1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Buying Mini Tomarrow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM
swopey
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Buying Mini Tomarrow?

hello, this is my first post in here but I am looking to buy a 2005 Mini cooper S with the JCW and NAV packages, Im wondering what to look for when i go buy it. I have heard alot of issues with the clutch which he said he did replace the clutch and flywheel about 6k ago it now has 66k on it. he also replaced the front struts but otherwise is stock. it is light blue with black strips and the premium 17" factory wheels. he was asking 14300 and kbb says private party value is 16500+ He was willing to go down to 12700! I wanna know what you guys think about this and what should i look for or expect to be wrong/clean/dirty how to tell if its a factory JCW MCS? please as much help as possible! thanks
Caleb

Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
05-06 usually fare better. Check out guide to buying MINI Cooper: http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds promising but personally I'd have it looked over by a MINI mechanic before the purchase, if for nothing more than peace of mind. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
swopey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
05-06 usually fare better. Check out guide to buying MINI Cooper: http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/
Awesome guide! thanks i think im making the right choice. It gave me alot that i wouldnt have known otherwise. Im pretty mechanically inclined and my dad is going with me but have a MINI mechanic check it over wouldnt be a bad idea.
Im heading out in the morning to go check it out
So far im going to look for rust/leaks, coolant leaks, and oil leaks around crank?
anyone tell me distinct differences between the JCW and MCS for the 2005 year, the things that would have only been done at the factory, logos, badges, trim, vin # ect thanks again guys

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
swopey
2nd Gear

so this is the mini that im looking at in the morning, said it was a factory jcw package, factory wheels, and factory nav. any tale tale signs that it is or is not factory?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swopey, some things to look for:

The valve cover should have a JCW badge rather than the standard MINI badge. The exhaust tips will have JCW logos etched into them... here's a few more visual cues:

1. Looking at the rear, the JCW exhaust has too silver oval shaped mufflers, just visible below the rear bumper line.
2. The air intake box has a JCW logo and a distinctive shape with a wire and a vacuum hose connected to it on the back to power a little flap.
3. JCW badges front & rear
4. I believe the fuel injectors are blue instead of white, but they're tough to see.

Anyways, good luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
swopey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
swopey, some things to look for:

The valve cover should have a JCW badge rather than the standard MINI badge. The exhaust tips will have JCW logos etched into them... here's a few more visual cues:

1. Looking at the rear, the JCW exhaust has too silver oval shaped mufflers, just visible below the rear bumper line.
2. The air intake box has a JCW logo and a distinctive shape with a wire and a vacuum hose connected to it on the back to power a little flap.
3. JCW badges front & rear
4. I believe the fuel injectors are blue instead of white, but they're tough to see.

Anyways, good luck!
Thanks again, I have heard about some of these but was reading that they are dealer installed and for instance the factory JCW does not have the JCW logo on the tip just the dealer version!

Heading out in an hour, any more clues would be nice as i would like to know what im buying, i will be checking here on the way and will keep you all updated with what happens!
soooo excited

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Just a heads up.
Lift up weather strip in door panels.
Water just loves to collect there.