1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 2006!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just picked up my 2006!

After spending the past month driving back and forth from Colorado Springs to Denver, test driving MINI's, I finally found the one I've been looking for. Oddly enough, it's the one car in Colorado Springs I kept overlooking due to the high miles. After dropping by last night to check it out, I found it to be the nicest compared to lower miles/newer vehicles I drove. The car is solid and could not find a single dent on it

Specs:
2006 MINI Cooper S (completely stock)
79k miles
6speed manual
Red with back roof
HK Sound System

So here's the deal, I was originally looking at paying anywhere between $17k to $24k for a MINI and paid much less than my $17k starting price So that leaves me with a decent amount of change to play with. I'm looking to put together a comprehensive list of maintenance and modification package at around $3k budget that I intend to start dumping into the car within the next few months. Give me your thoughts on what I have on my list so far and maybe throw some ideas on areas I have blank (especially on maintenance) as well better deals on price elsewhere from where I'm currently looking to source the parts. One thing to keep in mind, this car will purely be a weekend car for me. I work from home and do very little driving during the week and I also have a 2010 Jeep Commander for utility.

Looks
1. Aero Grill Kit
2. Offset Racing Stripe Kit

Tools
1. Cooper S Belt Tensioner Tool
2. Deluxe Supercharger Pulley Removal Tool
3. Belt Tensioner Stop

Engine Performance
1. Cravenspeed Supercharger Pulley
2. Alta V2 CAI
3. Exhaust - I'm debating on whether to even replace my exhaust. I've had some pretty loud exhaust in the past and feel like I've outgrown that. Is there a huge performance benefit for MINI's?
4. Motor Mounts - Should I replace given the miles?

Suspension
1. VMAXX Coilovers Not sure how the MINI community feels about VMAXX coilovers but other communities seem to frown on them although I can tell you from experience with my previous VW that it worked great for me. However, feel free to share the MINI communities experience and thoughts on this and maybe recommend something else.
2. Adjustable Sway Bar - Any recommendations?
3. M7 Strut bar with defenders
4. Control arms? Is this needed?
5. End Links? Is this needed?
6. Bushings - at 80k miles, what bushings should I look at replacing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to NAM!
Let the madness begin!
Sounds like you have already been bitten by the modification bug.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Joe A
Neutral
Congratulations on your new to you MINI! I just picked up a 2006 yesterday. Drove home 400 miles and fell in love with it. Weather yesterday was mild and reasonably dry. Today's ride was through 10" of slushy snow. Guess I couldn't expect to keep it clean forever.

Have fun with your mods!

Joe

Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Some stuff

Originally Posted by Evasive
After spending the past month driving back and forth from Colorado Springs to Denver, test driving MINI's, I finally found the one I've been looking for. Oddly enough, it's the one car in Colorado Springs I kept overlooking due to the high miles. After dropping by last night to check it out, I found it to be the nicest compared to lower miles/newer vehicles I drove. The car is solid and could not find a single dent on it

Specs:
2006 MINI Cooper S (completely stock)
79k miles
6speed manual
Red with back roof
HK Sound System

So here's the deal, I was originally looking at paying anywhere between $17k to $24k for a MINI and paid much less than my $17k starting price So that leaves me with a decent amount of change to play with. I'm looking to put together a comprehensive list of maintenance and modification package at around $3k budget that I intend to start dumping into the car within the next few months. Give me your thoughts on what I have on my list so far and maybe throw some ideas on areas I have blank (especially on maintenance) as well better deals on price elsewhere from where I'm currently looking to source the parts. One thing to keep in mind, this car will purely be a weekend car for me. I work from home and do very little driving during the week and I also have a 2010 Jeep Commander for utility.

Looks
1. Aero Grill Kit
2. Offset Racing Stripe Kit

Tools
1. Cooper S Belt Tensioner Tool
2. Deluxe Supercharger Pulley Removal Tool
3. Belt Tensioner Stop

Engine Performance
1. Cravenspeed Supercharger Pulley
Also add a new belt and plugs
2. Alta V2 CAI
In terms of sound and price Alta and DDM/M7 are choice.
3. Exhaust - I'm debating on whether to even replace my exhaust. I've had some pretty loud exhaust in the past and feel like I've outgrown that. Is there a huge performance benefit for MINI's?
Not really a HP benefit, try a One-Ball mod.
4. Motor Mounts - Should I replace given the miles?
If needed, check to see if there's a greasy leak.

