1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings Fellow Mini Fanatics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
BondJamesBond
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings Fellow Mini Fanatics!

Hi Everyone!

Crashed my 2000 Toyota Camry a couple months ago and at 6'7" tall have had a terrible time finding a car that worked for me...until I discovered the Mini Cooper Clubman! I figured as long as I'm going to be making monthly payments anyways I may as well spring for a brand spanking new car! This is my first time buying a new one.

I'm still in negotiations with my MA over price and features so thought I would come in here and get some feedback from those who might happen upon my post.

Name: Dragon

Design: 2011 MCS Clubman Automatic Transmission and JCW Strut Brace

Exterior: British Racing Green II Body and Roof with JCW Spoiler and White Racing Stripes, Chrome Bonnet Scoop and Driving Lights, Union Jack Side Scuttles, Black Jack Sun Roof Graphic, "Let's go Motoring" License plate Frame, and Union Jack tire air valve caps.

Interior: Leather/Cloth Polar Beige Seats and Color Line, Armrest, and Chrome Line Interior. Piano Black Dash/Door Ring.

Now that we have the build, on to the questions!

Can someone explain to me better what the JCW strut brace does? I added it because I have heard MINI's can rattle quite a bit and according to the description on the build configurator I thought it might help with that? Is it a waste of money?

There is a Dynamic Traction Control option for $250 that says it turns off the DSC features...what else does it do? Is it worth it? What would make it worth it? If I don't get it it means DSC will be on all the time, which I have read is an incredible safety feature, but how much is the car going to drive me rather than me drive it?

Is it possible to order my car with regular instead of run-flats or will I have to wait until they wear out to get normal ones?

Can someone please explain to me the differences I will encounter between performance tires and all season? I live in SF so the weather is mild by most standard but it does rain quite a bit over the course of the year.

A couple design questions:

On the press releass I found all of them talked about MINI "design world" recommendations with three palates: Classic, Rally, and Scene...but I can't for the life of me find out where these palates are located...a little help?

Is it true that the Interior has ambient colored lighting effects? My dealerships close early so I haven't driven one at night, but this sounds cool..I love ambient lounge lighting.

Lastly, I don't have an iPod or oPhone, being an Android user. I take it this means MINI Connected would be a waste of valuable dollars. True? False?

Thanks for reading my intro and any insight you can offer. There is a promotion on the 15th called Rock the Rivals where I can get another $1000 off the price and my MA is going to get me a further discount on top of that. I'll likely finalize my order on the 15th and then it's 6-8 weeks til I'll be mooring out there alongside of you!

I am SO excited to take my friends out cruising up the coast on Hwy 1. I'm sure after I get my car I'll want to join the local community of MINI enthusiasts...after my test drive with the S I had the biggest S#!^-eating grin on my face and realized a car can be more than just a means of conveyance...it makes me want to get out of the house and go explore the world in a way I've never felt before.

Hooray!

Last edited by BondJamesBond; 05-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
sumint
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BondJamesBond
Can someone explain to me better what the JCW strut brace does? I added it because I have heard MINI's can rattle quite a bit and according to the description on the build configurator I thought it might help with that? Is it a waste of money?
Not too sure on this one but if you search "rear sway bar" on this site you will see that this is considered to be one of the best performance/handling mods aftermarket, and would probably be similar in price to this front JCW strut brace...really not sure that a JCW SB would do much of anything for rattles IMO

There is a Dynamic Traction Control option for $250 that says it turns off the DSC features...what else does it do? Is it worth it? What would make it worth it? If I don't get it it means DSC will be on all the time, which I have read is an incredible safety feature, but how much is the car going to drive me rather than me drive it?
Get it...you will never be able to retrofit (in any reasonable $$$ way). I believe it also in includes an electronic LSD...IMO a great performance option for the price and its only $250

Is it possible to order my car with regular instead of run-flats or will I have to wait until they wear out to get normal ones?
No. Only can do non-runflats on 15" and those are only on Non-S from what I understand. Just swap out RF for Non-RF from day one. You could easily sell those new RF on here or craigslist for the price of replacement non-RF

Can someone please explain to me the differences I will encounter between performance tires and all season? I live in SF so the weather is mild by most standard but it does rain quite a bit over the course of the year.
I'm in So Cal (used to live in Albany, CA), and for the "most" part all seasons are for cold/snow like conditions --> dry weather. They don't excel in any season, but do most decently. For SF Bay area do the summer performance tires. Only need winter or all season if your going to go into the snow.

