1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear; 1st Post.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gear; 1st Post.

Hey all.

New to MINIs and this forum, though I've been lurking about while making my purchasing decision. Placed my order in early March for a Countryman S All4 in Royal Grey with all the options I wanted, especially the Getrag 6-speed (hence the avatar).

I've done my time on car forums from NASIOC (no longer active, though I had a WRX for several years) to 6speed (had a Porsche for awhile, and a Maserati too) to Ferrarichat (spent enough time there to know better than to own one, but I still love being around them, and this is the only car forum I actively post at). Figured I could add this one to the short list, so I just registered today.

I'm a total car nut... worked for a car mag, been to most of the major concours events in the US - Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, Cavallino, and a few in Europe, done SEMA, done NAIAS, done Barrett-Jackson, Gooding, RM, Kruse and Christie's, driven everything from a Ferrari TR to a Hemi Cuda convertible (yep, a real one). Been mentioned by name on Jalopnik. Have a photo I took on the cover of a collector car book, etc. I'll be helping out with the car exhibit at the Portland Art Museum called the Allure of the Automobile this summer, and if I find a solid local community, may be inclined to host MINIcentric events at my 5 acre lakefront getaway out in the twisties, in the hills outside of PDX.

My MINIs name is Stirling, after the greatest driver ever (Senna and Schumacher and the like have too many safety nets and aids to be (or have been) on the same level IMHO. Moss was a huge Cooper fan (and one of John Cooper's first customers at just 18) and I'm a huge Moss fan (see attached sig pic with me, Moss, and #722 300 SLR at Laguna Seca in '05) so the name for this oh-so British ride was an easy choice.

Speaking of names, my name is Tad. And I'll be around.

Cheers,
Tad

Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Not sure why the sig pic I added in User CP didn't show up, but I know from experience that some other forums require ten posts, or some other such token number, to be able to post pics or before images show...

That's 2/10... but I promise I won't postwhore my way to greatness here.

Cheers,
Tad

Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
Welcome brother, and I join you in high regard for Sir Stirling.

Happy motoring.

Charlie

Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome, sounds like a fun way to work. Now enjoy the great community of friends and drivers known as NAM. I think you will enjoy your stay and the people even more.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Tad
Welcome to NAM
Got see Stirling race at Sebring in the late 50's.
I did 15 book reports on "All But My Life".
You are among friends.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM and Congrats on the CM! We just got our CM (our third MINI) about 3 weeks ago and love it so far.
I'm looking forward to your insights on the brand and the community once you've had a chance to hang around a bit. Hopefully you'll enjoy your time here and stay awhile, most do .
I don't think there is a waiting period to post pics here, but that may have changed since I first joined back in the day. Most people host their pics offsite (I use photobucket) then use the handy dandy pic posting icon.

Again, Welcome!
Annette

Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 AM
robinj
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sir Stirling
My MINIs name is Stirling, after the greatest driver ever (Senna and Schumacher and the like have too many safety nets and aids to be (or have been) on the same level IMHO. Moss was a huge Cooper fan (and one of John Cooper's first customers at just 18) and I'm a huge Moss fan (see attached sig pic with me, Moss, and #722 300 SLR at Laguna Seca in '05) so the name for this oh-so British ride was an easy choice.

Speaking of names, my name is Tad. And I'll be around.

Cheers,
Tad

I saw the "Sir Sterling" and clicked on the thread to see if it was about Moss, heh.
Welcome to the addiction.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
the Moss trophy

the SCCA New England Region awards a beautiful silver trophy that was donated by Sir Stirling's sister to the best autocross driver of the year

it must be a great honor to host that on the mantle for a year... Sir Sterling won it originally.

it is suitably difficult to win too - "The Moss" as it is called is an event within an event, open only to the class champions from the season. the formula for winning it weighs absolute speed (by PAX) from morning runs, but it weighs standard deviation from the best morning run during the three afternoon runs.

accordingly one must be damned fast, but also very consistent at that pace

a tough test, and it places a suitably high value on the prize

but I digress...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome! Interesting intro!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Well, thanks for all your 'Hello's' and welcomes!

I'm pleased to see that more than a few here have heard of Stirling Moss... I must be among automotive enthusiasts here!

I'm looking forward to delivery of my All4, and in the interim, will be learning all I can from your experiences.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and best wishes to all,

Cheers,
Tad

PS- Still haven't figured out why my attached picture isn't appearing, but again, suspect it may after 10 or so... hmmm...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I remember the 1st year, 1966, of the old CanAm Group 7 series.
Stirling was the host/presenter for Simonize Wax who was a sponsor of series.
It was really cool to see him give the 66 champion, John Surtees, the trophy.
The last time I saw Sir Stirling was at Laguna Seca for the Mercedes Benz event.
I consider Sir Stirling as the last of the pre war drivers who really made a difference in motor sports.
The style and type of driving was so different then.
You were a driver, not a button pusher.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Tad!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Vollgas
I remember the 1st year, 1966, of the old CanAm Group 7 series.
Stirling was the host/presenter for Simonize Wax who was a sponsor of series.
It was really cool to see him give the 66 champion, John Surtees, the trophy.
The last time I saw Sir Stirling was at Laguna Seca for the Mercedes Benz event.
I consider Sir Stirling as the last of the pre war drivers who really made a difference in motor sports.
The style and type of driving was so different then.
You were a driver, not a button pusher.
Your memory is a bit longer than mine (lol) but I'm jealous you got to experience the Can-Ams in anger, which I've only seen in historic events (though I did get to meet Denny Hulme - RIP - when he was driving the old orange McLaren at Road America in the early 90s). And you're absolutely right about that last line.

Originally Posted by *Ghost*
Welcome Tad!
Thanks... and BTW I'm jealous of where you live... was there last fall, and wish I could figure out a way to move there!

Cheers,
Tad