1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help.stinky mini

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 PM
cmom
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help.stinky mini

Hi, my daughters 03 mini developed a flood in the passenger seatwell which I guess may be from a blocked sunroof drain. But even though we dried things as best we could, the car stinks especially in the heating system. Should I take it to a dealer to get it overhauled or somewhere else. She is not using the car because she is in law school in a major city. So we have time to fix her first car and love.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I wouldn't take it to the dealer...if they even did offer to do something they would just outsource it to some detailer and overcharge you.

Best thing is probably to find a local, reputable car detailing shop and have them go at it.

If that doesn't work, roll down all the windows and just drive the heck out of it. It won't get the smell out but it'll put a smile on your face.

GL

Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
SOCALGUY2007MCS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silhouette88
I wouldn't take it to the dealer...if they even did offer to do something they would just outsource it to some detailer and overcharge you.

Best thing is probably to find a local, reputable car detailing shop and have them go at it.

If that doesn't work, roll down all the windows and just drive the heck out of it. It won't get the smell out but it'll put a smile on your face.

GL
I agree, if all else fails just enjoy the car... the smile on your face you make the smell subside.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 PM
hexon
2nd Gear
I've managed to get a lot of my mini's previous owners smoke smells out of my mini by doing a few different things. Maybe this will work for you. First, I replaced the in cabin air filter with an activated carbon filter. Next I shampooed and vacuumed the carpet and wiped down all the surfaces. I also mixed some laundry detergent and water and used a rag to gently scrub down the headliner. I then bought a product called "ozium" and sprayed the car daily.

My uncle has had some problems in the past with musty smells in his car and he shampooed and vacuumed the carpet. Then he put a dehumidifier in the car for a day or two. He said this vastly improved the smell of the car.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
Damp-Rid is worth a try, get the little bucket size from a home improvement store. it will help considerably, dunno if it will fully cure it.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think anyone mentioned the absolute "cheapest" way to get rid of Smokers Smell...a cup of White Vinegar placed in a bowl and left in the Car overnight will fix this problem. No need to Shampoo/Vacuum the Carpets either!!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:40 AM
MI_MINI
1st Gear
I got my R53 51 weeks ago. Reeked of stale smoke. I got a three pack of Little Tree air fresheners. One each under the front seats and the third hangs from the coat hook behind the driver's seat. Perked things right up. So, on the 21st, to celebrate one year in my MINI, I will put a fresh set in. New Car Smell, of course.

Motor On!
Chris

Last edited by MI_MINI; 06-19-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Typo