1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do next...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:11 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
CAI, rear sway bar, and coil overs are performance enhancements that are not visible to the onlookers...

CAI is a cold air intake, which changes the plumbing used to bring air into the engine - usually pulling the air from a location where it has not been heated by proximity to the hot bits under the hood. (edit: oh sorry! bonnet)

rear sway bar is a replacement for a suspension component you have now - it's usually just beefier, and has the effect of making the car lean less around corners

coil overs are replacement parts too - in this case you are taking the springs and shock absorbers that came with the car and substituting alternatives that also have the effect of reducing lean

all great changes, and very popular but none will gild that lily from an appearance perspective

thanks for the tip on the badge, and again - nice ride!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyCoCoMini
What are coil covers? I did lower my car with springs... the wheel gap is TINY!!! I'm new to car talk... but I guess I dont really know what coils are lol
Coilovers are a matched spring and shock that have an adjustable spring seat. This allows you to dial in whatever ride height you want for the car. Usually the shocks are adjustable as well which allows you to adjust not only how stiff the ride is but the handling characteristics of the car as well by extension of the damping adjustments. Honestly, unless you are planning on tracking the car or are unhappy with the current suspension setup, I'd skip them as they are likely going to be overkill for your uses, way more expensive for too little return (in your case), and probably stiffen up your car's ride way more than you would probably like.

Originally Posted by LuvMyCoCoMini
Wish I knew what those were.... and where they go! HA
CAI is a cold air intake, usualy gives a small bump in power and gives the car a nice growl on hard acceleration and with this car will likely allow you to hear the turbo spool much better than with the stock airbox (by itself is more of a sound mod with this car from what I gather, though can show gains when paired with other stuff).

Rear swaybar is a part of the rear suspension that acts to limit independent motion of the rear suspension components thereby reducing body roll in hard cornering and dialing out some of the understeer inherent in FWD cars. Understeer is the tendency of the front wheels to slide when entering a turn aggressively, ie you turn the wheel, the tires screech and you keep going more or less straight. Unless you are a seriously spirited motorer, or are planning on tracking it I wouldn't recomend it. I've found that the stock suspension on this car is quite competent, and am a big proponent of the "tighten the nut behind the wheel first" school of thought (in other words improve the driver before improving the car, this usually results in a much better driver and better sorted car in the end than simply throwing mods at a car to attempt to make up for a lack of talent/skill).

Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got it! (I think.) It's going to take some custom work though.

Get a Cravenspeed tow hook, have the powder coat bead blasted off, have someone polish the $#!# out of it, then have a graphic's company make a screen print of your lepard pattern to stick on the face.

It would be a nice subtitle touch that is a compliment to everything your car has going on.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
LuvMyCoCoMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niiiiiiiice