1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning on being there around noonish as well. I have not looked over the vendors coming, but MINIfini will be there? Sweet! I can get my scoop insert then. I am sure they will have some on hand.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Hey all,

On the hood scoop intake, there is a post on one of these forums that shows that the intakes that swap out the false hood scoop for a "real" one are not doing a whole lot. Wind tunnel tests have shown that there is a natural positive pressure area formed just below the windshield on every car out there, including the MINI.

DoS has found a way to tap into this staic flow of air with their system. Yess you do need to drill a hole in the plastic bulkhead, but it gets your intake vented to a good source of fresh air that has positive pressure. I also like the way you can adjust the volume in the cabin with their plugs.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"time slot", Annette? It's going to be my first Dragon... am I missing something? What are the time slots for?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
The time slots are for volunteers. I have manned the registration desk in the past and usually they give you a time you need to be there to help out. It changes every year though, so I'm not setting any plans in stone as of yet. But I decided since my car was going to be out of commission getting multiple installs that was a good day to volunteer.
Annette

Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Oh, oki doki... Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Wait so how much drone does the magnaflow have?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Just doing more research. The Defenders of Speed site doesn't list a physical address but they have a 404 area code so that's a North GA exchange. I see on their site that you can buy a bulkhead with the hole already drilled so you can use that and keep your stock piece undamaged. I wonder if they'll do an install and why aren't they a vendor at the Dragon? It would be much easier for ME .
I'm liking that DoS one more and more.
Are you guys counting out the NM intake because of the price?
http://www.nm-eng.com/254/11/0/1449/...ction-kit.html

Last edited by BoCRon; 03-09-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: about 20 typos!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Are you guys counting out the NM intake because of the price?
Nope, just because of the nature of the beast. The DoS CAI seems more of an actual cold air intake, sucking air from outside the engine compartment. The NM intake is sitting right there in the middle of it... and its heat. I've read all the arguments defending intakes like NM's but still think the DoS intake will deliver cooler air, especially under heavy load and at speed. The DDM Works R56 Race Intake System (RIS)

http://www.ddmworks.com/mini/cooper_...ngine/ris.html

shows promise as it draws air from the scoop via a ram-air type set up to a closed box containing the filter. I wonder if the heat from the turbo won't warm the captive air coming from the scoop though, negating the cold air effect. As I said somewhere above, I don't have one yet and I am most definitely not an expert. I just read more than I probably should (no life). If I do go for a CAI, it will be a DoS unless something demonstrably better comes out. I won't have any problem drilling a hole in the firewall.

Editor's note: The above comments may be the ravings of an unknowing idiot. Exercise extreme caution!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Annette, I just sent an email to Clint at DoS asking where they are at. I'll let you know.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Melangell
Annette, I just sent an email to Clint at DoS asking where they are at. I'll let you know.
Hi guys,

The 404 area code is a remnant of when I lived in Atlanta. (Grad school at Georgia Tech doing my Masters in Product Development (Master of Industrial Design). I now live out in San Francisco with my lovely wife (who I also met in Atlanta).

Anyone interested should feel free to drop me a PM or email if you're interested in finding out more info about your questions above. . (. . or to convince me that I should make the trek out to the Dragon this year. It's just a long haul. I was not planning on trekking out East this year, but it may be do-able.)

Best,

-Clint

Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
I guess I should apologize that what started out as an Intro thread has evolved into a "How to Mod" thread....

Annette, the instructions for the install of the DoS intake seem very easy. I am sure if you got the loaner drill from Clint OR bought this pre-drilled bulkhead (to preserve factory one) that someone at MOTD could find 30 min to put it on. I will be doing mine next week and if I don't screw it up I can do it for you

I'm glad your finding my advice helpful, but bear in mind I have only been a MINI owner 2 weeks....I have based most of my info on hundreds of posts and also calling manufactures and talking to two local speed shops.

That being said, the DoS intake in its raw form is louder than most, and from what I understand you hear a lot of the turbo and hiss in the cabin. This is awesome if you WANT it, but it can get annoying I bet in a hurry if your not used to it. I know you and I are a little older, or more experienced should I say and may not find the noise as pleasant as some of the more "race" oriented guys and gals.

I'm getting the DoS with butterfly valve to start out and will go from there.

