1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
BigPanda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdoel
Well, here's my opinion (not that I asked for it).

A month from now, the wait will be over either way. You'll either have the perfect car you wanted. Or you'll have the next best thing. I think you'd be better off getting the car that you custom designed for yourself.

I think you'll be much happier in the long run.
Big +1

There is a study out there that stated that the longer we can put off acquiring a material possession, the longer we enjoy it. I know this is cold comfort, but I also had to fight the urge to buy a 90% right vehicle off the lot instead of ordering the 100% right one. It's worth the wait, so far!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
Originally Posted by deejay_001
Oh boy saw a clubman. Southampton white with burgandy stripes. May be picking it up Wednesday.

Think hard - you have waited this long - dont settle

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
TELY
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by winstonallegheneyiii
i think i agree! However, the vdc told the dealer they were waiting for a mirror cap to be painted? There is something wrong with that statement. The car has been at the vdc for over a week and that they're just now getting a cap 'painted?' these caps are factory painted and ready to go? I think this is a lame coverup. I'm worried about hawkling. I think if this was winston, i would want that car and not another one. I was in love with my car from the moment i ordered it and i grew more and more attached to him as his production was completed and he was on tombarra. Its a tough decision my friend that only you can make.
+1

Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
TELY
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=BigPanda;3545999]Big +1

There is a study out there that stated that the longer we can put off acquiring a material possession, the longer we enjoy it.

I agree!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WinstonAllegheneyIII
There is something wrong with that statement. The car has been at the VDC for over a week and that they're just now getting a cap 'painted?'
I agree. Your car was offloaded on the 29th, and for nine days they kept you in the dark, making up some story about the trucker perhaps taking a holiday break, until they finally admit your car was damaged, but not to worry, it's just the mirror cap!

Sorry, something's missing.

Of course, it's true that damage does occur (probably more often than it should), but the VDC is there to fix such things, not to mislead the customer.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
deejay_001
3rd Gear
I appreciate your opinions. I do agree that the dealer has nothing to do with what happened but they do have something to do with keeping me informed. I do not trust anything they tell me now because it took my email to them to get them to say that it was damaged. Maybe it was coincidence but I've asked them time and time again to just call someone and I was just getting the same response "what we told you is all we know". While at Seattle mini today, the salesman showed me my car I ordered in the system while looking for similarly configured mini's and it displayed a "D" for damaged. It also showed a date of 7/3/2012 which is when the damage was discovered. So this whole time it's possible they knew that it was damaged but was hoping I would keep quite until I received Hawkling.

I absolutely loved the the Southampton we saw today. The wife did as well. Like I mentioned in an earlier post after viewing Winston, we wanted white but tried not go down the white route again but after seeing this clubman today, wow. Everything we wanted is in this. Even the mini connected (no nav). The only thing I'm torn about is the size, I like the size of the hardtop but this is not that much bigger but bigger enough to fit the kids as well.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM
deejay_001
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by razz
I agree. Your car was offloaded on the 29th, and for nine days they kept you in the dark, making up some story about the trucker perhaps taking a holiday break, until they finally admit your car was damaged, but not to worry, it's just the mirror cap!

Sorry, something's missing.

Of course, it's true that damage does occur (probably more often than it should), but the VDC is there to fix such things, not to mislead the customer.
Exactly how I felt before my email to them today and how I feel even more now. The salesman today tried to click on the "D" in his system but the vin doesn't belong to that dealer so it doesn't show what happened. My current MA may be telling me it's just a mirror cap to keep me interested. Who knows. Well, apparently I have to sign something like a damage report when they finally receive Hawkling and that will show the true damage. So maybe it is just a mirror cap.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
deejay_001
3rd Gear
Oops, I've been calling it the Southampton package but it's just Hampton.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Vapok
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BigPanda
Big +1

There is a study out there that stated that the longer we can put off acquiring a material possession, the longer we enjoy it. I know this is cold comfort, but I also had to fight the urge to buy a 90% right vehicle off the lot instead of ordering the 100% right one. It's worth the wait, so far!
I would like to chime in as well and give a +1 on this.

As much as the Hampton may seem like a nice car, it would always be the car you "setttled" with, or second best. You're desiring your Hawking so much, that any MINI is going to look better and be more attractive.

The reward will pay off in droves if you wait for the car you really wanted. The one you ordered, that is having quite the trip to get to you. Imagine the story that can be told about your car, and the memories of it.

The Hampton that you're looking at isn't going to have that same story... it isn't going to have that personality. It's going to simply be the car off the dealer lot.

Trust me, speaking from experience, ... wait. =)

Hawkling will arrive and will arrive in full splendor. The damage in transit is minor, and the VDC has the ability, parts, and know how to make it a factory fix and one that you won't even notice.

Distance makes a heart grow fonder.

My two cents. =)

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM
deejay_001
3rd Gear
I believe everything happens for a reason. I actually prefer the color scheme of the Hampton Clubman but the size of the hardtop.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
pdoel
3rd Gear
I think I agree! However, the VDC told the dealer they were waiting for a mirror cap to be painted? There is something wrong with that statement. The car has been at the VDC for over a week and that they're just now getting a cap 'painted?' these caps are factory painted and ready to go?
No, the caps wouldn't be factory painted. Keep in mind, the VDC has a full body shop, for just these reasons. It's more efficient, and makes more sense to have these items unpainted, ready to go at the VDC or even the dealership. Otherwise, they'd need to have body parts in every color stored. Doesn't make sense.