Suspension
1. VMAXX Coilovers Not sure how the MINI community feels about VMAXX coilovers but other communities seem to frown on them although I can tell you from experience with my previous VW that it worked great for me. However, feel free to share the MINI communities experience and thoughts on this and maybe recommend something else.
I would not get these in any situation, If $ was scarce I would rather get KONI Sport kit rather than uber cheap sub par coil-overs. Otherwise, I would get a good quality set of KW, AST, Bilstein type coil-over. Although, if just putt-putting around, just want to go low, or want to say "I got coil-overs," I guess they're ok then (as I bite my tongue)
2. Adjustable Sway Bar - Any recommendations?
I like Hotchkiss RSB, but Eibach, Alta and Whiteline all make a good RSB.
3. M7 Strut bar with defender
Good to somewhat protect strut towers, hammer tower flat before install.
4. Control arms? Is this needed?
No, not really needed for putt-putting to work or car meets, better suited for track days or canyon carving. Good alignment is all you need.
5. End Links? Is this needed?
^same as above^
6. Bushings - at 80k miles, what bushings should I look at replacing?
These tend to go bad Front Lower Control Arm bushing, I prefer Powerflex.
Thanks in advance!
Some comments.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Thanks for the info!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one-ball mod will save you some precious weight while not making the exhaust a lot louder.
Tires/wheels are another place to lose weight and gain in the handling dept.
Welcome!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
There is actually a HP gain in changing the (complete) exhaust, up to 7-8HP.

I would recommend changing the tires from run flat to better ones. And while you're at it: Change the rear sway bar

Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
First step would really be getting the preventative maintenance out of the way before any mods, depending on the maintenance records for your car. That way you can start fresh and not have to worry about the more mundane maintenance and you can focus on your mods.

Oil change, cabin air filter, fuel filter (under the rear seat) etc. you know the deal.

Good luck with your mods and drive safe!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
First step would really be getting the preventative maintenance out of the way before any mods, depending on the maintenance records for your car. That way you can start fresh and not have to worry about the more mundane maintenance and you can focus on your mods.

Oil change, cabin air filter, fuel filter (under the rear seat) etc. you know the deal.

Good luck with your mods and drive safe!
Agreed. I actually found some leaks this morning The oil is leaking from the oil filter canister as well as coolant from the driver side. I'm guessing that the thermostat gasket is bad. I went ahead and ordered an OEM oil filter to replace the o-ring and will address the thermostat issue this summer once I get access to a garage, so long as the leak doesn't get bad enough.

I'll change the filters and spark plugs next then go full force on modifications this summer once the car is in absolute tip-top shape. I'm getting itchy though and want to hit the order button on all the power and suspension mods ASAP

Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Once I am completely finished with all my maintenance that I will be able to have a complete peace of mind.

But I know how you are feeling! I don't really need any more mods on mine but the cleaning OCD has kicked in...I think I spent close to $200 on detailing products. I might literally be able to eat off the bonnet soon...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Evasive
Agreed. I actually found some leaks this morning The oil is leaking from the oil filter canister as well as coolant from the driver side. I'm guessing that the thermostat gasket is bad. I went ahead and ordered an OEM oil filter to replace the o-ring and will address the thermostat issue this summer once I get access to a garage, so long as the leak doesn't get bad enough.

I'll change the filters and spark plugs next then go full force on modifications this summer once the car is in absolute tip-top shape. I'm getting itchy though and want to hit the order button on all the power and suspension mods ASAP
deff go get a overall maintenance inspection before anything then after that go wild.. cant wait to see wut your minis gonna look like after the 3 grand

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
I think the general rule of thumb with 1st gens is replace all engine mounts/bushings at 75k. id reccomend powerflex bushings, a tsw passenger side lower upper (confusing) mount, and a bsh lower engine mount. As for bushings, if it were me, i'd just buy the mini-madness bushing kit, its about 400 bucks, and includes every bushing on the car, all poly bushings. as for the v-maxx, a guy i drive with a lot from my local club has them on his 05, and he loves them. the only reason i have decided to go for the megan racing coilovers is that they come with adjustable camber plates and have the adjustable dampening. To me, the megan are a better value, but the v-maxx are fine, nothing wrong with them, as long as you're not gonna be a track nut or run super hot in the canyons. rear strut bar, ive got an eibach being delivered to me this week. the cheapest bar available as far as i know, it is supposed to be a fine bar. control arms/endlinks depends on if you want to dump the car or not. its probably a good idea if you go with coilovers, but i dont think its as neccisary on the later year 1st gens, due to those having built in camber adjustability from factory (unless im mistaken?). I'd say start off with a pulley, RSB, and CAI. then see where you want to go after that. maybe add engine mounts to the list, depends on how you'rs are looking.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Have you called Way at Way Motor Works?

He'll be able to provide you with some very good advice based on your budget and wish list.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Have you called Way at Way Motor Works?

He'll be able to provide you with some very good advice based on your budget and wish list.

Not yet but I'll definitely that keep in mind. So far I've placed my order from outmotoring.com but I do have plenty more to purchase the next few months. Hope to have her completed by MITM here in Colorado.