1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To "riveratsx4" and "tbestpitch1"
Take this for what its worth.
Personally, the clear bra is a perfect solution to my self imposed OCD. There are some that will argue that you can repaint your front end for the same cost of some clear bra's. Although this maybe true, that mindset doesn't work for me. I don't want to look at my car everyday with more and more imperfections from rocks and other debris. Besides having the whole front end painted to perfectly match is no easy task. I am going to apply the clear bra to the entire front end and the whole hood because I don't even want to see the small ridge line on the partial hood bra's. Again, this is a personal thing for me, everyone has their own things they can live with or without.

Originally Posted by riveratsx4
I know it has only been a couple days but I have to say this is my first Mini and I love her!!!! And mine will be unique which I like. I just had Fiona's windows tinited yesterday and I am thinking about the clear bra. Does anyone have firsthand experience that it really works? It is expensive so I don't want to waste my money if it is not worth it.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbestpitch1
Just checked OL and my CR/W MCS is waiting for his cruise across the pond. I hope he gets a suite with a balcony.
Same here! I know my port of entry is Baltimore so I'm hoping to get on one of the next two WW ships heading that way on the 11th and 12th. Does anyone know if Mini ships cars with K-line to Baltimore? I haven't been able to clarify if they do.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
wingding
2nd Gear
My new Coupe S was on the Figaro..Just got the email from my MA and I am able to pick her up tomorrow.. WooHoo will post pics in the next few days...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 AM
meindc
2nd Gear
I was also on the Figaro and I am closer to Baltimore (in DC) than you! What strings did you pull to accomplish getting it tomorrow???

I am so jealous. My MA said Monday, the dealership is not open on Sundays.

Congratulations!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
Phx JCW: I'm picking up mine at Crevier and saw them load what looked to be MAKO!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
R56JCW that made me laugh out loud. I just sent my paperwork back to them for Saturday delivery so she can get to me on Sunday. Poor little MAKO she just wants to get home.

How you liking yours?...I know you have only had it for about 7 minutes but i am sure you already know.

Originally Posted by R56JCW
Phx JCW: I'm picking up mine at Crevier and saw them load what looked to be MAKO!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
Phx JCW--I'm still here! Short handed today and they are flooded with customers. About to finishing paperwork as we speak. Thanks to you and chaswyck for the heads up on the December rebate!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I would have to defer the credit you give me to Chaswyck....and I am sure the drink I owe him will be a 30 yrs scotch

I'm glad you got your rebate, that just makes it that much better. Congratulations!!!

The good thing about being out of state...my paperwork only took about 5 minutes to complete....the bad news its going to take about 2 days to get my car

Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
riveratsx4
1st Gear
Thanks for the feedback on the clear bra I guess I will get it scheduled for next week then. I really wanted to be sure since it is alot of $$$.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Where do you get the clear bra done? At the dealer?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I am going to a local detail shop that will doing the clear bra. I did ask the dealer for a quote and they were double what I could get it done locally. And the shop I am using routinely does Lamborghini and Ferrari's so I feel more comfortable than the dealer doing the install. Just for your reference the dealer quoted me around $1400 for full front/full hood and mirrors . The independent shop is doing full tint/custom stripes/and full clear bra for around $1600. It's not all about the money, but I feel more comfortable with the independent shop anyway.
Hope that helps

