1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Mini Owner in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Stangace20
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st time Mini Owner in 1st gear

hey all,

the intro message said I should stop by here, so let my introduce my self a bit. I'm a first time mini owner in San Diego,CA. Just got my Mini a few days ago, it's 2006 Checkmate Edition Mini (w/ the base 115HP engine) and I have to say it's a big change to what I'm used to (which is mainly V6 Mustangs) so I'm having to learn/change my driving habits a bit of course to deal w/ the smaller engine and less power.

And while it's not very noticeable in the city, It's a bit hairy right now when I try and get on the freeway sometimes (especially on an uphill onramp) since the auto is of course a bit slow, and I'm used to at least having a bit more/quicker power on the low end.

But since my mini comes w/ the tiptronic I'm working hard to learn how to do that properly, since this is the first car I've had w/ that feature and also since I've heard mini's don't your normal transmission when it comes to gear changes or something.

But so far I have to say one thing I am loving besides the better MPG (which is mainly why I bought the car) is the fact that minis corner so much better than what I'm used to.It's great not having to hit the brakes very much (if at all) when coming into a decent corner at 50 or so and practically breezing through it.

So anyway I'll hopefully get the hang of driving it properly sooner or later, but so far, and for the most part, I like it.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Minis have brakes????

Welcome, and keep paddling that thing...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangace20
hey all,

the intro message said I should stop by here, so let my introduce my self a bit. I'm a first time mini owner in San Diego,CA. Just got my Mini a few days ago, it's 2006 Checkmate Edition Mini (w/ the base 115HP engine) and I have to say it's a big change to what I'm used to (which is mainly V6 Mustangs) so I'm having to learn/change my driving habits a bit of course to deal w/ the smaller engine and less power.

And while it's not very noticeable in the city, It's a bit hairy right now when I try and get on the freeway sometimes (especially on an uphill onramp) since the auto is of course a bit slow, and I'm used to at least having a bit more/quicker power on the low end.

But since my mini comes w/ the tiptronic I'm working hard to learn how to do that properly, since this is the first car I've had w/ that feature and also since I've heard mini's don't your normal transmission when it comes to gear changes or something.

But so far I have to say one thing I am loving besides the better MPG (which is mainly why I bought the car) is the fact that minis corner so much better than what I'm used to.It's great not having to hit the brakes very much (if at all) when coming into a decent corner at 50 or so and practically breezing through it.

So anyway I'll hopefully get the hang of driving it properly sooner or later, but so far, and for the most part, I like it.

Welcome!

I also came from a car with a lot more hp. Car was pretty much the same weight as the Mini but had about 300hp. My Mini is a 2011 and has 120hp so I gave up a lot of hp but I've found that I've adapted quite well to it and in city driving it's really not noticeable. It's obviously not as easy to pass on single lane highways but I've found that it's not too difficult.

After a few weeks I think you'll get used to it and will adapt just fine. btw, mine is also automatic and I really like the steptronic tranny.

By any chance does yours have sport mode?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangace20
hey all,

I love the "Checkmate Edition" but didn't know you could get them in the base model since I have only ever seen Checkmates in the supercharged "S" configuration. Love to see some pictures.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM
yvette2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome!! I'm in San Diego too!!!