1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI owner with disappointing water leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
moonsuan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI owner with disappointing water leak

I have only had my 2010 MINI Clubman for ~5 months and have experienced a miserable water leak. I went to my car after a long slow rain to find water flooding through the rear-view mirror onto and into the dash. The key did not work, the radio and all electric components fried. Had to have car towed to dealership. Dealership told me my sunroof drains were clogged with MUD. ????? I live in the city and drive to and from work every day. I cover it as often as I can but do not have the luxury of a garage or carport. I wash it regularly and had never ever had this happen. The dealership told me this is a known issue and that it is DESIGNED to back up through the rear view mirror when the sunroof drains clog. They said that this was an ENVIRONMENTAL cause and that is was not a manufacturer's issue and that I would have to claim it on my insurance. Does anyone else see this as a problem and what do I do? I have been without it now 2.5 weeks while they take it apart and go back and forth with my insurance agency estimating the damage.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something is very fishy...

I smell a fish. A 5 month old MINI that has mud plugging the sunroof drains. MINIs are designed to leak from their rear view mirrors. Amazing stuff that. Quite unbelievable...

Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
tccox
4th Gear
TOTAL Bullcrap......Get a lawyer....

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
This is absurd. I agree get a lawyer if needed and fight it. Do you open your sunroof often? Where do you supposed the "mud" came from?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Yeah, that's a bunch of crap! I'd make the argument that how could a ~5 month old car accumulate that much "mud" in the sunroof tray...especially when you live in the city and wash it like you said. AND leaking through the rear view mirror? I don't understand how that even makes sense!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM
zappafan
Neutral
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
Yeah, that's a bunch of crap! I'd make the argument that how could a ~5 month old car accumulate that much "mud" in the sunroof tray...
I think the mud would have blocked the bottom end of the drains, not the top. I think the sunroof drains run down each A pillar and exit behind the front wheels. If they have blocked from below it's a crap design but that could explain the water level rising until it spills out inside the car (having that occur over the mirror/dash is another crap design feature imho).

Hope it gets sorted soon.

EDIT:
I've looked here (http://www.bmminiparts.com/DiagramVi...809&MOSP=50626) and it shows 2 front and 2 rear drain pipes from the sunroof frame.

Last edited by zappafan; 03-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
moonsuan
Neutral
Thank you so much for your reply. You make very good points and I sooooo much appreciate the diagram. I actually got some advice from the attorney general friend today – I will follow up as the issue rolls on. As each day passes I get more and more disenchanted with MINI. :-(