1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011 | 11:01 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by riveratsx4
I checked and it says it customs release and liner release. Anyone know what liner release is?
How and where did you check the customs status of your car?

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:01 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
..ok it's Dec. 2nd. Has anyone seen the cars yet?

Originally Posted by chaswyck
@Phx JCW - "I talked to my dealer yesterday, and he mentioned that the Mini 's will be one of the first off the boat??...don't know how or why he would know that."

Because they were the last ones on so they will be the first ones off. INCLUDING MINE!!!!!

Old 12-02-2011 | 01:47 AM
Purie
3rd Gear
It looks like the Torrens is parked

Do they work overnight and/or the weekends? I'm wondering if i should get my hopes up that we might get our cars Saturday or Sunday.

My MA also told me that our ordered cars get priority and moved along quicker. I wonder if the car carrier will go straight to the dealership or have to make stops on the way.

Old 12-02-2011 | 03:13 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
It probably depends on how many are on the ship for a particular dealer. I see you're in Irvine. If you ordered from Irvine MINI there's at least three cars going there, yours and two of mine (the "real" one and the one the dealer ordered wrong). Maybe there's enough to fill a truck. It doesn't matter to us whether they work weekends or not because the ship will be unloaded today. It's scheduled to leave for Tacoma tomorrow. It must be a sight to behold when they unload 6,300 cars in that short a time.

Last edited by chaswyck; 12-02-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2011 | 03:25 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimichi
My baby is at the port of exit to!! Does this mean my car is also shipping out the middle of the month?? wahhh!! :( I want it sooo bad!!
Probably! Mine JUST missed the boat by a day or two...and I thought they left every week...apparently not if my car will be sitting at the port for almost/over a month! That doesn't make me happy! This is insanity!

Old 12-02-2011 | 06:24 AM
Fastblue
2nd Gear
You lucky folks on the Torrens are docked.
The Mignon was 25* 36' N 55* 18' W at 0900 Z.
25* 12' N 56* 06' W at 1200. Chuggung right along.....

Old 12-02-2011 | 06:26 AM
Purie
3rd Gear
It probably depends on how many are on the ship for a particular dealer. I see you're in Irvine. If you ordered from Irvine MINI there's at least three cars going there, yours and two of mine (the "real" one and the one the dealer ordered wrong). Maybe there's enough to fill a truck. It doesn't matter to us whether they work weekends or not because the ship will be unloaded today. It's scheduled to leave for Tacoma tomorrow. It must be a sight to behold when they unload 6,300 cars in that short a time.
I actually ordered mine through Crevier along with a couple others. So that makes it at least 5 cars to our area :D

I also just checked WW's site to track my car and it still's awaiting the last to check marks of customs release and liner release (I think liner is for the departure from port).

My best guest would put us around the 7th or 8th. Then if I get it earlier I'll pretend to be surprised, lol.

Old 12-02-2011 | 06:45 AM
merlot
2nd Gear
Picked her up last night! My only issue is the dealer installed stripes: they have lots of bubbles. MA told me it's water and should evaporate in a few days. We'll see...

Old 12-02-2011 | 06:53 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Who install the accessories?

Originally Posted by SCMountaineer
Ive heard, but dont know for sure, that often it passes customs before the boat even docks. Then it takes 2 days or so to move through the VDC (more if there is damage or you're having a lot of port-installed accessories done) before climbing on a truck for one final trip. (my poor car has been on that truck for three days now to come four hours away!!)
Hi my 2012 LthngBl MC (Base wasn't sure of the proper initials) is on the Torrens (Or now unloading), and I was wondering where they install the Stripes and accessories? Dealer told me they do it. But not sure about them. I heard great things but I am not sure they have been upfront with me about everything. I know they tried to overcharge for the extended maintainance plan.

I saw this post from SCMountaineer, but didn't see a definite answer as to whether the VDC did it or the dealer.

I am glad I found this topic. My MA didn't give me the tracking info he said he would. So I have been in the dark about the Torrens progress.

Waiting for this car is hard. I wish I could switch my purchase to another dealer in Denver. Not sure I am happy here.

Old 12-02-2011 | 07:11 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by merlot
Picked her up last night! My only issue is the dealer installed stripes: they have lots of bubbles. MA told me it's water and should evaporate in a few days. We'll see...

I hope you can feel my immense jealousy radiating through the internet at you.

Old 12-02-2011 | 07:23 AM
SFBayLaser
Neutral
I checked and it says it customs release and liner release. Anyone know what liner release is?
I would suspect it has to do with customs release and to add support to that thought I did find this posted to another forum a few years back:

This may help from the "Glossary of International Shipping Terms"

Line Release System - The Line Release System, a part of Customs' Automated Commercial System, is designed for the release and tracking of shipments through the use of personal computers and bar code technology. To qualify for line release, a commodity must have a history of invoice accuracy, and be selected by local Customs districts on the basis of high volume. To release the merchandise, Customs reads the bar code into a personal computer, verifies that the bar code matches the invoice data, and enters the quantity. The cargo release is transmitted to the Automated Commercial System, which establishes an entry and the requirement for an entry summary, and provides the Automated Broker Interface system participants with release information.