Its raining here in NC so its a good day to park in the garage, turn on the radio and try out my new Prima' Bannana Gloss wax and Black Wow

Larry

Last edited by Whistler NC; 03-10-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I'm thinking the DoS intake is the way to go for me, too. Like y'all said, if it can be adjusted as far as sound goes than that's a HUGE selling point for me. I totally loved the whine from my Alta CAI in my '06, but I'm thinking the turbo won't sound the same.
If we can't talk Clint into coming out(SFO IS a long way away) then I may take you up on the install help at the Dragon. We have at least 20 hole saws here, so that's not an issue although I couldn't find on the site what size is needed.
I'm about to pull the trigger on the NM exhaust, but will try to resist until after I actually have my MINI.
Annette

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 AM
MiniStruck
Neutral
Welcome and congrats!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
I'm thinking the DoS intake is the way to go for me, too. Like y'all said, if it can be adjusted as far as sound goes than that's a HUGE selling point for me. I totally loved the whine from my Alta CAI in my '06, but I'm thinking the turbo won't sound the same.
If we can't talk Clint into coming out(SFO IS a long way away) then I may take you up on the install help at the Dragon. We have at least 20 hole saws here, so that's not an issue although I couldn't find on the site what size is needed.
I'm about to pull the trigger on the NM exhaust, but will try to resist until after I actually have my MINI.
Annette
Hole saw size needed is 4 1/4" (108 mm) and is available at Lowes for sure and possibly at Home Depot as well. Can't remember the cost but somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 bucks or slightly more.. Hopes this helps

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
I really like the DoS CAI. Luckily, because our cars are turbos, you really cannot hear it doing the hissing and whatnot all the time. Well, mine does bc I am always on the gas to get it to do it. When people cut me off i rush up beside them and then get off the gass and the car blows off right next to them. It is my car's way of saying WTF.....

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Here you guys go....

I kind of wish I had waited now and got the DoS....

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-ddmworks.html

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Larry, I'm an inch away from pulling the DoS CAI trigger. If you are willing, I'd love for you to install mine. Hell, I could even throw a few $ at you for the effort, or at least a couple Moon River brews! Maybe you, me and Annette can get together for a little install party. If not I going to see if Way will do it at the same time they install my WMW Perf. B/O valve.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
Melengell, I would be glad to help with installing your intake, however I won't have the required hole saw. I ordered my DoS intake and he is lending me the "company" saw and I mail it back after I use it.

If you find the required hole saw I am sure we will have some down time up there and can get it installed. I wouldn't need any money, just good conversation and company while we do it.

Let me install mine next week and I will have a better idea of how easy it is.

On another note.....Does anyone know what color is the "+" positve wire on the rear LED Third Brake light bar? I am going to install the pulsar unit and dont know if the "hot" is the yellow or brown. I think it is the yellow......anyone?

Larry

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Annette, do you guys have a 4 1/4 in (108mm) hole saw? If not, hopefully DoS will have a loaner. They give 30 days to return it. Larry, I'll wait until you get yours in to make my decision and thanks for the offer to help. I'm really looking forward to the end of April.

Oh, no idea about the wires.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
Yellow is power and the brown in the ground wire.....

It was yellow when we did my fog/brake light install the other day...

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I'm sure we do, we have about a dozen, all the way up to a 7 inch I believe.
I'll check out which I have and let y'all know. I'll bring it to the Dragon.
Annette

Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Annette, Larry has offered to help me install if I show up with a DoS CAI. Have you decided whether you are going to get one. Perhaps we can have a wee install party.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Whistler NC
2nd Gear
It rained all day here in NC, so I put my MINI in the Morton building and gave her a waxing. The Prima' "Bananna Gloss" was the easiest wax I have ever used. It went on like baby lotion and wiped off in a single swipe with a microfiber cloth. I went over all the black trim with Black WOW and it looks amazing.

Wait until you see the pics tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Melangell, I will have mine and will bring it to the Dragon. An install party would be fun. We have a cabin we are getting by the NOC, we can do there if it works out. We'll figure out by then. Maybe we can do an install and cook out at the cabin if no one has booked a drive or anything for Thursday afternoon.
Annette

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Larry, you and I seem to have similar car care ideas. I love Banana Gloss and BW. Between major waxes I use Hydro. I hate this time of year though. I just washed The Dread Pirate yesterday and walked out this morning and he was covered with pollen!!!

Anyway, are you up for a install party and possible cookout at Annette's cabin Thursday afternoon?

Quick Reply: New 2011 MCS Owner...going to Minis on the Dragon in MAY!!