reading and listening to videos of exhausts before choosing the NM Engineering. I LOVE music and have the IPOD interface on my HK system. I also suffer from hearing loss from being stupid as a teenager and listening to a "walkman" (wow Im old) while mowing grass for summers. Combine that with owning a Harley with pipes for a few years, and you can see I'm past my Loud Muffler phase...lol

I decided on the NM based on its lower, deeper sound and reports of minimal drone. ALL mufflers will drone a bit if you are cruising the highway in 6th gear and start to go up a grade, so I am told. The most perfect muffler is the JCW from what I gather. I was going to consider a JCW stage 1 kit and be done with it, however it will cost $2600 in 2011. yess it gives you the badges and a ECU tune, but all I want is the sound and a little more low end torque.

The NM muffler is supposed to sound real low and mellow while you are cruising around below 4,000 rpms. If you nail the gas it will open up and make people notice. Thats what I wanted.

So for $1200 I am going with a NM cat back ($800 from outmotoring.com) and a Defenders of Speed intake ($320). I also looked at a lot of intakes and I want to be able to get performance, but not too loud. The DoS intake I ordered can have a butterfly valve "silencer" installed before shipping as an option. This butterfly stays closed below 3500RPMS so the intake sounds almost like stock, but still breathes better. However, if I stomp the gas it opens the valve and you can hear the turbo suck and blow

If I need to make it even more quiet for a long trip they offer a Plug to install and baffle the air intake. THat plug makes it almost as quiet as stock.

Hope this helps in anyones buying decisions.

Last edited by Whistler NC; 03-10-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Yes, it does! Thanks. I also love that you can get if from outmotoring, any business I can do with them is great with me.
I had the Alta CAI on my '06 and loved it, most especially the sound. I don't quite understand the intake and turbo thing. I've had people tell me most emphatically you can't do an intake on the turbo MINI just the supercharger. And then been told the opposite.
I can do the exhaust now and add an intake later if I want, right? I'm not sure I need to spend another $500(with install) right now, but had put the exhaust in my budget from the get go.
Annette

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
You can do the intake on both! If you do it with the turbo, you can hear the turbo spool up and blow off really well. I got mine for that exact reason! My DDM Street Intake only costs me $190 and I got free shipping from Aaron at OutMotoring for it!

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...et_intake.html

Old 03-09-2011, 06:34 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Laardilla21, that was the one I was just looking into . Great price.
Annette

Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Awesome! The pic on their site is not that good. Here is the intake on my car!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jahorsley/5513927698/

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Looks like it's a foam filter now.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
I second Laardillas post about the DDM Intake. It is a good system.

Annette, your turbo will benefit from a new intake,just like a super charged engine would.

From what my service MGR and all the posts say, I would avoid any system that uses a foam/oil filter. the Mass Air Flow sensor is easily contaminated and the oil seems to be the culprit.

Annette, we are arriving at about Noon on thursday at MOTD..where can we find you so we can meet and I introduce you to my wife?

Larry

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
They show a foam one, but they sent me a K&N filter. I have not had any issues with my oiled filter, but I also use MAF cleaner on my sensor. It is an awesome cheap mod. You can also buy the completely open hood scoop insert from minifini. It comes in chrome, but you can spray it black. It lets in a ton more air.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini15235
I second Laardillas post about the DDM Intake. It is a good system.

Annette, your turbo will benefit from a new intake,just like a super charged engine would.

From what my service MGR and all the posts say, I would avoid any system that uses a foam/oil filter. the Mass Air Flow sensor is easily contaminated and the oil seems to be the culprit.

Annette, we are arriving at about Noon on thursday at MOTD..where can we find you so we can meet and I introduce you to my wife?

Larry
I don't have one yet, but after all my research, I'm going to go DOS CAI. The only problem with this and almost all of the aftermarket CAI's is that the use K&N or foam filters that need to be oiled. If I'm wrong about that please let me know.

Laardilla, do you run an open scoop? I would worry about too much ash and trash getting in the engine compartment. I've thought about using a Dremel to open a few more holes in mine though.

Last edited by Melangell; 03-09-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
These should fit on just fine, as well.....

http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm

They are side branch of K&N and require no oil....I am definitely upgrading to one of these soon....They are on Amazon for about $50...

I wanted to go with the DoS, but did not want to cut a hole in the bulkhead or buy the seperate bulkhead replacement panel...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Cool! Thanks. Do you run an open scoop? I would worry about too much ash and trash getting in the engine compartment. I've thought about using a Dremel to open a few more holes in mine though.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I have the stock insert still. I am getting the minifini one soon though. My engine bay gets so dirty with the one I have, I figured it could not get any worst....haha...

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=60

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Melangell,

Here is our pic so you can find us...look for the Chili Red 2011 with tint...and the punky blonde wife that is the life of the party

Attached Thumbnails New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!-beerfest-couple.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini15235

Larry
Larry, at noon Thursday I will either be in the mods area(Aesthetic Creations graphics followed by MINIfini tow link system), or I will be volunteering at check in again. Let's PM a before hand, I should know for sure what time slot I'm getting at the registration by then.
Annette

Quick Reply: New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!