1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, First post,

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
welawson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, First post,

Hello All,
I'm a new member, who actually joined way back in 2003, and I'm the proud owner of a 2003 Mini Cooper.She has quite a bit of miles on her now and I'm in the process of trying to prolong her life. Her suspension is shot and Ive been addressing it as much as possible, but now I have to do alot more. I've been hearing a knocking/rattling type of sound in my front end. I have no idea what it could be. A year ago I upgraded the suspension with a set or Blistein Coilovers. I Also changed the front bushings with Powerflex Control Arm Bushings an the steering rack bushing with Powerflex.

Before that the dealer going me for a bundle, to change the motor mounts, strut mounts and and rear bushing. With all that done in less that two years she is driving even worse. I'm actually taking her in to see what the noise could be. It's gotten progressively worse over the last couple of weeks to the point where I'm afraid to drive her because I think something might come completely loose. I just hope I didn't receive shotty work form the people that did the work. The pot holes hear have been killers the past two winters
so, they may have taken their toll.

I've since ordered a pair of Hilex Cambers, Hsport Rear Adjustable Controls,and a set of Alta V2 Adjustable front sway bar end links,
because the blisteins did lower the suspension some and I read that the adjustable control arms and end links would help. I'm desperately awaiting their arrival, but I can't wait any longer to find out what's going on.

I know that's a lot of information, but if anyone has had any experience with this kind of issue please let me know what was found to be the cause, and what was the remedy.

Thanks

welawson

Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome welawson!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome n congrats tooo

Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 PM
welawson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found the problem.

Thanks everyone!

Well, I have good news and bad news.
Good News: The guys at Tyrolsports found the problem/s.

The Bad news: They discovered a bad driver side axle, bad left and right side lower ball joints, bad differential seal and a bad power steering reservoir. Now at least I know what I'm dealing with.

welawson