So they get the parts unpainted, and are fully prepared and capable to paint them to match any car that could show up damaged.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
lara
1st Gear
Tirranna

sailwx doesn't have anything on the Tirranna's location for the past 48 hours. Before that, it has something every 1-3 hours. Should I be worried?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Card
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lara
sailwx doesn't have anything on the Tirranna's location for the past 48 hours. Before that, it has something every 1-3 hours. Should I be worried?
I wouldn't worry. The ships usually go out of range until the get closer to port. It looks like it is still scheduled to arrive in Baltimore on July 17 and Savannah on the 20th.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No, the caps wouldn't be factory painted. Keep in mind, the VDC has a full body shop, for just these reasons. It's more efficient, and makes more sense to have these items unpainted, ready to go at the VDC or even the dealership. Otherwise, they'd need to have body parts in every color stored. Doesn't make sense.

So they get the parts unpainted, and are fully prepared and capable to paint them to match any car that could show up damaged.
I would have to agree with this. The only caps they may keep in stock would be the common black, silver, white and chrome. Body colors would have to be painted to match.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
PMKNHD
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
deejay.

Listen up,
Hawkling would not be Hawkling with pretty little red ribbons all over him.
True, the color schemes of the Hampton packages are attractive and the wheels look cool too but I believe the reef blue was a Hampton option and Hawkling has that right. The best of both worlds. When you see the sun shine on that Reef Blue Hawkling your eyes will be as wide as a little bitty baby looking at a a a pacifier, yeah that's it a pacifier.
Let's look at this from Hawkling's standpoint, he has a damaged wing and is dying to fly home to you. If you turn your back on him now he may go into the old cemetery and invoke Pumpkinhead to swiftly deal his vengeance!

The big problem I've seen is that there is NO WAY that there is no trail to follow in it's entirety from an order on paper to delivery. There is a paper trail written or on computer for everything else, how could someone expect us to believe that wouldn't stand true for a $25,000 + + + car.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear

I agree! That does make sense. Thank you for clarifying that for me

Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
I believe everything happens for a reason. I actually prefer the color scheme of the Hampton Clubman but the size of the hardtop.
As I said earlier, only you can make that decision. Think long and hard on it and weigh your options with each car. I admit I will be sad if you don't choose Hawkling, but this is your choice and your money, not mine. Shame I'm not in the market for another MINI

Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PMKNHD
deejay.

Listen up,
Hawkling would not be Hawkling with pretty little red ribbons all over him.
True, the color schemes of the Hampton packages are attractive and the wheels look cool too but I believe the reef blue was a Hampton option and Hawkling has that right. The best of both worlds. When you see the sun shine on that Reef Blue Hawkling your eyes will be as wide as a little bitty baby looking at a a a pacifier, yeah that's it a pacifier.
Let's look at this from Hawkling's standpoint, he has a damaged wing and is dying to fly home to you. If you turn your back on him now he may go into the old cemetery and invoke Pumpkinhead to swiftly deal his vengeance!

The big problem I've seen is that there is NO WAY that there is no trail to follow in it's entirety from an order on paper to delivery. There is a paper trail written or on computer for everything else, how could someone expect us to believe that wouldn't stand true for a $25,000 + + + car.
agreed 100%

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
I still haven't been able to drive Winston since early Saturday morning because of our rain. <pouting> I'll find a "pouting" thread...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
TELY
3rd Gear
I still haven't been able to drive Winston since early Saturday morning because of our rain. <pouting> I'll find a "pouting" thread...
Oh....just take him for a drive in the rain already! He'll love it! Viv parks on my driveway and she's been rained on quite a bit. I drove her through the hill country at night in a big rain....it was fun!!!
As long as there's no hail....of course!

Last edited by TELY; 07-09-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added something
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
TELY
3rd Gear
You do what you feel in your gut and heart. I'll just be glad when you finally have this all behind you!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
"Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our MINI's... (lame soap opera music playing)

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
TELY
3rd Gear
"Like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our MINI's... (lame soap opera music playing)
Bwaaa, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!
I mentioned on a thread earlier....a MINI stalkers reality show would be a hoot!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
deejay_001
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TELY
You do what you feel in your gut and heart. I'll just be glad when you finally have this all behind you!
as will I. With the months of Hawkling talk and anticipation, I feel like I'd be giving up my baby if I don't go with Hawkling. If I go with the hampton, I'd have to think of a different name. As for the reef blue color, that was always a second choice.

OK, enough of the drama from my side. I'll not talk about it for a while. Next post about this saga will be a pic of the one we choose.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
as will I. With the months of Hawkling talk and anticipation, I feel like I'd be giving up my baby if I don't go with Hawkling. If I go with the hampton, I'd have to think of a different name. As for the reef blue color, that was always a second choice.

OK, enough of the drama from my side. I'll not talk about it for a while. Next post about this saga will be a pic of the one we choose.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, don't keep us in suspense! We thought we were family?

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group