1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini Owner - Rescued 2004 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
hawki
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner - Rescued 2004 Cooper S

Hi Everyone, I'm in Portland, OR. I just purchased a 2004 Mini Cooper S, Dark Silver, 6 speed manual from a wrecking yard. It was vandalized. Keyed (scratched up and down the side of the car), seats cut, some of the instrument panel pocked in. It was considered a total loss, someone was really mad at someone. Anyway, it runs amazing. Most damage appears cosmetic and it doesn't look that bad once I cleaned it up. Other than the vandalism, the car is in great shape and drives great.
I have wanted a Cooper S for quite sometime, decided to take on a project. I have already replaced fuses, got most everything working. Here are the main things that I have to do.

1. Both low beam headlights are not working (they are Xenon), high beams are fine. Not sure if bulbs are burned out or if ballasts are bad - strange that they are both out???
2. Back-up light not working - not sure how to get to the bulb??
3. Black pillar cover missing on passenger side
4. Replace seats (already looking in wrecking yards and online)
5. Replace tachometer (same as #2)
6. Possibly put in a headliner (it's not that bad)
7. Paint the lower half (don't worry I have some friendly help here so it won't cost an arm and a leg)

My wife and I are thrilled to have it and are really excited about getting it back in shape. We just drove it 300 miles yesterday RT to Seattle and it didn't miss a beat!

I will post pics within a couple of days so that you can see the "before" before we do much more.

I am reasonably handy mechanically but have never worked on Minis.

My biggest concern is getting the headlights working so any advice here would be greatly appreciated or for that matter - any advice concerning the whole thing.

thanks!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Nice find! A little elbow grease, and the car is really yours.

I got my A-Pillar cover from MINI Mania. It wasn't the cheapest, but they had it in stock.

As for the seats, be certain to get the sport seats. All S models had them, and so did some Coopers (like mine, with the sport package). It's hard to describe the differences, and sometimes in photos it's hard to tell. But in person, it's apparent. Don't go by Lumbar support adjustment, I believe that was an option for either seat type.

Oh, and post some before and after pics.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hawki

My biggest concern is getting the headlights working so any advice here would be greatly appreciated ...............
You may wish to send a PM to member GreatBear. He is an amazing knowledge source of all things Gen1 MINIs related.

...Les

Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM
hawki
Neutral
Thanks for your responses. I PM'ed GreatBear no response yet. I am still looking for a solution to the Headlight problem. I might re-post in the "hatch" area. Also, still stumped on how to get to the back-up light bulb.

I will try to get some pics of the before up before I do anything major.

thanks again.