Is it true that the Interior has ambient colored lighting effects? My dealerships close early so I haven't driven one at night, but this sounds cool..I love ambient lounge lighting.
Yes they do have these...you can control color and brightness.

Lastly, I don't have an iPod or oPhone, being an Android user. I take it this means MINI Connected would be a waste of valuable dollars. True? False?
True and False. I too have an EVO 4g and decided against this option. However you do get the screen to control all of the onboard computer functions in an easier/larger display & some like the looks of the speedo with the screen vs. w/o. I'm sure they will add android functionality sometime, but that may be 1 month or 10 years, who knows.

Thanks for reading my intro and any insight you can offer. There is a promotion on the 15th called Rock the Rivals where I can get another $1000 off the price and my MA is going to get me a further discount on top of that. I'll likely finalize my order on the 15th and then it's 6-8 weeks til I'll be mooring out there alongside of you!
Check with your MA that you can use this on a special order and get it in writing. PS - Pleasonton is a Costco dealer, so you can see what kind of discounts they have as well.

after my test drive with the S I had the biggest S#!^-eating grin on my face
Those are the EXACT same words I used to explain to friends my test drive experience, with the addition of, "...it was like being a kid in a candy store again".

Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
BondJamesBond
Neutral
Not too sure on this one but if you search "rear sway bar" on this site you will see that this is considered to be one of the best performance/handling mods aftermarket, and would probably be similar in price to this front JCW strut brace...really not sure that a JCW SB would do much of anything for rattles IMO
OK I did the search and decided to remove the strut. If I feel the need later I can go for a RSB.

Get it...you will never be able to retrofit (in any reasonable $$$ way). I believe it also in includes an electronic LSD...IMO a great performance option for the price and its only $250
It doesn't come with an LSD but some other kind of EDLC, which I've read is an odd choice. Can someone explain what this does better for me? I'm realy not a gearhead (my last car was a Camry... ) I'll take your advice and get the DTC option tho.

No. Only can do non-runflats on 15" and those are only on Non-S from what I understand. Just swap out RF for Non-RF from day one. You could easily sell those new RF on here or craigslist for the price of replacement non-RF

I'm in So Cal (used to live in Albany, CA), and for the "most" part all seasons are for cold/snow like conditions --> dry weather. They don't excel in any season, but do most decently. For SF Bay area do the summer performance tires. Only need winter or all season if your going to go into the snow.
Got it.

Yes they do have these...you can control color and brightness.
Sweet!

True and False. I too have an EVO 4g and decided against this option. However you do get the screen to control all of the onboard computer functions in an easier/larger display & some like the looks of the speedo with the screen vs. w/o. I'm sure they will add android functionality sometime, but that may be 1 month or 10 years, who knows.
I had read that MINI did some research and determined that the majority of MINI buyers used Apple tech. I'm not going to hold my breath for an Android version. Having said that I do love the look of the console...so high tech! BUt...it's another grand I don't have. I'd have to sacrifice my cloth/leather polar beige interior if I wanted the nifty screen...tough decisions! GRR!

Check with your MA that you can use this on a special order and get it in writing. PS - Pleasonton is a Costco dealer, so you can see what kind of discounts they have as well.
I asked my MA today and he said it would have to be delivered by the end of June...however the ad on the website said if you buy within 60 days from signing up at the event (on the 15th) MINI gives you the 1K off. SO that's a conflict of information...if it takes 2 months to get here but I'm only eligible when I sign up 45 days before I'm screwed.

Anyone have any more advice for dealing with my MA/dealer to get the best price? I've heard horror stories...

BTW I went to MINI of Concord because Jason Krupa the salesman there had a sterling rep on Yelp. Meanwhile SF MINI and East Bay MINI both have AWFUL reviews on Yelp. Going into a car dealership is scary! I got ripped off when I bought my Camry (first car) and so am MCH more wary about dealer double-talk now.

Those are the EXACT same words I used to explain to friends my test drive experience, with the addition of, "...it was like being a kid in a candy store again".
Yeah I drove a non S right after and, while not bad by normal car standards, it felt like it was dragging ***! S is more expensive and holds it's value less (greater wear with a turbocharger) but damn...the fun experiences I'll have and the expression on my jealous friend's faces will make it worth it!