1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New kid in the block!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
marcos28
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New kid in the block!

Hello all! I'm new in NAM; Tucson, AZ, resident. I just bought a 2005 MiniC for my soon-to-be college freshman daughter. Car mileage is at 48,790; previous owner bought it from Florida. When I first saw the car in the car sale lot, I was not really sure about getting it; but when I test drove it...I know I have to get IT! Didn't really have a chance to inspect the engine since it was raining (yes it rains in AZ once in awhile he, he). I have a few questions to get me off at right direction here. HOPE I can get help.

1) Radiator water reservoir is way low/empty and have a bluish liquid in it. Question: can I just refill it with regular 50/50 water coolant?

2) When I bought it, the next maintenance log showing on the speedometer panel was saying '10000' miles. But now after driving it barely for 50 miles...Tachometer has 'Service Engine Very Soon' light just turned on this morning. Is it panic time for me now? Nearest authorized Mini Cooper service shop is at least 110 to 130 miles away (in Scottsdale, AZ).

3) Only got one key (with remote functions). Just need a spare key to open and start engine in case initial key is lost or misplaced. Does anyone know if there's any drawback in getting just regular key?

HOPE to hear for some one from NAM...and assist me. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. General rule with coolants - never mix colors. Don't put yellow coolant in it if it has blue. You can order the right coolant at www.waymotorworks.com. I'm concerned why your reservoir though. Your reservoir could be leaking which should be evident by all the white stuff around the reservoir or the thermostat might be leaking. The thermostat is only around $50 which again can be purchased from waymotorworks and is a fairly simple install so long as you can handle a wrench.

2. Is the 10000 a negative number or is it flashing?

3. It's expensive to get another remote key so it's entirely up to you. It would be good to have a spare key though even if it doesn't have the remote function.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
marcos28
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks...to Evasive

1) No visible leak; looked and wipe around reservoir tank...didn't see any at all. Btw I called the Mini service shop in Phoenix and was recommended/advised to bring the car in for a check. Told to just put plain water in the tank and watch temp gauge when I drive it around 100 to 110 miles.

2) Next service reading in Speedometer when initially turn the key does NOT have a '-' by it. It just reads 9950. And Service Engine Very Soon light on Tachometer is not flashing. According to Mini service rep...its the service engine warning; said something is wrong with the engine. AND I need to bring the car in so he can do the diagnosis (yikes!)
--I have a CAR MD gadget; it's a mini/portable diagnosis thing that can be plugged into the auto's computer to see what's wrong (for engine light on). Have you done this OR recommend to use the CAR MD thing?

3) Ordered the spare key too! Wow...costs $80+ just for the a plain regular key. But that's okay cause I know its needed.

Hit me again with answers/concerns...if able. Thanks.