1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Kid on the block 65YO KID

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM
mightymini2011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Kid on the block 65YO KID

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. First and foremost, I'm a car buff and have been since I was a kid, probably just like at least 80% of you.
I have held many jobs and I am now retired. I sold firearms and had my own store with a business partner that screwed me royally. I have been and still am a pro photographer with a long list of credits to my name.
All that being said, I'm still a car guy and will be til the end of my days.

I just got a 2011 Cooper in interchange yellow with a black roof and interior. I've started to black out all the chrome and I do have rally stripes from the bonnet to the boot, in black. I'd like to find some yellow to put on the roof to continue the look I'm trying to achieve.

I do most of my own work and enjoy spirited driving so my ride will be tuned and modded out when I can find the parts that I need to make it quicker than most Coopers out there. My wife has an 08 that she bought new. That prompted me to get one. I traded a beautiful Crossfire roadster in aero blue pearlcoat in on the Cooper. Built by Mercedes and had pleanty of oomph when I sold her to the dealer or rather traded her in. Speed is in my blood.

Hope to join in on some discussions shortly. For now, I'm mightymini2011, signing off.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Trust me you wont miss the Crossfire for long.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM

Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
P.s. pics are required

Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!
We have a 'Born in the 40's & 50's thread here.
You can relive those days of the past and all the great cars that are gone into the history books.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM and congrats on the IY! (Love that color, almost ordered it myself) The IY looks really hot all blacked out, can't wait to see what you do with yours.
I do like the Crossfires, a neighbor has one and it always catches my eye. A lot of people don't like the Chrysler products but I bought a PT Cruiser the first year and still have it. It is now my son's car that he is driving back and forth to college. It has been very reliable for almost 10years! I'm currently debating whether to sell it and get my son an '06 MCS, but it has been so sturdy I hate to part with it.
Looking forward to your progress,
Annette

Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM
minics07
2nd Gear
Welcome!!! I'm new to the mini world. I have always been a truck guy.when I got my mini on thursday.. Now I'm hooked!!! Can't wait to see some pics.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Welcome to NAM and congrats on the IY! (Love that color, almost ordered it myself) The IY looks really hot all blacked out, can't wait to see what you do with yours.
I do like the Crossfires, a neighbor has one and it always catches my eye. A lot of people don't like the Chrysler products but I bought a PT Cruiser the first year and still have it. It is now my son's car that he is driving back and forth to college. It has been very reliable for almost 10years! I'm currently debating whether to sell it and get my son an '06 MCS, but it has been so sturdy I hate to part with it.
Looking forward to your progress,
Annette
you cant part with a pt cruiser?? y do you like that car it has such a akaward build to it

Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
you cant part with a pt cruiser?? y do you like that car it has such a akaward build to it
Not that I need to defend my reasons, when someone else pays for my cars then I'll care what they think, but here goes.
There are quite a few reasons I'm still fond of my PT. It reminds me of the old Chrysler Airflow, a car way ahead of it's time back in the day. (The Airflow was the first full-size American production car to use streamlining as a basis for building a sleeker automobile, one less susceptible to air resistance)

It is a 10 year old car that has had NO repairs, just oil changes, tires, brakes and a new battery. Hard not to like that.
When I bought it my kids were 5 and 9 years old. It was a great car to take kids in, not a big minivan or SUV. I could haul the kids and their gear with no issues.
It's a great car for my son now that he's in college. He can fold the back flat, it has an adjustable shelf to make one level, plus room underneath. He can take his gear and his friends on the 2+ hour ride to school very nicely, and it is a VERY comfortable car for a long trip(better than my MINI in that regard).
It is safe at his school, not something people mess with, and small enough that it doesn't get dinged up on a college campus. The trucks and SUVs don't fit very well in the old parking areas on campus.
I met a lot of great people in the old PT Cruiser's club here in Atlanta. They were all just nice people, of varying ages, who liked to hang out, drive to fun locales and enjoy good friends. No egos in that group, just good natured folks who were having fun with their car. Pretty similar to the MINI people in that regard.
Annette

Last edited by BoCRon; 03-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Not that I need to defend my reasons, when someone else pays for my cars then I'll care what they think, but here goes.
There are quite a few reasons I'm still fond of my PT. It reminds me of the old Chrysler Airflow, a car way ahead of it's time back in the day. (The Airflow was the first full-size American production car to use streamlining as a basis for building a sleeker automobile, one less susceptible to air resistance)

It is a 10 year old car that has had NO repairs, just oil changes, tires, brakes and a new battery. Hard not to like that.
When I bought it my kids were 5 and 9 years old. It was a great car to take kids in, not a big minivan or SUV. I could haul the kids and their gear with no issues.
It's a great car for my son now that he's in college. He can fold the back flat, it has an adjustable shelf to make one level, plus room underneath. He can take his gear and his friends on the 2+ hour ride to school very nicely, and it is a VERY comfortable car for a long trip(better than my MINI in that regard).
It is safe at his school, not something people mess with, and small enough that it doesn't get dinged up on a college campus. The trucks and SUVs don't fit very well in the old parking areas on campus.
I met a lot of great people in the old PT Cruiser's club here in Atlanta. They were all just nice people, of varying ages, who liked to hang out, drive to fun locales and enjoy good friends. No egos in that group, just good natured folks who were having fun with their car. Pretty similar to the MINI people in that regard.
Annette
I never noticed that it looks like the old mob cars.. It would actually be really cool if you threw a body kit on the pt to give it a old fashion look.. And I respect your reasoning for keeping your pt now even though my opinion doesn't matter

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sigh.....

Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Sigh.....
smh

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new MINI! Love that you are a two MINI family.