1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi all! Researching and Learning

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all! Researching and Learning

Hi!

I've been shopping around for a crossover for the past 6 month and was pretty much settled on an Audi Q5 (#1) or BMW X3 (#2) - then I went to the auto show in town.

Met the Countryman having never heard of it before and it intrigued me! Everything in it was so different from other cars I've owned (2 in the past 20 years), just was uncertain about the amount of room it had for me, kids and stuff (the car at the auto show had a dead battery so the lid wouldn't open to allow me to evaluate).

Anyway, the kids and I went to the dealer in town yesterday to grab a brochure (they were completely out just like at the auto show). The kids crawled around and loved their 'own' seats idea (buckets vs. bench) and it had about as much room as the trunk of my current car.

I decided to take one for a spin having never driven or ridden in a MINI before. It was incredibly FUN! I can't ever recall driving anything on public roads that literally made me smile from ear to ear (aside from my motorcycle)!! It was a blast. When we returned the car, my 4YO daughter refused to get back in my car we came in and insisted we bring the MINI home. I felt the same way and my 7YO son giggled and raved throughout the test drive.

The only hurdle at this point is the wife who's convinced that a MINI's too small, so for that reason, this test drive was to (as my wife put it) "get it out of my system". I think that strategy backfired on her. I showed her pics of the countryman and she liked the looks having not seen it before and is willing to test drive it - maybe there's a chance! So far it's 3 in favor and 1 to be convinced... so if you've got ideas to convince her, I'm open to those (maybe she just needs to drive one!)

So that's what brings me here. To read on others experiences with their MINIs, how it works with young kids growing & if it works long term, mechanical/maintenance issues, fit/finish issues, run flat tire performance (wife's got'em on the minivan and I HATE them - might be a deal breaker) and long term performance. I tend to keep cars ~10 years and have heard about MINI reliability issues. I'll be lurking and learning and may be able to chime in on areas I'm familiar with.

So that's my long winded "nice to meet you'. Looking forward to digging in and after it's all said and done and a decision's been made, I think I'm fortunate to end up in any of these 3 finalists!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
yvette2
1st Gear
take her there and have her drive it. you might end up taking home 2

Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Embav8r
2nd Gear
Same thing happened to us. I went to the auto show with my wife and 6 YO son to look at the 2011 mustangs and we all fell in love with the minis. We ended up getting a Cooper hardtop as our second car, since our family vehicle is a 2004 Honda CR-V. We love it so far.

I think your wife needs to go down to the dealership and drive one! I like the look of the countryman, but haven't driven one yet.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Thanks for the welcome!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 AM
zeiker
2nd Gear
I have a 2, 4, and 7 YO. They all fit nice in a Clubman. Note that the Clubman, while less room than a Countryman, should fit the bill for you. Put the 4 YO behind the driver, the 7 YO behind the passenger and you or the Mrs in the passenger seat. Does not have four doors, but has a 3rd suicide door (that works great for kids access - good for adults) and you will have more zip and zing than a Countryman (and, most likely, significantly less $$$).

Just another option for your consideration. If you do go the Clubman route, give serious consideration to the S. (which is what I went with, FWIW).

Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Sammer
2nd Gear
Welcome to the MINI addiction.
Judging by the two crossovers you were looking at the MINI isn't too far different as far as price, reliability (if you go with the non S version) and cargo capacity. It's a little smaller but you could probably put a cargo carrier on the top when needed. The MINI would certainly be more unique and lots of fun to drive.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
darthhen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
So that's what brings me here. To read on others experiences with their MINIs, how it works with young kids growing & if it works long term, mechanical/maintenance issues, fit/finish issues, run flat tire performance (wife's got'em on the minivan and I HATE them - might be a deal breaker) and long term performance. I tend to keep cars ~10 years and have heard about MINI reliability issues. I'll be lurking and learning and may be able to chime in on areas I'm familiar with.

So that's my long winded "nice to meet you'. Looking forward to digging in and after it's all said and done and a decision's been made, I think I'm fortunate to end up in any of these 3 finalists!
I can't really offer my experiences on Mini since I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. But as for convincing your other half....
  1. Let her get behind the wheel of one. Make sure she drives the S model
  2. Get your kids to lobby for you
  3. Tell you kids to show your wife their sad faces if they are to ride in something other than a Countryman
  4. Show her your sad face so it'll make her feel guilty
  5. Talk about the Countryman, all day, all night, at breakfast, at dinner, mid-day phone calls, till it drives her nuts
  6. Show her a bunch of pictures of how room it is
  7. Repeat steps 2 through 5 above, rigorously till she gives in

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darthhen
I can't really offer my experiences on Mini since I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. But as for convincing your other half....
  1. Let her get behind the wheel of one. Make sure she drives the S model
  2. Get your kids to lobby for you
  3. Tell you kids to show your wife their sad faces if they are to ride in something other than a Countryman
  4. Show her your sad face so it'll make her feel guilty
  5. Talk about the Countryman, all day, all night, at breakfast, at dinner, mid-day phone calls, till it drives her nuts
  6. Show her a bunch of pictures of how room it is
  7. Repeat steps 2 through 5 above, rigorously till she gives in
Thanks for the tips! I laughed out loud with the sad face comments! I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
@Sammer - I had the same thought on the roof carrier. It's rare that I would need it looking back on my driving the past few years. plus mileage is more attractive.

@seiner - thanks for the suggestion! I think I personally like the chunkier Countryman, but may look into the option you brought up. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Minis are a car that people need to sit in to see how much room there actually is in the car. Have her sit in the front and rear seats of the Countryman. I was surprised at the amount of room in the rear.

As already suggested, I would test drive an S. You can later decide if 2 more MPG is worth buying a non-S. Not in my opinion.

Minis are unique cars.

Minis do have their share of minor problems that are usually resolved under warranty. Long term reliability seems pretty good. Sounds like you are near a dealership so maybe not a big deal but if you break down away from a dealer it can be a pain because they are not many Mini dealerships for warranty repairs so your car will be towed to the nearest dealer. I happen to live 120 miles from the Mini dealership so I know it can be a pain. I have done some of my own warranty repairs because it was easier than going to the dealership.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Embav8r
2nd Gear
Not just the MPG's. The S is going to run you about $3000 more. Definately a factor for some of us.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
So it's been a week and I haven't pestered the wife about the car at all. Last night she tells me that if it's really what I want, to go ahead and get the MINI. She didn't event test drive it, but did see pictures!!

I think I'd still like her take one out.

Been emailing dealers back and forth and it sounds like some options I'd like are no longer being offered until Japan supply chains recover from the disaster (connected w/ & w/o Nav and auto trans).

So now I guess I'll need to fish around the country to see if I can find what I really want, wait till next year when supply and prices settle out or go back to my other finalists. Bummer.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM
darthhen
4th Gear
That's good news!!!!

Better act on it before she changes her mind.