1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clubman vs Clubman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
IGOTGAS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman vs Clubman S

I am in the market for a MINI Clubman,,,,just not sure if I should go with the standard Clubman or the Clubman Sport.....This will be my daily driver and I am looking for a fun ride to work. I am not into racing or spending unnecessary money on maintenance. I am looking for the most reliable combination. Any info regarding pros and cons of the sport are appreciated. New to this site and loving the info and photos.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by IGOTGAS
I am in the market for a MINI Clubman,,,,just not sure if I should go with the standard Clubman or the Clubman Sport.....This will be my daily driver and I am looking for a fun ride to work. I am not into racing or spending unnecessary money on maintenance. I am looking for the most reliable combination. Any info regarding pros and cons of the sport are appreciated. New to this site and loving the info and photos.
I would not buy less than an S model.
May not need the power but there when you do want to use it.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
I haven't heard of differences in maintenance between S and non-S, so maybe other people can chime in.

If you want a fun ride to work, get the S. I don't race as well. I'll use my Clubman to drive to work or weekend driving. But I definitely want to have the power when I need it. Can I get by with a non-S, the answer is yes. But would I enjoy the S model more, the answer is YES!

Have you test drive the S and non-S models? Assuming initial car purchase is not an issue, you should drive these two models and see what you like.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:14 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Nothing like the turbo to help you merge into highway traffic from the on ramp. I had a JustCooper Clubman auto for a loaner one time and while the acceleration was adequate, I knew that for me it would never suffice. You really need to drive both and decide for yourself.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
I am looking for the most reliable combination.
If we could ignore that sentence, then the "S" would be a consideration. If you're serious about reliability, then you should know that the "S" doesn't win.

Realize that a significant percentage of our posters are enthusiasts and would consider nothing less than the thrills offered by the turbo and are prepared to pay for the cost.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Our 2009 MCC has adequate power for normal driving, great handling, and has had zero problems in 28,000 miles. It would be a great commuter. That said, our 2011 MCS arrives next week We will be keeping the MCC

Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grgramps
If we could ignore that sentence, then the "S" would be a consideration. If you're serious about reliability, then you should know that the "S" doesn't win.

Realize that a significant percentage of our posters are enthusiasts and would consider nothing less than the thrills offered by the turbo and are prepared to pay for the cost.
I'd agree; one could assume that a naturally-aspirated engine has less moving parts, and therefore less to go wrong. Using that logic, it would point you toward the Cooper.

If you care not about spirited driving, then get the Cooper.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
I traded in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2010 Mini Clubman. I first test drove a couple of S's and really found I couldn't handle the power (having come from a big ole SUV).

Drove the Justa, and was way more comfortable with it. It definitely has way more pep than my Jeep, and the "sport" button gets me close to the fun of driving the S. I commute to work on some great twisty back roads and am having a blast in my baby!!

Getting over 37mpg presently and LOVE the handling!!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Also some colors are available only one or the other. (Eclipes Gray=S only. If you are dead set on a color make sure it come that model you want.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Reliability? Cooper wins, like gramps said.

And you can have plenty of fun in a Cooper. I've driven my stock Cooper a lot harder than most people drive their Cooper S's at places like Road Atlanta and Sebring Raceway.

My suggestion, like others have said, is drive both, then buy the one that YOU like.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 AM
zeiker
2nd Gear
I purchased a Clubby S a couple months ago. Formerly owned a '09 Justa.

When test driving, the added weight of the Clubby over the Justa was very noticable and taxed the non-turbo engine pretty hard, IMO.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM
mbu
4th Gear
I am in the market for a MINI Clubman,,,,just not sure if I should go with the standard Clubman or the Clubman Sport........
Take a test drive in both.... you'll have the answer pretty quickly!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
IGOTGAS
Neutral
Great input! Thank you. Have there been any significant issues with the turbo models over the non-turbos? I am looking at the Pepper White. Love the look of the withe with limo tinted windows and blacked out emblems. It just works! Leaning toward the turbo for obvious reasons. Just want to be through and find out if there are any signifigant issues I should know about before I buy. Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
IGOTGAS
Neutral
Also: Looking to buy a GPS for work and play,,,any suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
mbu
4th Gear
... Looking to buy a GPS for work and play... any suggestions...
If you go with a Garmin, get a model that you can Plug the new ecoRoute HD dongle into your car’s onboard computer, and receive immediate and accurate diagnostic reports via Bluetooth. This also gives one some gauges that don't come with the mini!

Check it out here...

http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/index.html