Old 12-02-2011 | 07:26 AM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
I'm also on the Torrens through Crevier...

Getting really antsy. Tint guy is queued up and ready to go and my box of Zaino is waiting for its arrival.

Old 12-02-2011 | 07:26 AM
dopp
Neutral
Anyone else on the California Highway? It's outside Brunswick, GA now and pulling in to the Colonel's Island Terminal! We're getting off the boat TODAY!

Old 12-02-2011 | 08:45 AM
riveratsx4
1st Gear
My MA from Crevier said it will be 5 -8 days from today until it arrives to the dealer which makes no sense.

Old 12-02-2011 | 09:16 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
My MA from Crevier said it will be 5 -8 days from today until it arrives to the dealer which makes no sense.
Im at 9 days and counting from when my car got to the VDC and it STILL has not arrived at the dealer. (no port-applied options had to be installed)

Old 12-02-2011 | 09:24 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
@SC Mountaineer - Where is your car going?
One day we're all going to look back at this and laugh.

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:16 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
@SC Mountaineer - Where is your car going?
One day we're all going to look back at this and laugh.
It got off the boat in Brunswick and is going to Century BMW/MINI in Greenville (very near the US BMW plant). Normally, once a car is released to the carrier it is at Century the same day, or at most the next morning. But mine was released on Monday! Just got a call from my MA, car is arriving this afternoon, and she let me choose whether to pick it up tonight, sans stripes and clear bra and bring it back Monday, or pick it up Monday with everything done. Don't think I have to tell you what I decided!

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:18 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tank251
Hi my 2012 LthngBl MC (Base wasn't sure of the proper initials) is on the Torrens (Or now unloading), and I was wondering where they install the Stripes and accessories? Dealer told me they do it. But not sure about them. I heard great things but I am not sure they have been upfront with me about everything. I know they tried to overcharge for the extended maintainance plan.

I saw this post from SCMountaineer, but didn't see a definite answer as to whether the VDC did it or the dealer.

I am glad I found this topic. My MA didn't give me the tracking info he said he would. So I have been in the dark about the Torrens progress.

Waiting for this car is hard. I wish I could switch my purchase to another dealer in Denver. Not sure I am happy here.
I've heard others say the dealer does it as well...so perhaps it varies by dealer or maybe by VDC? My dealer is doing my stripes because I chose a non standard color, but they were pretty clear that any other accessories I ordered it with would be put on at the VDC. (makes more sense to me that the dealer would do all that--seems the VDC has enough going on!)

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:31 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I've heard others say the dealer does it as well...so perhaps it varies by dealer or maybe by VDC? My dealer is doing my stripes because I chose a non standard color, but they were pretty clear that any other accessories I ordered it with would be put on at the VDC. (makes more sense to me that the dealer would do all that--seems the VDC has enough going on!)
I have no idea about the stripes as I assumed they were put on at the Factory in the UK but my MA told me that any other accessories I ordered through the configurator (ie. driving lights) would be mounted at the dealer at an outside cost.

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:31 AM
2nd Gear
I'll be picking mine up in a few hours!!!

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:54 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Ive heard, but dont know for sure, that often it passes customs before the boat even docks. Then it takes 2 days or so to move through the VDC (more if there is damage or you're having a lot of port-installed accessories done) before climbing on a truck for one final trip. (my poor car has been on that truck for three days now to come four hours away!!)
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
I have no idea about the stripes as I assumed they were put on at the Factory in the UK but my MA told me that any other accessories I ordered through the configurator (ie. driving lights) would be mounted at the dealer at an outside cost.
I know in the MINI builder online you can select the stripes to be done at the factory (Shows $100) or do them as an accessory later. That was my $150 mistake. I didn't see the stripes at the first part where you pick the color. So I did mine as an accessory. Dealer charges $250 for them.

We live and learn.

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:26 PM
merlot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danigurrl
I hope you can feel my immense jealousy radiating through the internet at you.
Don't be too jealous, my stripes look like crap :(

Old 12-02-2011 | 01:03 PM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sticky
I'll be picking mine up in a few hours!!!
Luuuucky!!
Originally Posted by merlot
Don't be too jealous, my stripes look like crap :(
The bubbles might go away. I can't remember if bubbles were common with vinyl applications. If they don't go away in a couple days, I'd make the dealer redo it. $95 + $220 installed better be PERFECT. That's why I'm not getting my stripes done by the dealer, too much $ and I don't trust them (and I really like my dealership too!)

Old 12-02-2011 | 02:29 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Just spoke to my MA and he said I might be able to pick up my car on Sunday that came in on the Torrens.

Old 12-02-2011 | 02:55 PM
riveratsx4
1st Gear
Just spoke to my MA and he said I might be able to pick up my car on Sunday that came in on the Torrens.

Which dealership?

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group