1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Lamps HELP Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Mum's Mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Lamps HELP Please

Good Morning New Friends,

Yesterday I took delivery of my "new" (to me) 2002 Mini. I have wanted this little beast for years and I am proud and happy to be driving it around San Diego. Here's my problem.... I had to go out early this morning and discovered that the tail lamps are not working. Now here is where I have no idea what I am talking about...... I thought maybe it was a fuse problem as they are both out. The indicator brake lights both work.

I wonder if anyone know which fuse it is that controls the tail lamps. I found a list of the fuse locations but cannot see tail lamps on the list. Also if anyone knows what else it might be, I will check the bulbs today too, please let me know.

Please respond to wisdomail@gmail.com

Thanks very much,
Mum

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question, but wanted to suggest you also post a similar question in either the Gen1 Coupe Talk or Gen 1 Modifications/Electrical section. You may find an answer if you search those threads as well.
Good luck, sorry you're getting started like this, but should be an easy fix.
Also, you might want to add your location to your user profile so people can see where you are. Then you may get suggestions for local MINI mechanics that can help you with parts or install.
Annette

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
there is no sep' fuse for the tail lamps, they are controlled thru the general control unit - which is fused as a unit. Since some of the functions of the GCU appear to be working like the side lamps and headlights it is a good place to start with the bulbs themselves. Your tail/brake lights are dual filament bulbs of 21/5 watts with a bayonet mount.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Note that using the 'thread tools' button on the upper right, NAM will send you an email notification of any replies. Just sending an email to you might help you, but it won't help the next person who has the same issue.

As said before, check the bulbs. Another po$$iblity is a faulty BCM (Body Control Module), the computer that manages the electrical functions.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too much analysis/complication?--go for the obvious

How about just guessing that both bulbs are burned out? After all they are 9 + years old most likely and have been on for thousands of hours--beyond useful life. Don't fool w/ fuses or anything else until you check/replace a few dollars worth of old bulbs.

Hopefully simple as that.