Originally Posted by danigurrl
Where do you get the clear bra done? At the dealer?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM
danigurrl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
I am going to a local detail shop that will doing the clear bra. I did ask the dealer for a quote and they were double what I could get it done locally. And the shop I am using routinely does Lamborghini and Ferrari's so I feel more comfortable than the dealer doing the install. Just for your reference the dealer quoted me around $1400 for full front/full hood and mirrors . The independent shop is doing full tint/custom stripes/and full clear bra for around $1600. It's not all about the money, but I feel more comfortable with the independent shop anyway.
Hope that helps
That seems reasonable since it's around $200 for the stripes install and $200-300 for tint (at least around where I live.) I'm not sure if I'll do the clear bra; it's a little out of my price range and I'm nervous about yellowing/scratching. A friend of mine bought a 2004 MCS with a clear bra and had it peeled off because it was discolored and the paint was all scratched around the edge of it. I think I'll just keep my distance from cars ahead of me and keep some touch-up paint handy.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I forgot to mention the independent shop is also doing a full detail for the $1600 price.
Originally Posted by danigurrl
That seems reasonable since it's around $200 for the stripes install and $200-300 for tint (at least around where I live.) I'm not sure if I'll do the clear bra; it's a little out of my price range and I'm nervous about yellowing/scratching. A friend of mine bought a 2004 MCS with a clear bra and had it peeled off because it was discolored and the paint was all scratched around the edge of it. I think I'll just keep my distance from cars ahead of me and keep some touch-up paint handy.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Well I got word my car is on the transport and will be delivered to the shop around noon tomorrow

Will finally get to see her in person

Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
Excited for you man! I just detailed the car with Zaino Z2 Pro, Z6, and Z8. Tint is next week, then picture time...

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thank you. I look forward to the results of your photo shoot :-)
Now that you have her in your hands, was the wait worth it?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
It was well worth it. Haven't had a chance to drive it much because weekends are family time. =)

I don't know how to post pictures tithe board from my phone directly, but I found a black plastic piece at the bottom of each rear suspension arm. Feels and looks like I could just rip it off. Called the MA who asked a technician and supposedly it's a "cover" of some sort. Not functional, doesn't need to be officially removed, but not an issue if it pops off while driving...supposedly.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
Btw for anyone who likes Zaino, I gotta say the Z8 spray finisher is like magic. Surface is left super glossy, deep, and smooth.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I understand the weekend thing, it's the same for me as well.

"black plastic piece" thats odd??.. and even more odd the explanation from the MA. He is probably right though, Im sure it's not a big deal

I will post some pics of mine tomorrow as well. I told them to leave the protective plastic film on the exterior but I am sure they didn't listen so I may actually get to see her red top. If they did though I will probably leave it on for the drive over to the detail shop. Either way I should get some decent pics.

Enjoy the family and have fun with the new toy in 36 hrs

It was well worth it. Haven't had a chance to drive it much because weekends are family time. =)

I don't know how to post pictures tithe board from my phone directly, but I found a black plastic piece at the bottom of each rear suspension arm. Feels and looks like I could just rip it off. Called the MA who asked a technician and supposedly it's a "cover" of some sort. Not functional, doesn't need to be officially removed, but not an issue if it pops off while driving...supposedly.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
I can tell you that MAKO had her red top covered when I saw her at Crevier...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
There is hope then. Guess its not a big deal if it's not on, it just offers a little more protection. Only about 15 hours or so to go ..then MAKO is all mine

I can tell you that MAKO had her red top covered when I saw her at Crevier...

Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Tank251
4th Gear
Torrens 12/2/2011 Group

Anyone else from the Torrens (That docked 12/2/2011) in Colorado still waiting for their car?

My MA is out of town until Monday. I tried to get another MA check on my car and all I got was it was still at the VDC.

Which seems odd since several of the other cars are already delivered.

I hope someone here knows more.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Hope that helps
My dealer quoted me $900 for the full hood clear bra, mirrors, bumper, and fenders (not sure what part of the fenders are done or if it's the entire fender.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Well I got word my car is on the transport and will be delivered to the shop around noon tomorrow

Will finally get to see her in person
Congratulations on making it to the finish line! Like all of us, you're going to agree that it was worth the wait. Now that I've had Habanero for a few days, the long, frustrating wait seems like a distant memory already.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
The whole family got to meet MAKO about an hour ago. I will tell you I love the color combo. Since I had never seen the combination in person I wasn't really sure about it.
It was a quick hello, as we had to close her up in the shop. I hope she likes her new legs and shoes, and other goodies. I will post pictures a little later today. Thanks to everyone for all the help it getting through this process.

Quick Reply: "Those Waiting for a 2012" Support Group