1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering...Coopers + sport suspension..???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
isellputs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering...Coopers + sport suspension..???

does this make sense? will i even know a difference? I read that the S already has a sport suspension so will adding this $500 option be EXTRA firmness in addition to the MCS?

im a bit confused here and every dealer i talk to keeps saying sport pakage and they seem to not have a car with sport suspension in stock for me to drive.

please help me clarify this...thanks!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I don't think dealers order many with sport suspension on their own. I think the factory sport suspension is just a bit firmer; not enough to satisfy those who want a serious suspension for autocross and track.

There have been several threads addressing your question. Use the Search feature and type in "sports suspension." A lot of threads will pop up, but several will have the term in the thread title.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you'd be better off spending $200 aftermarket and getting a good 19mm rear sway bar, which is going to be stiffer than the one that comes with the Sports Suspension, which I believe is 17mm.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
isellputs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I don't think dealers order many with sport suspension on their own. I think the factory sport suspension is just a bit firmer; not enough to satisfy those who want a serious suspension for autocross and track.

There have been several threads addressing your question. Use the Search feature and type in "sports suspension." A lot of threads will pop up, but several will have the term in the thread title.

apologize for the repost. i did do a search and nothing came up...ill try it with the "s" after sport

Nope, nothing came up...i did get a bunch of threads but after skimming the titles, they dont seem all that related..

Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I think you'd be better off spending $200 aftermarket and getting a good 19mm rear sway bar, which is going to be stiffer than the one that comes with the Sports Suspension, which I believe is 17mm.
But would void your warranty??

Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by darthhen
But would void your warranty??

It is extremely unlikely. I can't categorically say no because I have not read the details of the warranty, but they would have to prove the mod caused any problem. It's a very safe modification and I personally would not worry about it effecting the warranty.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
It is extremely unlikely. I can't categorically say no because I have not read the details of the warranty, but they would have to prove the mod caused any problem. It's a very safe modification and I personally would not worry about it effecting the warranty.
Thanks. Something for me consider after I get a good feel of the car. Also, since it comes with run flats, I probably want to get rid of those first before I do any type of suspension mods to it....

Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by isellputs
does this make sense? will i even know a difference? I read that the S already has a sport suspension so will adding this $500 option be EXTRA firmness in addition to the MCS?

im a bit confused here and every dealer i talk to keeps saying sport pakage and they seem to not have a car with sport suspension in stock for me to drive.

please help me clarify this...thanks!
I don't know where you read that a Cooper S version of any MINI model has a sport suspension. Sport suspension is the 500 package you have to add. I'm happy right now with by regulary suspension. I will eventually change out my runflats to get a little better handling.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I ordered the optional sport suspension on my 2007 MCSm and my 2009 MCCm; also on my 2011 MCSm that's coming this week. I enjoy a firm, flat, controlled sports car ride, and the option provides it. Some of my passengers have not liked it so much as I do, however It is noticeably harder than the standard suspension.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttuhzbmcs
I don't know where you read that a Cooper S version of any MINI model has a sport suspension. Sport suspension is the 500 package you have to add. I'm happy right now with by regulary suspension. I will eventually change out my runflats to get a little better handling.
The Cooper S stock has a stiffer rear sway bar and different springs than the Cooper, correct?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
nykwan
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Cooper S stock has a stiffer rear sway bar and different springs than the Cooper, correct?
No. The MC, MCS, and JCW all come with the exact same standard suspension.
You can upgrade to the $500 sports suspension, or upgrade to the dealer installed JCW suspension.