1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Purpleipod
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with a few questions.

Hi! I'm Natalie. I do not currently own a MINI but intend on buying one within the next year or so. If anyone is able to answer a few questions I have, I'd really appreciate it.

- Has anyone ever had problems with their sunroof leaking or the drains stopping up? This happens a lot with my current car and I was curious if it was much of a problem with the MINI Cooper S.

- Would it be a smart idea to add the extended warranty (3 extra years/100,000 miles for I believe $1795)? I have been warned that MINI's are expensive to repair but I'd like some first hand experience opinions.

- I've done some research on the leather interior used in MINI's and the general consensus was it is not very high quality, and for the price you are better to just stick with the standard leatherette upholstery, any thoughts?

If anyone has any insight it'd be very helpful! Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Natalie,

You should probably use the "search" and you will find out the answers to all your questions. In general, leaking sunroof or stopped up drains have been reported in the past but not to a large degree I believe.

Regarding the extended warranty, I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. And how much risk you want to take. I dont think you need to buy the warranty the day you buy the car. You can add the extened warranty anytime while the car is under the original warranty. Your Mini Sales Advisor can better explain this but I think I summed it up correctly.

Some people are very happy with the Leather, some feel its not worth the additional cost.

I have an 09 MINI. No issues, no problems. But only 14,000 miles. I have the leatherette. Again I would advise you to search on things like "leatherette or Leather" and other inquiries to pull up threads addressing your questions.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
I read in one of the posts that the extended warranty prices vary a lot by dealers, so be sure to call around.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
swopey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Finner
Natalie,

You should probably use the "search" and you will find out the answers to all your questions. In general, leaking sunroof or stopped up drains have been reported in the past but not to a large degree I believe.

Regarding the extended warranty, I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. And how much risk you want to take. I dont think you need to buy the warranty the day you buy the car. You can add the extened warranty anytime while the car is under the original warranty. Your Mini Sales Advisor can better explain this but I think I summed it up correctly.

Some people are very happy with the Leather, some feel its not worth the additional cost.

I have an 09 MINI. No issues, no problems. But only 14,000 miles. I have the leatherette. Again I would advise you to search on things like "leatherette or Leather" and other inquiries to pull up threads addressing your questions.
+1

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, welcome to NAM.
The search functions are not perfect and it does take time to get used to them on the site.

To my knowledge, sunroof leakage happens no more often than other makes. You always run the risk of leaks when there is a hole in your roof. I have had NO problem with mine but would not order it again due to the weight and the fact you can not close it completely off unless you get an aftermarket shade. It gets hot in the summer sun.

You are correct about the cost of repairs on a MINI. It is all about risk and how much it is worth to you. My '07 is about to go off warrantee and I am considering purchasing a plan, but boy is that a lot of $$$.

Leather vs Leatherette.... this is a very personal decision. If you love leather, get it. I have the leatherette and have enjoyed it and think it looks great. I'd spend the $$ elsewhere..... (new wheels! The OEM wheels are heavy.)

These are just my opinions. This is your chance to build the car of your dreams. DO IT!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
darthhen
4th Gear
For your seating choice, leather vs. leatherette, have you been to the dealer and sat in the different choices? For some reason, I find that not all the leather choices Mini has to offer has the same feel. Some is softer.

Personally, I don't like leather or leatherette. I got cloth. Yes, cloth seats. All of my friends says I'm crazy for getting cloth seats on a nice car.